Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's going on around here

What's going on around here

is pretty remarkable.

In one camp, you have those that believe the Reds should trade Bronson Arroyo for Jarrod Saltalamacchia, a prospect that may someday turn into a Brandon Phillips.*

In another camp, you have those that believe the Reds should trade Brandon Phillips for prospects that may someday turn into another Bronson Arroyo.

Does anybody else see the catch-22 that is going on here? Isn't there somewhere to meet in the middle?

*Obviously Saltalamacchia is a catcher and Phillips is a 2B. But by comparing the two, I mean a young, cheap player that provides plus offense at a premium defensive position. However, I would argue that BP's defense at 2B is much better than Saltalamacchia's at catcher.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What's going on around here

Does anybody else see the catch-22 that is going on here?
    Here's another one I see, The Reds can't do well now under Pete, because then the Reds will think they should hire him. But if the Reds don't do well then they get beat on like a Piñata.

Don't forget the ceiling for Bailey and Cueto are bull pen relievers.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Here's another one I see, The Reds can't do well now under Pete, because then the Reds will think they should hire him. But if the Reds don't do well then they get beat on like a Piņata.
    Not by me. I always favor the long view. I want the decision to replace Pete to be an easy one. Break the cycle of interim -> permanent. If the Reds have to keep the same winning percentage in the second half as they did in the first to make that a reality, it's fine with me.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Don't forget the ceiling for Bailey and Cueto are bull pen relievers.
    I think there could be a lot of truth to that.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Not by me. I always favor the long view. I want the decision to replace Pete to be an easy one. Break the cycle of interim -> permanent. If the Reds have to keep the same winning percentage in the second half as they did in the first to make that a reality, it's fine with me.
    I think it's short sighted to rule anyone off the list of potential managers, interim or not. Would the Reds be better off with Jim Tracy than Pete Mackanin just b/c Tracy not the interim guy? I think not.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

It's a simple explanation. You are dealing with several hundred different personalities and opinions.

Not every one of those opinions are expressed in every thread. So while it may look like RZ wants one thing in one thread, and something different in the next, you could be dealing with something as simple as the people who think we should trade phillips in that thread, vs a different group of people who think we should trade Arroyo in another.

It's all about the math.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    You are dealing with several hundred different personalities and opinions.
    I count about three. Maybe four.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    It's a simple explanation. You are dealing with several hundred different personalities and opinions.

Not every one of those opinions are expressed in every thread. So while it may look like RZ wants one thing in one thread, and something different in the next, you could be dealing with something as simple as the people who think we should trade phillips in that thread, vs a different group of people who think we should trade Arroyo in another.

It's all about the math.
    No I understand that. It's just funny to me that some people want to trade an apple for a caterpiller. And other people want to trade a butterfly for an appleseed. Why not just keep the apple and the butterfly, and build around them? Especially when they are both signed cheaply for years to come?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    6 on Mondays... maybe 7 before football season starts.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    But only one that counts. It's time to elbow out--say, two, three.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Break the cycle of interim -> permanent.
    The TBS crew broke out an interesting stat yesterday. Going back to 1982, 10 of the past 13 Reds managers were hired midseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    The TBS crew broke out an interesting stat yesterday. Going back to 1982, 10 of the past 13 Reds managers were hired midseason.
    Ones not

Lou

Tony

Ray Knight

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Ones not

Lou

Tony

Ray Knight
    What about Vern Rapp and Bob Boone?

I think the TBS folks got that one wrong. Russ Nixon finished the 1983 season, but Rapp took over in 1984. And Bob Boone took the helm in 2001 after Jack McKeon was dismissed following the 2000 season.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 07-19-2007 at 04:26 PM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    What about Vern Rapp and Bob Boone?
    duh... 10 of 15.... But then again it was Chippy with the stat, perhaps he read it wrong.

Turn Off Ads?