Born: 04/10/1982
    Birthplace: Hollywood, CA
    College: Nevada
    Height: 6' 3"
    Weight: 225
    Bats: L
    Throws: L
    Acquired: 16th Round of 2003 Draft
    Personal: Cousin of former NFL great Eric Dickerson.

Career Stats:

2007 Stats:

2007 Splits:

Accolades:
    2005 FSL All-Star
    2005 FSL All-Star Game MVP
    2004 MID All-Star

Baseball America Post 2006 Best Tools in Reds Organization:
    Best Athlete
    Fastest Baserunner
    Best Outfielder

My Take:
    If you had to pick one word to discribe Chris Dickerson, it's tools. He has them all. He is fast, he plays suberp defense, he has a good arm, he walks a ton, and he has developing power. The problem is, his power hasen't developed, he strikes out alot, and he doesn't hit for a very high average. There is good news for Chris, he is still does have some time. At 25 and in AAA, with his tools, he still has 2 years left before he goes from prospect to AAA fodder. To take the step from prospect to major league player, he MUST cut down on his strikeouts (118 in only 333 Abs) and his power needs to develop more. With an BA/OB split over .100, if he could hit .260 with decent power and less strikeouts he could become a ML outfielder. It's not everyday a CF comes around with his defensive skills.

He has the tools, but they still need time to developing. While he does have some time, the clock is ticking on him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Prospect Profile: Chris Dickerson

Extended Stats:

Chris went 3-5 today with a 2B, 3B, and RBI.

.254/.357/.409/.766 is his line for the season. However after his first bad month in AAA, he has an OPS north of .800 in June and July.

It will be interesting to see if Dunn and/or Griffey is traded if he gets a call up. Unfortunately, I see Krivsky sitting on his hands and not doing much at the deadline.

Dickerson hit for the cycle tonight.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/n...milb&fext=.jsp

Chris Dickerson swung a mighty bat for the Bats, hitting for the cycle as Louisville routed host Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, 13-7, on Thursday.
    Dickerson singled on a bunt to lead off the game, hit a solo homer, his eighth, in the fifth, and laced a bases-loaded triple in the sixth. In the seventh, Dickerson flew out to center field to end the inning.

"After I lined out to end the seventh, I thought that was it," the 25-year-old outfielder said. "It was the last out of the inning, and I knew we would have to go through the lineup in two innings. But with the way we were swinging the bats, I thought we might be able to do that."

With two outs in the ninth, Dickerson took advantage of his extra chance, dropping a double just inside the left-field line.

"In the ninth, I just tried to take the same approach that I had the previous five at-bats and just put a good swing on the ball," said Dickerson, who scored three times. "I've never hit for the cycle, so it was definitely a special night for me."

The cycle was the second of the year for Louisville, as Anderson Machado also achieved the feat on May 18 at Toledo. It was also the second of three on the day in Minor League Baseball. Visalia's Derek Bruce and Lexington's Jordan Parraz also accomplished the feat.

Joey Votto had a huge game as well for Louisville (51-53), driving in four runs and ripping his 13th and 14th homers in the fifth and sixth innings while Jesse Gutierrez added a solo homer, his fifth, in the seventh.

Louisville starter Phil Dumatrait (10-5) picked up the win, allowing one run on two hits in five frames.

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre starter Matt DeSalvo (6-3) was ripped for seven runs -- six earned -- on eight hits and three walks in 5 2/3 innings.

Kevin Thompson doubled twice and drove in three runs for the Yankees (58-44).

Dickerson's Final Line:
    4-6, HR, 3B, 2B, 1B, 5 RBI, 3 R

Now batting .264 on the year.

uoduck1017

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the biggest knock on Dickerson always been his inconsistent hitting? The Reds could use a speedy CF leadoff hitter, and the continued improvement of Chris is great to see. I'm not sure if this comparison has ever been used, but he reminds me a lot of Curtis Granderson. A Granderson-type would be a huge boost to the Reds lineup.
    Last edited by uoduck1017; 07-27-2007 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uoduck1017 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the biggest knock on Dickerson always been his inconsistent hitting? The Reds could use a speedy CF leadoff hitter, and the continued improvement of Chris is great to see.
    The biggest knock on him is he strikes out an insane amount of times.

uoduck1017

If he were somehow able to cut down on those strikeouts, he could be a real force in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    The biggest knock on him is he strikes out an insane amount of times.
    Grady Sizemore leads the AL in strikeouts but he is also a pretty good lead off hitter.
    Whatcha gonna do, brother, when Brennemania runs wild on you!!

Just trying to stay updated while I'm on vacation. Here's Dickerson's balls in play data for the year.

He went 1-4 with 2 RBIs along with a BB and HBP tonight.

His season line was .261/.362/.428/.790 coming into tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

People that hit for the cycle are "usually" pretty special, at least in the big leagues. They have that "clutch" ability of a Jay Buhner, Alex Rodriguez (not since 2004 until this year again), Eric Davis, etc. They come through in the clutch and the REDS need players like that like crazy.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

IMHO, hitting for a cycle has nothing to do with being clutch and rather just having a great day at the plate and a lot of chance. No one "wants" to hit for the cycle, if they could choose what type of hit they were going to get, why not be "clutch" and hit them all over the fence.

Dickerson's OPS at Louisville is approaching .800 for the year. At what point can you no longer ignore him to play Freel? How good a fielder is he? What kind of OPS would we want from him in Cinti. to make him the starting center fielder?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Dickerson's OPS at Louisville is approaching .800 for the year. At what point can you no longer ignore him to play Freel? How good a fielder is he? What kind of OPS would we want from him in Cinti. to make him the starting center fielder?
    Dickerson is HANDS DOWN the best defense player in our system, and maybe even our organization. He has amazing range and a strong arm. I've seen him probably 10 this year, and he is fun to watch.

Dickerson went 2-3 with 2 BB tonights. Considering he is on the 40 man roster, he's a lock to be a September callup. However I agree with you, I'd call him up and let him roam CF. His defense alone could allow him to stick as a 4th OFer.

After his awful May after being called up, he posted .835 and .842 OPS' respectively in June and July.

He should be called up, and he is really coming on as a prospect.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Dickerson is HANDS DOWN the best defense player in our system, and maybe even our organization. He has amazing range and a strong arm. I've seen him probably 10 this year, and he is fun to watch.

Dickerson went 2-3 with 2 BB tonights. Considering he is on the 40 man roster, he's a lock to be a September callup. However I agree with you, I'd call him up and let him roam CF. His defense alone could allow him to stick as a 4th OFer.

After his awful May after being called up, he posted .835 and .842 OPS' respectively in June and July.

He should be called up, and he is really coming on as a prospect.
    What! And send down Norris Hopper? Seriously though, I agree that he should ultimately be at least a 4th outfielder; even if he cannot cut down on the strikeouts.

Winter League Stats:

Turn Off Ads?