Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If the Reds wan't to extend Dunn

If the Reds wan't to extend Dunn

and I don't know if they do or don't but if they do they should tell him they are going to trade him for the best possible deal in the next 11 days no matter what the deal is and they will negotiate a new contract when free agency starts.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If the Reds wan't to extend Dunn

no way! the guy does one thing well, and that is hits home runs.

he plays terrible defense, is a liability on the base paths, he strikes out a TON! hits horrible with RISP, and just from watching him every game, he appears lazy to me.

i don't even want dunn back, they need to spend that money on something more productive.

Awesome, I was hoping we could get a good Dunn debate going on around here. I wonder if anybody will point out how often Dunn strikes out?

i'm all for trading dunn for the interest of the team, and then seeing if we can't resign him through free agency. Not sure how he would take that idea, has that ever been done on purpose before by other teams? anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    no way! the guy does one thing well, and that is hits home runs.

he plays terrible defense, is a liability on the base paths, he strikes out a TON! hits horrible with RISP, and just from watching him every game, he appears lazy to me.

i don't even want dunn back, they need to spend that money on something more productive.
    I guess I'll be the first to back Dunn in this thread. I'm glad that how you view Dunn is by strikeouts, which is only part of the equation that measures OBP and OPS, and by you watching him and his personality and assuming he is lazy. Again Dunn is very good at avoiding outs and getting on base. Dunn is well on his way to 100+ RBI's and well over 40 Hrs and 100 runs. And yes, what a liability on the basepaths. The guy is only the most efficient base stealer the Reds have had the past two seasons. But I'm sure Ryan Freel and Norris Hopper playing everyday with their 300 OBP's would make the team so much better.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

I will be the second. He consistantly walks 80-100 times, hits 40 hr, drives in 90-100 RBI, and scores 100 runs. I am willing to concede he strikeouts too much and does not hit well enough in scoring position.He also could play better defense. He is worth at least his 13 million option and I would look into giving him an extension; at least until another Reds outfielder approaches his offensive production.

I was all ready to trade up until about 3 weeks ago. Now I'm ready to extend him and fix the bullpen and take our chances.

We have nothing to replace him.

I'm all for trading Dunn. I don't think that he however lacks production, or is a bad player, etc. I'm all for trading Dunn, because he is a luxury player. He projects more as a DH, and as a small market franchise we need to maximize value at each position. Dunn is perhaps one of the best power hitters in the game, but with our budget we need a more complete player for the dollar.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by mound_patrol View Post
    I guess I'll be the first to back Dunn in this thread. I'm glad that how you view Dunn is by strikeouts, which is only part of the equation that measures OBP and OPS, and by you watching him and his personality and assuming he is lazy. Again Dunn is very good at avoiding outs and getting on base. Dunn is well on his way to 100+ RBI's and well over 40 Hrs and 100 runs. And yes, what a liability on the basepaths. The guy is only the most efficient base stealer the Reds have had the past two seasons. But I'm sure Ryan Freel and Norris Hopper playing everyday with their 300 OBP's would make the team so much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I will be the second. He consistantly walks 80-100 times, hits 40 hr, drives in 90-100 RBI, and scores 100 runs. I am willing to concede he strikeouts too much and does not hit well enough in scoring position.He also could play better defense. He is worth at least his 13 million option and I would look into giving him an extension; at least until another Reds outfielder approaches his offensive production.
    I will be the third. You can't replace Dunn's "bad defense" and good offense with Freel or Hopper's decent defense and bad offense. I don't care how bad of a fielder you are if you hit 40 home runs a year, drive in 100 RBIs, score 100 runs, and walk 100 times that makes up for bad defense.

keep Dunn...if you want to win at GABP...pitching wont do it...you need to score runs...Freel, and Hopper wont win you enough games

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    and I don't know if they do or don't but if they do they should tell him they are going to trade him for the best possible deal in the next 11 days no matter what the deal is and they will negotiate a new contract when free agency starts.
    I don't think Dunn is loyal enough to the Reds to play this game. Having said this, it's a personal favorite when you can trade a guy for something and then resign him over the winter. Reds did that with Mercker a couple of times didn't they?

Dunn is no Gold Glove LF, that is for certain. However, I think his defensive inefficiencies are much exaggerrated. For my money, he is about a league average LF, maybe slightly below average. For his production though, you better believe I want him on my team playing every day. LF, like 1B is an area where a team doesn't really have to have all-world defense. If you can find a player that combines Dunn's offense with the defense of Hopper great, but it's going to be a long summer next year if we have to watch Hopper try and replace Dunn's production.

For a guy that is top ten in the NL in HR, RBI, R, and BB he sure does draw a lot of criticism. I swear sometimes the people of Cincinnati would rather have a Pete Rose clone, real production be-damned, than a bonafide run-producer.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    How old are you?

This is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. What's your back-up plan, tell him they are going to hold their breath until they turn blue?!?!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    How old are you?

This is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. What's your back-up plan, tell him they are going to hold their breath until they turn blue?!?!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I think you can get your point across just as well without being so rude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron View Post
    I'm all for trading Dunn. I don't think that he however lacks production, or is a bad player, etc. I'm all for trading Dunn, because he is a luxury player. He projects more as a DH, and as a small market franchise we need to maximize value at each position. Dunn is perhaps one of the best power hitters in the game, but with our budget we need a more complete player for the dollar.
    I think with ALL of the threads and posts on this subject, your wording has done the best justice of summing up my feelings on Dunn. At teh same time, if we dont get a great trade for him, I am all for keeping him around as well for now.

Turn Off Ads?