Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prospect Profile: Scott Carroll

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Prospect Profile: Scott Carroll

Scott Carroll didn't realize how important baseball was till it was taken away from him.

The two sport star from Liberty High School began at Purdue as a quarterback-only with the promise he could branch out if his grades were good.

The baseball carrot that made Purdue seem appealing was never within reach and neither was playing time at quarterback.

That's why Carroll ended up at Missouri State in Springfield, starring in football, yet knowing baseball would eventually re-define his future.

Waiting is nothing new, which is why he's un-signed and un-phased, two weeks after the 2007 amateur draft.

Carroll was taken by the Cincinnati Reds in the 3rd round, a year after being picked in the 16th by the Angels.

Scott was used to seeing scouts at all of his games.

But he can't recall a conversation with anyone from the Reds.

After the draft, the team did try to entice him to sign in time to start the season opener for the Billings, Montana (Class A) Mustangs on Tuesday.

Carroll admitted he doesn't know much about Billings baseball, except for the fact that's where George Brett jumped off a bus in 1971 to begin his pro journey.

The Mustangs still play at Cobb Field, the team's home since 1948, although a new stadium will be in place for 2008.

Carroll is no history major.

He's in communications and marketing, two semesters short of graduation.

He knows the value in a 6'5 pitcher (who grew 1/2 an inch last year) who's fastball can hit 95.

Carroll also added 15 pounds of muscle over the past year to reach 225.

Approaching his 23rd birthday, Scott's arm feels remarkably fresh with only six months wear 'n tear in college baseball.

Last year, facing aluminum bats, his earned run average was remarkably under 3.

He tied for the team lead in innings pitched at 89.

81 strikeouts to go with 25 walks.

Beyond a better working knowledge of a weekly routine that includes weights and long toss, Carroll added a slider that's made his fastball even more effective.

It adds up to a health paycheck.

Eventually, which is fine.

After all, waiting is what Scott Carroll does best.
    Drafted - Selected by Los Angeles Angels in 16th Round (492nd overall) of 2006 amateur entry draft (June-Reg) ... Selected by Cincinnati Reds in 3rd Round (104th overall) of 2007 amateur entry draft (June-Reg)
    Round 3: 104 Overall - Scott Carroll - RHP Missouri St.

Birthdate: 09/24/1984
    Height: 6′ 5″
    Weight: 220 lbs.
    Bats: Right
    Throws: Right

Scouting Report:

Information has been slightly tough to find but here is what I have been able to track down. He throws 91-93 consistantly and has touched 94-95 in the past at times. He put on 15 pounds of muscle between this year and last year, mostly in his lower body, which has allowed him to last longer into games this year. He throws two different versions of a splitter, one which dives in against left handed batters and then one that is more straight and kind of works as a change up type pitch against right handers. He also throws a curveball, but it is not one of his better pitches.
    ^Credit goes to Doug on this scouting report, as it was the only one I could find. Thanks Doug!
    Last edited by 11larkin11; 07-19-2007 at 03:03 PM.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Re: Prospect Profile: Scott Carroll

Hope it's OK to throw these in 11Larkin11...

Last edited by Az. Reds Fan; 07-19-2007 at 04:11 PM.

Yea, feel free to throw tidbits in that you find.

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

Carroll made his first professional appearance tonight. He started.

2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

Hi guys. I am Scotty's oldest brother. I talked to him last night after his first professional start and he sounded great. He said he was a little nervous in the first inning but settled down in the second (which is the inning he struck out two). They had him on a pitch count/inning count, whichever came first (45 pitches or two innings). He wanted to come back out for the third but the coaches wouldn't let him as they are sticking to a program for him.

I listened to the audio of the game on both the Billings radio station as well as the Ogden station. Both were very complimentary of Scotty, as was the Billings pitching coach. Hopefully Scotty continues to work hard and improve.

He said the main pitching coordinator/scout (? or similar position) was in Billings for 4 days last week watching him throw bullpen work, along with some other guys.

Anyway, even though he has a long way to go, I was one proud brother last night. He's a good kid.

Quote Originally Posted by mumike View Post
    Hi guys. I am Scotty's oldest brother. I talked to him last night after his first professional start and he sounded great. He said he was a little nervous in the first inning but settled down in the second (which is the inning he struck out two). They had him on a pitch count/inning count, whichever came first (45 pitches or two innings). He wanted to come back out for the third but the coaches wouldn't let him as they are sticking to a program for him.

I listened to the audio of the game on both the Billings radio station as well as the Ogden station. Both were very complimentary of Scotty, as was the Billings pitching coach. Hopefully Scotty continues to work hard and improve.

He said the main pitching coordinator/scout (? or similar position) was in Billings for 4 days last week watching him throw bullpen work, along with some other guys.

Anyway, even though he has a long way to go, I was one proud brother last night. He's a good kid.
    Welcome to the board. Good luck to your brother.

Wow. Thats really cool. Think you could give us your own little scouting report on him, since there isn't much about him on the web?

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

He's really developed as a pitcher since his high school days, when he used to be just a thrower and could dominate without having a secondary pitch. In his senior year of high school, he was 11-0 with a 0.98 ERA but did it by throwing it past kids. Now, he has a good slider and an improving change-up that lets him get guys out without having to rely so much on the fastball. In fact, I think he's taken a couple miles off the fastball, keeping it in the low 90's range, so that there's more movement. It was a tip the Angels (who drafted him last year) gave him and he took it to heart. That has also had an affect on his stamina, which is one of his strengths, allowing him to continue in the low 90's through 8 and even 9 innings.

His biggest weakness is still his change-up/breaking ball. It's just too inconsistent at times, but it is getting better. Also, hitters tend to get too much bat on the ball; meaning, even if guys aren't getting hits, they're hitting the ball hard. He does get a lot of ground balls, though.

He's a very good athlete (just don't ask him to hit! LOL) and doesn't have much wear on his arm since he took off a couple of years for football. Life is funny sometimes, and he's had an interesting path to where he is today.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mumike View Post
    He's a very good athlete (just don't ask him to hit! LOL) and doesn't have much wear on his arm since he took off a couple of years for football. Life is funny sometimes, and he's had an interesting path to where he is today.

A continuing theme with the Reds' high-round pitchers these last two drafts. Take good athletes with good velocity that haven't thrown a hundred-plus pitches every weekend for the past three college seasons. Sean Watson, Josh Roenicke, Travis Webb, Jordan Smith, Drew Bowman... all of 'em fit that profile. Throw in a few advanced-yet-projectable high school arms (Kyle Lotzkar, Josh Ravin, Brandon Rice) and you have a profile emerging for a "Reds"-type draft prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    A continuing theme with the Reds' high-round pitchers these last two drafts. Take good athletes with good velocity that haven't thrown a hundred-plus pitches every weekend for the past three college seasons. Sean Watson, Josh Roenicke, Travis Webb, Jordan Smith, Drew Bowman... all of 'em fit that profile. Throw in a few advanced-yet-projectable high school arms (Kyle Lotzkar, Josh Ravin, Brandon Rice) and you have a profile emerging for a "Reds"-type draft prospect.
    Hmmm, I wonder who might match that profile say in the top 10 next year. It should be interesting to watch for that going forward.

Nice to have ya mumike, welcome!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Thanks a lot. Great write up and I hope he does very well in the next years. Congrats to your family on his accomplishments.

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

thanks for the great info ..MUMIKE....great to hear something so positive, we all want him to succeed . Let him know about the site and tell him we are rooting for him!!

Carroll pitched 2 innings today after a long layoff. Here's his stats...

2 IP
    0 H
    0 ER
    2 BB
    4 SO

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Carroll pitched 2 innings today after a long layoff. Here's his stats...

2 IP
    0 H
    0 ER
    2 BB
    4 SO
    You left out the two balks. LOL Weird stuff. The Billings coach got thrown out arguing the balks. I talked to Scotty and he said he's still not sure what the ump was thinking. He also said he was a little rusty tonight but that his arm was feeling really good after he was done.

Anyway, his tricep was giving him some problems so they shelved him for a couple of weeks. He's close to 100% again. During the layoff, he moonlighted in the broadcasting booth. It was fun to listen to him on the archived podcasts.

Carroll pitched again tonight, earning the No Decision

3 IP
    2 H
    2 ER
    2 BB
    3 K

Season Stats

3 GS
    7 IP
    3 H
    2 ER