Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Prospect Profile: Drew Stubbs

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Re: Prospect Profile: Drew Stubbs

With Stubbs' skills, the worst he can be is a fourth outfielder. If he lives up to his potential, I think he'll consistently surpass an .800 OPS every year. If not, I still think he'll be around .750.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    average age of a MWL player - 22 years old.
    Thanks. Your next assignment is to look up how many top 10 draft picks who played college ball are still playing in low-A ball the year after they were drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Thanks. Your next assignment is to look up how many top 10 draft picks who played college ball are still playing in low-A ball the year after they were drafted.
    Not many. Your job is to find me top 10 draft picks that were playing an entire season hurt the year after they were drafted. We can play this game all day.

What everyone else has to do with Drew Stubbs, I will not understand.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    With Stubbs' skills, the worst he can be is a fourth outfielder. If he lives up to his potential, I think he'll consistently surpass an .800 OPS every year. If not, I still think he'll be around .750.
    Same skillset as Dwayne Wise. No guarantee.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Same skillset as Dwayne Wise. No guarantee.
    I disagree with you very much on Stubbs and Wise having the same skillsets.

I think Stubbs' potential or lack thereof will be far more apparent next year than it is now. I'm willing to give him a full season sans injury.

That said, he hasn't impressed me at all outside of his ability to work a walk and his defense (which is based solely on hearsay, as I've never seen him play). He was quite underwhelming last year, but I suppose it could have just been getting used to hitting with wooden bats.

I'm not too optimistic, but I hope he proves me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    I think Stubbs' potential or lack thereof will be far more apparent next year than it is now. I'm willing to give him a full season sans injury.

That said, he hasn't impressed me at all outside of his ability to work a walk and his defense (which is based solely on hearsay, as I've never seen him play). He was quite underwhelming last year, but I suppose it could have just been getting used to hitting with wooden bats.

I'm not too optimistic, but I hope he proves me wrong.
    He was injured last year too.... different injury.

He was injured last year too.... different injury.

Last year they didn't call it 'turf toe', but it was a toe injury. Here is a link to a thread that discusses last years injury.
    “This one was a perfect one. I don’t know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. … I didn’t know he could speak like that.” Brayan Pena 5/21/14

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Last year they didn't call it 'turf toe', but it was a toe injury. Here is a link to a thread that discusses last years injury.
    A two-year toe injury that allows him to run, hit, and field daily.

That's some injury.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    A two-year toe injury that allows him to run, hit, and field daily.

That's some injury.
    But it doesnt allow him to run, hit or field like it would if he were healthy.

So even while being unhealthy, he is turning in a solid season outside of 1 month that was absolutely attrocious.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Not many. Your job is to find me top 10 draft picks that were playing an entire season hurt the year after they were drafted. We can play this game all day.

What everyone else has to do with Drew Stubbs, I will not understand.
    Fair enough. Let me just put it this way: I hope you are right about Stubbs and I am wrong. I want the Reds to win, period. And it's not Drew Stubbs' fault that we made a terrible decision by drafting him so early. That falls on Krivsky and crew.

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    That was not the only injury Drew was dealing with last year though.

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

That was not the only injury Drew was dealing with last year though.
    So then he's injury prone.

If you expect Stubbs to be the eight-best player out of the draft, I don't think it's fair because drafts never have and never will work out that way. But if you expect him to be the average #8 pick, then I think you're being fair. The thing is, here are the players who were signed as the #8 pick overall since 1990 (I omitted the most recent years because it's too early to know how they'll perform as Major Leaguers):

Tim Costo
    Pete Janicki
    Kirk Presley
    Todd Walker
    Todd Helton
    Chad Green
    J.J. Davis
    Felipe Lopez
    Bobby Bradley
    Matt Wheatland
    John VanBenschoten

As you can see, it won't take much at all for Stubbs to be one of the more successful players drafted in his slot. Personally, I think he'll be very successful by comparison (and all that would take would be for him to be an everyday center fielder for a Major League team).

But it doesnt allow him to run, hit or field like it would if he were healthy.

So even while being unhealthy, he is turning in a solid season outside of 1 month that was absolutely attrocious.
    Yeah, if we just remove the bad he's decent in low-A ball even having an injury so severe that it allows him to play every day.

Solid.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?