Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Buy low, sell high. It's time to shop...Brandon Phillips

Re: Buy low, sell high. It's time to shop...Brandon Phillips

If Brandon keeps playing like he is and improving like he has in the last few months he will be the best 2b in the league. You better give me a whole lot to trade that away. I want at least one of the prospects to have Jay Bruce potential and the other to have Homer Bailey potential. I would listen then. Once upon a time Cleveland had this up and coming 2B that they got from the Expos in a deal that couldn't quiet put it together but he had tremendous potential. It took a change of scenery to turn him around. I don't want a highly rated prospect for Phillips that might or might not mature here. 2 or 3 of them and I like my chances.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Because of GABP Phillips can hit 25-30 HRs and play Gold Glove defense. He would hit 20 in a non-band-box. Griffey and Dunn will hit the same number of home runs wherever they go because when they connect, the ball will leave any park. Those are the guys you can trade--and they have real value to, let's say, San Diego, because you need such power to hit a ball out there. I don't understand why some people want to hang on to Dunn and Griffey so much. You don't need their kind of power at GABP. Torii Hunter would have the same HR numbers at GABP as Griffey or Dunn, plus he plays Gold-Glove defense and would give you added speed. Griffey or Dunn will have about the same HR numbers (maybe a few less) in any other park. What this all means is you can get MUCH MORE relative value for your dollar and more complete players if you sign 20-30 HR guys who play good defense. They will become league-leading power hitters at GABP without sacrificing other aspects of the game.
    I thought Phillips had better numbers on the road than he did at home?
    Go BLUE!!!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Trade Brandon Phillips?

Are you crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    If Brandon keeps playing like he is and improving like he has in the last few months he will be the best 2b in the league.
    That Chase Utley fella is pretty good. :

You better give me a whole lot to trade that away. I want at least one of the prospects to have Jay Bruce potential and the other to have Homer Bailey potential. I would listen then. Once upon a time Cleveland had this up and coming 2B that they got from the Expos in a deal that couldn't quiet put it together but he had tremendous potential. It took a change of scenery to turn him around. I don't want a highly rated prospect for Phillips that might or might not mature here. 2 or 3 of them and I like my chances.
    Agreed.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I thought Phillips had better numbers on the road than he did at home?
    He does:

Home - .261/.315/.462
    Away - .303/.340/.515
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

In addition to being one of the best 2B in baseball already at his young age, Phillips comes on the cheap ($407K this year) and he can't be a free agent for a few more years. There is no reason to deal him right now. Just let him continue to grow into one of the best in the game and enjoy the ride.

That must sting for Cleveland. Of course, they don't notice it as much fighting for divisional titles each year. (Kills me to say that; I loath the Indians and all of their fans that jumped on the bandwagon in '95.)

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    In addition to being one of the best 2B in baseball already at his young age, Phillips comes on the cheap ($407K this year) and he can't be a free agent for a few more years. There is no reason to deal him right now. Just let him continue to grow into one of the best in the game and enjoy the ride.
    Enjoy watching Phillips put up great numbers for teams that regularly go 70-92? That's not a ride I want to take.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Put it this way:

Would the Mets consider trading Jose Reyes? (without a ridiculous return?)
    Would the Marlins consider trading Hanley Ramirez? (without a ridiculous return?)
    Would the Phillies consider trading Chase Utley? (without a ridiculous return?)

Guess who's next on that list?

Don't trade Brandon Phillips unless you get a ridiculous return. And by that I mean Andrew Miller, Matt Garza, Yovani Gallardo, or Chad Billingsley. Anything else is a loss.

There is no one in the organization that comes close to replacing the hole that Phillips would leave. Chris Valaika is probably the closest, and he's batting .140 in A ball.
    Go BLUE!!!

Man Pills

Jay Bruce, Joey Votto, Homer Bailey, and Johnny Cueto don't qualify?
    I was strictly talking about pitching. And no, Bailey and Cueto don't count. Sorry. Bullpen-ceiling arms, IMO.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Exactly. The only reason to sell high is so you can reinvest your gains in the next growth opportunity. Unfortuantely, unlike stocks, you can't simply bank the initial investment and trade only on the gains. You have to reinvest it all, which makes it a much riskier proposition, as you risk losing it all in the process.

Unless somebody offers you a package that is virtually guaranteed to be more valuable than Phillips ON THE FIELD, the risk isn't worth it. At some point, you have to actually capitalize on your gains. You'd basically need to trade Phillips for a copy of him, plus a good prospect or two and I don't know who would do that and why.

If somebody offers you a deal from which you think you are likely to realize more value, then go for it. I'm of the mindset that nobody is ever untouchable from a baseball perspective (perhaps marketing). The Cardinals COULD theoretically get enough value to trade away Pujols. However, you have be careful not to be so willing to take that next big risk that you fail to ever decide on a base. You could be up $50,000 at the blackjack table, but until you cash it in, it's just chips. If you keep betting, you run the risk of losing it. At some point, you cash in.
    I think getting back one Aaron Harang would be worth double what Phillips is currently worth to this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I think getting back one Aaron Harang would be worth double what Phillips is currently worth to this team.
    In all of baseball, how many Harang-type deals (for a position player) have been made in the last five years?
    Go BLUE!!!

I was strictly talking about pitching. And no, Bailey and Cueto don't count. Sorry. Bullpen-ceiling arms, IMO.
    Bullpen-ceiling arms? I think some around here may disagree.
    Go BLUE!!!

Man Pills

Bullpen-ceiling arms? I think some around here may disagree.
    I'm sure they would disagree. But I'm okay with others being wrong.

Bailey had the worst debut relative to his hype that I can recall--and I've been a fan for 30+ years.

I'm sure they would disagree. But I'm okay with others being wrong.

Bailey had the worst debut relative to his hype that I can recall--and I've been a fan for 30+ years.
    I think that's b/c we're so close to it. Lots of other highly tauted have struggled early on in their careers. Scott Kazmir comes immediately to mind.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

unfortunately I have to agree. We saw a fastball that was mostly 91-93 that he had trouble spotting, a rolling curveball that had a "hit me" sign and a rarely used changeup. He may have the stuff but he has a long way to go to be a solid major league starter. From what I saw the ETA is more like 2009.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?