Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I bet Texas would like to have this trade back

I bet Texas would like to have this trade back

In January of 2006, the Texas Rangers traded Chris Young, Adrian Gonzalez and Terrmel Sledge to the San Diego Padres for Adam Eaton, Billy Killian and Akinori Otsuka. I can't believe how that just seems to fly under the radar... what an AWFUL trade.

We here at Redszone pile on WK for trading Kearns and Lopez for middle reliever's, but the Rangers traded a staff ace and a cleanup hitter for a crappy starter and a reliever, pretty much.

Can any of the rest of you think of a deal that's just unbelievably one-sided, either lately or many years ago, but doesn't get much publicity for whatever reason? (For example, the Frank Robinson and Tony Perez deals don't count, they're very well known )

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I bet Texas would like to have this trade back

It didn't fly under the radar.

It was well known at the time by many that Chris Young had the best road record in the Majors before he was traded, but the Texans failed to understand how valuable that quality was for a starting pitcher. As I like the Padres, I was glad for them to get such a quality pitcher at the time. Texas has always been poor at recognizing quality pitching for some strange reason. Maybe it's the heat of summer that kills the pitcher's ability to throw well and that the Rangers always forget to take that into account when evaluating a pitcher. Whatever it is, they are consistently bad at recognizing quality pitching.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Definitely an awful trade by Texas, but Young isn't the pitcher his current ERA makes him out to be. He's not going to continue being a staff ace IMO.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

So to be clear, these are deals that were bad from the the get to, and end up as bad as they looked or worse, right? Obviously there are lots of lopsided trades where some guys panned out. But sometimes, it's just stupid from teh start.

- Pittsburgh trades Aramis Ramirez & Kenny Lofton to Chicago for Jose Hernandez, Matt Bruback, and Bobby Hill (August 15, 2003).

- D'Backs trade Junior Spivey, Craig Counsell, Lyle Overbay, Chad Moeller, Chris Capuano, and Jorge de la Rosa for 1 year of Richie Sexson (who got hurt and then left), Shane Nance, and Noochie Varner.

- Cubs trade Greg Maddux AND Cash for Ceasar Izturis

- And one of the stupidest deals in recent memory, Astros trade Taylor Buchholz, Jason Hirsch, and Willy Taveras for Jason Jennings and Miguel Ascencio.

And here's a nice theme. Organization gets a good deal and then screws it up by dealing the guy away.

- Rockies send Neifi Perez to KC for Jermaine Dye and the same day trade Jermaine Dye to Oakland for Todd Belitz, Mario Encarnacion, and Jose Ortiz.

- Pirates trade Brian Giles to SD for Jason Bay and Oliver Perez. Pirates get a great player in Bay and a Cy Young year out of Perez. Perez struggles and they sell low on him, sending him to NYM with Roberto Hernandez for Xavier Nady simply because they didn't want to pay his arb raise.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 07-20-2007 at 02:10 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Here's another one for the Rockies.

The Rox trade Larry Walker and cash to the Cardinals for minor-leaguers Jason Burch, Luis Martinez, and Chris Narveson. None of the three ever made it to the majors with Rockies. Furthermore, Narveson is back in the Cards organization off a waiver claim.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    In January of 2006, the Texas Rangers traded Chris Young, Adrian Gonzalez and Terrmel Sledge to the San Diego Padres for Adam Eaton, Billy Killian and Akinori Otsuka. I can't believe how that just seems to fly under the radar... what an AWFUL trade.
    The Rangers felt Young was too much of a flyball pitcher for their ballpark.

The Cards sent Danny Haren and Kiko Calero and Daric Barton to the A's for Mark Mulder. Can you imagine the young rotation the A's would have with that trade and if they had held onto Harang and Bonderman?
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

The same Rangers team that got Randy Velarde for Aaron Harang?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    So to be clear, these are deals that were bad from the the get to, and end up as bad as they looked or worse, right? Obviously there are lots of lopsided trades where some guys panned out. But sometimes, it's just stupid from teh start.
    The Mets trading Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano looked pretty bad from the get go, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Other Rangers trades that make me smile:

-Cleveland received first baseman Travis Hafner and righthander Aaron Myette, while Texas added catcher Einar Diaz and righty Ryan Drese. Shortly thereafter, Indians general manager Mark Shapiro was arrested for grand theft slugger.

-Cincinnati Reds traded Rob Bell to the Texas Rangers for Ruben Mateo and Edwin Encarnacion
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

How about

Twins trade: AJ Pierzynski
    Giants trade: Joe Nathan, Francisco Liriano, and Boof Bonser

or perhaps the 2 worst Reds trades of the last 20 years-

Orioles trade: Curtis Goodwin
    Reds trade: David Wells

Expos trade: Dave Martinez, Scott Ruskin and Willie Greene
    Reds trade: John Wetteland
    (the Reds chose this return instead of an OF named Larry Walker)
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-20-2007 at 10:34 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

The Larry Walker and Greg Maddux trades were "rent a player" trades.

You can't view those the same way as others. They're about getting money and a few lottery tickets in return.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Orioles trade: Curtis Goodwin
    Reds trade: David Wells
    After the Reds playoff run of 1995, they had to trade one of their 2 deadline deal acqusitions, Portugal or Wells, due to salary restrictions.

Portugal apparently had no market, so they were forced to move Wells.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    After the Reds playoff run of 1995, they had to trade one of their 2 deadline deal acqusitions, Portugal or Wells, due to salary restrictions.

Portugal apparently had no market, so they were forced to move Wells.
    True. It just would have been nice to get something back other than JimBo's proverbial 5-tool OF prospect. "I OWN YOU, BOY!"
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    True. It just would have been nice to get something back other than JimBo's proverbial 5-tool OF prospect.
    I think Goodwin only had one tool,speed...but he was a very poor base runner. I'm not sure I've seen many players with fewer baseball instincts.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Frank Robinson for Milt Pappas, Jack Baldshun, and Dick Simpson

Lou Brock for Ernie Broglio

Sparky Lyle for Danny Cater and Mario Guerrero

Babe Ruth for No, No, Nannette

Turn Off Ads?