Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Prospect Profile: Drew Stubbs

Re: Prospect Profile: Drew Stubbs

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Stubbs is the type of prospect that will be traded if he disappoints for much longer. The Reds will try to wring whatever value from his draft status and tools and their $2 million that they can get.

In fact, they might deal him as soon as this offseason if they get someone dangling a decent relief arm or as a throw-in on a bigger deal. If Wayne and Co. feel like he's not going to get substantially better in 2008, they'll cash out before the market drops further.
    this guy is probably available

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    AK is this how you did the hitting chart as well? If not how did you?
    Actually the hitting chart was just a picture. You just need to go into properties and copy the link to "insert the image".

Must've done something wrong, this is what I am getting!
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 08-01-2007 at 09:31 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Stubbs has been in a horrendous slump as of late.

Over his last 10 games he has a K/BB of 15:1 and has only 6 hits (2 doubles, 1 triple)

His line for the season sits at .351/.379/.730

However, today he did bust out going 3/4 with a homer and a SB. Hopefully things to come, but as I said, this has been probably his worst 10 game stretch of the season. He's done nothing right.

It is it just me, or does Stubbs alternate going through hot and cold spells. It seems like he will hit everything in sight one week, and another week he will be unable to hit anything.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

That sounds about right amarillo... which is why it gives me plenty of hope for his future. he can hit the crap out of the ball at times, so its just a matter of putting it all together.

If I have added these numbers correctly Drew Stubbs seems like a different hitter since he was dropped into the 5th spot in the order. In 35 PA he has walked only once. He has garnered 11 hits though, including 5 EBH. He has a .343 OBP and a .559. Another big difference is that he has struck out only 7 times. I recognize that this is an extremely small sample size, but it may indicate that Stubbs is now taking a different approach at the plate. Maybe as leadoff he was taking a lot more pitches in an attempt to get on base via a walk or a hit. And maybe taking more pitches also led to striking out more often. And maybe I am just grasping at straws. That is certainly a possibility. This bears watching.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    It is it just me, or does Stubbs alternate going through hot and cold spells. It seems like he will hit everything in sight one week, and another week he will be unable to hit anything.
    I would say it's more like going from ice-cold to possibly luke warm. And against pitchers much younger than him to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I would say it's more like going from ice-cold to possibly luke warm. And against pitchers much younger than him to boot.
    average age of a MWL player - 22 years old.

4 straight multi-hit games is a nice way to end a slump.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Drew seems to have responded well to being dropped to fifth or sixth in the order. Keltavious Jones has been leading off every game since his promotion.

Drew Stubbs line if you take his horrible June out of the equation
    .280/.381/.454 for an OPS of .835.

I know detractors, I know.... we could have had so and so, or he is 'too old', or 'you cant take out the month', blah blah blah blah blah.

The guy is not playing at 100%, or even really close to it and he is performing fine. He is not blowing anything out of the water or lighting the league on fire, but he is performing well. Not every guy will be a Jay Bruce type pick and be an absolute slam dunk.

Doug gives me hope
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Drew Stubbs line if you take his horrible June out of the equation
    .280/.381/.454 for an OPS of .835.

I know detractors, I know.... we could have had so and so, or he is 'too old', or 'you cant take out the month', blah blah blah blah blah.

The guy is not playing at 100%, or even really close to it and he is performing fine. He is not blowing anything out of the water or lighting the league on fire, but he is performing well. Not every guy will be a Jay Bruce type pick and be an absolute slam dunk.

It's just that there is strong evidence that most star players reach the majors by the age Drew Stubbs already is or a little older. If he's 25 by the time he gets to AAA, he's going to be branded a fourth/fifth OF and have an uphill battle for serious playing time.

While he may not be any older than the "average" MWL player, keep in mind the average MWL player ain't going to the big leagues, either.

As with most things, I think the truth is somewhere in between- he's not "just fine" given what the Reds spent on him, but you can't really say he's a bust yet, either.

Hes also played all season with an injury that he is going to need surgery to fix in the offseason. Outside of his June, he is playing just fine. And really, why is he branded a 4th/5th outfielder at 25? Ryan Howard didn't break into the majors until then.... sure he was blocked at first by Jim Thome, but he wasn't exactly blowing the league away in low A at the same age that Stubbs is.... and he is a first baseman.

Turn Off Ads?