Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Prospect Profile: Drew Stubbs

Re: Prospect Profile: Drew Stubbs

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Dayton is not playing to much of a hitter park outside of being favorable to the HR this year.

http://firstinning.com/pf/?type=basi...50&season=2007
    Ya, none of the factors are too extreme there, but they do favour the hitter a little bit.

As I said, these factors are not nearly extreme enough to make a giant difference in Stubb's numbers. His crazy splits are more due to being random than anything.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Last 5 games from Stubbs:

Code:
    Date	OPP	 AVG	AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	BB	SO	SB	CS

Jul 19	CED	.250	4	1	1	1	0	0	0	1	3	0	0
    Jul 20	CED	.000	3	0	0	0	0	0	0	1	2	0	0
    Jul 21	@KCC	.500	4	2	2	0	0	0	0	1	0	0	0
    Jul 22	@KCC	.750	4	0	3	2	0	0	1	0	1	0	1
    Jul 23	@KCC	.250	4	0	1	1	0	0	0	0	1	0	0
    He's continued the hot streak. He's even mixing in some doubles. His hot July has pushed his line to .369/.401/.770.

The OBP is nice, but it would be nice if Stubbs went on a bit of a homer binge to get his SLG into the .430 range.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Granted we can never take months out of guys numbers, but if we take out Drews beyong horrible June his numbers would look like this: .290/.399/.479 for an OPS of .878 (not counting todays numbers). Its actually rather promising to look at it like that.

Last 6 games from Stubbs:

Code:
     Date	 OPP	 AVG	AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	BB	SO	SB	CS

Jul 24	@KCC	.000	3	1	0	0	0	0	0	1	1	0	0
    Jul 26	@PEO	.000	4	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	3	0	0
    Jul 27	@PEO	.250	4	1	1	0	0	0	0	1	3	0	0
    Jul 28	@PEO	.400	5	0	2	0	0	0	0	0	1	0	0
    Jul 29	@PEO	.250	4	1	1	0	0	0	1	0	1	1	0
    Jul 31	WIS	.000	4	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	2	0	0
    After his major hot streak Stubbs has gone in another K binge. I expect him to continue being pretty inconsistent. He still clearly hasn't made enough strides to really merit consideration for a move up to Sarasota until next season.

Current season stats:

Code:
    Team	League	 AVG	G	AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	TB	BB	SO	SB	CS	 OBP	 SLG	 OPS
    DAY	MID	.257	98	378	68	97	21	2	8	28	146	58	115	21	13	.362	.386	.748

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Let's remember this is a former three-year college player who is currently playing in low-A ball. I could live with his numbers if he was at AA or maybe even high-A like a player his age and experience (not to mention draft position) should be.

Sorry, nothing against the young man personally, but we're here to talk baseball and be real about it. This was a horrible pick IMO. I thought it was bad at the time (with Lincecum sitting right there) but i was wrong. It wasn't bad, it was horrible. At this point, I am hoping he can develop into a solid No. 4 OF for us in a couple years, someone who gets some spot starts against lefties. And that is really a stretch IMO. And it's very low expectations for a top 10 overall pick of the draft. Yes, we needed a right-handed hitting OF and we still do. Hamilton and Bruce are 2/3 of the OF of the future and they need a righty to go with them. But you don't draft based on need in MLB and that's what I think the Reds did with Stubbs. In no way was he the best player available, or even close. And yes, it's easy to say that almost 14 months removed from the draft, but I never did like that pick.

All that said, go out and prove me wrong Drew. Of course I will be rooting for him like he's my son as soon as he puts that Reds uniform on. And I'm sure he'll get his shot as a former first-rounder. But if he's ever a full-time starter, I will be shocked.

With all do respect, this discussion has really happened a million times here. It was a bad pick. Lincecum was the choice. 90% of Redszone said so at the time.

I was hoping this thread could be more about Drew Stubbs' progress rather than guys the Reds should have had instead of Drew Stubbs. But I definitely do agree that Stubbs is not where he needs to be. He has a very long road to go as a hitter.
    Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 08-01-2007 at 12:15 AM.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

For those who know how to find these stats easily, how did Lincecum's bonus compare to Stubbs'? Thanks.

Lincecum signed for $2.025M, and Stubbs signed for $2M. Cue the people who will claim the Reds' intention was signing the cheaper guy . . .

IT'S A STUBBS/LINCECUM DISCUSSION! THE ORGANIZATION IS IN SUCH DESPAIR!

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Let's remember this is a former three-year college player who is currently playing in low-A ball. I could live with his numbers if he was at AA or maybe even high-A like a player his age and experience (not to mention draft position) should be.

Sorry, nothing against the young man personally, but we're here to talk baseball and be real about it. This was a horrible pick IMO. I thought it was bad at the time (with Lincecum sitting right there) but i was wrong. It wasn't bad, it was horrible. At this point, I am hoping he can develop into a solid No. 4 OF for us in a couple years, someone who gets some spot starts against lefties. And that is really a stretch IMO. And it's very low expectations for a top 10 overall pick of the draft. Yes, we needed a right-handed hitting OF and we still do. Hamilton and Bruce are 2/3 of the OF of the future and they need a righty to go with them. But you don't draft based on need in MLB and that's what I think the Reds did with Stubbs. In no way was he the best player available, or even close. And yes, it's easy to say that almost 14 months removed from the draft, but I never did like that pick.

All that said, go out and prove me wrong Drew. Of course I will be rooting for him like he's my son as soon as he puts that Reds uniform on. And I'm sure he'll get his shot as a former first-rounder. But if he's ever a full-time starter, I will be shocked.
    Man I wish you were running the reds draft. The reds farm system would be in such a better state.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Seriously, can we not have another Stubbs/Lincecum debate? Especially in the prospect profile. These are supposed to be for information on the player to give others as much information about the player as possible, not about who someone else would have drafted instead.

uoduck1017

Well, if he continues at this pace, Austin Kearns' avatar will be right. Unfortunatley, he will probably be roaming CF for the Lookouts or the Bats, not the Reds.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Seriously, can we not have another Stubbs/Lincecum debate? Especially in the prospect profile. These are supposed to be for information on the player to give others as much information about the player as possible, not about who someone else would have drafted instead.
    Sorry, about furthering it doug, I really just didn't know if signability was a factor. What confuses me the most is how baseball executives seem to be more ignorant about building a baseball organization than a bunch of people posting on an internet website. I remember when Stubbs was drafted, and the bashing of the pick that followed, I just really wonder why general managers make life so difficult?

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by uoduck1017 View Post
    Well, if he continues at this pace, Austin Kearns' avatar will be right. Unfortunatley, he will probably be roaming CF for the Lookouts or the Bats, not the Reds.
    Stubbs is the type of prospect that will be traded if he disappoints for much longer. The Reds will try to wring whatever value from his draft status and tools and their $2 million that they can get.

In fact, they might deal him as soon as this offseason if they get someone dangling a decent relief arm or as a throw-in on a bigger deal. If Wayne and Co. feel like he's not going to get substantially better in 2008, they'll cash out before the market drops further.

Stubbs has an IsoD like I thought Jay Bruce would have. Pretty impressive, especially coupled with his defensive abilities in CF.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    I just used the stats from MiLB and copied them into note pad, and then organized them by how I wanted them to show up on the screen, and then put 'CODE' tags around them when I put the organized stats into Redszone.
    AK is this how you did the hitting chart as well? If not how did you?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?