Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Watching the Reds in Miami...

Watching the Reds in Miami...

After not seeing the Reds in a regular season game since their series in Tampa a couple of years ago, I'm earning my stripes this week...3 Reds games in a week...yesterday in ATL, then this Saturday and Sunday against the Marlins...I might add that Wayne and Pete should hire me to travel with the team since they are 3-0-1 with me in attendance this year (spring training wins vs. Cleveland and Toronto and the tie versus the Evil Empire)...

I would love to meet any RZ'er who might be at the games this weekend...I'll be in section 101 on Saturday and Section 153 on Sunday, wearing either my Larkin AS jersey or my Hamilton Sunday-special jersey (Red)...please give me a shout...

The 6 hour drive each way to/from Atlanta was definitely worth it...15 innings (hey, I wanted a rainout Tuesday for a doubleheader Wednesday) with a Reds win...life was good...Turner Field is a nice park, but very devoid of a distinct personality IMHO...sat in RF about 20 feet away from Dunn's HR and had a blast with a coaching friend of mine who now lives in Rome, GA...I called Hatteburg's single to right-center, but he matched me by calling Chipper's double off the wall...we decided to take our act to Vegas

Smoltz and Harang were great...Harang's performance obviously that much better when added to the knowledge of his grandfather's death...he's a warrior and I liked Pete's slow hook as it was not brutally hot, especially during the first part of the game...next, clearly it was "opposite day" since Weathers was awful (dead arm from 3rd straight day of work??) and the rest of pen was lights-out...heck, at one point, surrounding Weather's performance other Reds (Coutlangus, Stanton and Saarloos) struck out 5 straight Braves...in particular Gosling was really, really good...wonder if he's making a step to being a solid contributor??...

You can't get PeLo out, you can only hope to keep him in the park (or at least Smoltz thinks so!!)...but what a god-awful slide on the double by Harang...

It's funny how baseball works...each major decision Pete made I supported (Harang stays to pitch to the lefty in the 8th, Hopper for defense, Weathers to close in the 10th, etc) but none of them worked out very well...guess it's about the evalution of the macro vs the micro, huh???

Why isn't Coutlangus simply a LOOGY right now???...he could be LIGHTS OUT in that role IMHO...not that he's bad versus righties, but hasn't he thrived in 1 batter, LH-LH matchups as I recall???...

I still haven't seen the replay, but Phillips catch was amazing in person...that ball was hit so hard that I think it might have hit the wall on the fly (Weathers was not exactly foolin' them)...now, I must confess to not really understanding the 5 infielder thing...Pete had the middle infield at DP depth...he doesn't walk the bases loaded... and puts Freel on the 2B bag...okay, I get all of it but Freel...do we really think that the chance of a ball somehow missing being caught by the pitcher but going directly to Freel is worth taking him out of CF??...but all worked out well...it did make for fascinating viewing...

We couldn't have scored off of Smoltz with $500 in a brothel...man he was really on...glad he just got off the DL...and Dunn smashed his homer...

Pretty cool that I got to see Junior's 2500th hit...kindof disappointed by the ATL response...a very quick message on the scoreboard (the biggest board I've ever seen in my life...THAT was very awesome) that wasn't seen by many folks because there was only a very slight smattering of applause...a simple PA announcement would've been much nicer and worthy...

Don't know what the game-thread folks had to say, but it was at least a bit startling to me to see EE get replaced by BP in the 9th inning...don't know the matchup stats, but it continued to speak volumes to me that EE is not "entrenched" as the 3B of the future round these parts...

Scott Hatteburg is really fun to watch hit...as I sat there, forgive me for the following thought...how similar has he been the past 2 years than Pete Rose during the BRM days (not in his 60's heyday)...similar OPS (appx .850'esque) and plate discipline and approach...obviously being a bit facetious but I did have the thought...I will miss Hatte if/when he gets traded...

Not too hard to see PMac's view/role for Todd Coffey after 15 innings of not seeing Java-man anywhere near the field...wow, how the mighty have fallen in 1 year...

No batting practice, but cool sight...David Weathers pitching BP to his young son in the OF during pregame...and yes, his son was raking off of him as well ...actually, the little guy has a heck of a swing...sign him now!!

It was a blast and the 20 hour day was well worth it ...here's to hoping I have as much fun in Miami watching them this weekend!!

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Watching the Reds in Miami...

Thanks for the report, sounds like you had a blast.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I'm not sure I'll be going. But I'll be looking out for you if I do.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

"So Fla Red"

Went last night and am planning to also attend Saturday's game

Your report made my day.....thanks!
    "Is there a problem officers?"

Will be at Saturday's game.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Miami RZoners.

How about this? Friday and/or Saturday. Let's meet at the concession stand behind section 154 (REDS dugout) after the REDS hit in the 3rd inning. Mid- 3rd.

Gives time for everyone to be there.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Miami RZoners.

How about this? Friday and/or Saturday. Let's meet at the concession stand behind section 154 (REDS dugout) after the REDS hit in the 3rd inning. Mid- 3rd.

Gives time for everyone to be there.
    Man, I wish I had seen this before leaving...did anyone meet you??

As for the games...

This was clearly a team looking to go home from a long road trip...dispassionate, lacking focus and brutal in the late innings each game (obviously)...it was clearly evident they knew the plane was headed back to Cincy this evening...really, really poorly executed games :thumbdown

Livingston and Arroyo really know how to pitch...don't know if Livingston's stuff will pass the test of time, but he was good in the big AB's...best example, in the 6th (I believe) he has 2 runners on and bears down and gets Uggla and Cabrera...it was impressive...Arroyo really, really changes speed and zone (first time I'd ever seen him live)...one AB today he went from a 68 MPH curve to a 90 MPH fastball in 2 pitches...as we know he has a great feel for "how to pitch" and I really enjoyed him "working" the game...but man, when they make mistakes do folks make them pay...no cheap homers for the Marlins the last 2 days...

As an aside, doesn't it seem everytime a Reds pitcher gets on base during his at bat, that the next inning they get hit hard???...maybe it's just me...it's like they can't settle back down and get into rhythm...

EE made an incredible play on Saturday night, and BP made a couple of "wow" plays today (both of BP's didn't get an out but...)...it's disappointing to me that so little is being made of Encarnacion's improvement defensively...that said, have you ever seen a team that can make a pop-up to the catcher a more challenging play...I cringe every time it happens...

Keppinger and PeLo played nicely in the 3 games I saw them this week...

Griffey's baserunning blunder Saturday absolutely changed the complexion of the game...

I love watching BP in person...enjoys the game, is immensely talented and I think will keep getting better...I have a serious case of man-love for Phillips in the field and Hatteburg at the plate...rarely will anything "bad" ever happen during those 2 occurences...

Freel does some amazingly ignorant things for a guy who PTGTRW...how many times thrown out on the bases this year??

The bullpen-WOW...literally forced me to leave each game before the end of the 8th...the reality is not only are their results bad, but they clearly impact the managing style of Narron and Pete...would Livingston or Arroyo have gone back out for the 7th if we had a stellar (or even consistently solid) bullpen???...I can't answer that, but...now in Livingston's case, he seemed to be rolling then bang-bang...but Arroyo (despite a quick 6th) had been having to fight all day long and was at about 105 pitches...not that the decisions were wrong (though they didn't end up working) but I've got to imagine the horror that goes through a manager's mind every night around the 6th inning...

Hey, at least we prevented the Marlins from scoring 10+ runs for 3 consecutive games for the first time in team history ...

Miguel Cabrera is not only very good, but clearly is the emotional leader of the Marlins based on interactions on field/in dugout...he's a big guy to say the least, though he doesn't look as big as he was earlier in the year...

Marlin fans aren't many, but were much more enthusiastic by and large IMHO than Brave fans were this week (even today when the crowd was very sparse)...

Marlin fans still adore Jeff Conine...I think when he goes into the HOF he'll probably be wearing a Marlins cap, don't you think ...and does anyone run more upright and stiffly than ole youngbody???...but, I think he's a good addition for someone looking for a RH pinch-hitter in the pennant chase...

If these were Little League games, it would have been a great couple of days...dang, maybe one of the umps was on the take

-William Gibbs McAdoo

Quote Originally Posted by coachw513 View Post
    Man, I wish I had seen this before leaving...did anyone meet you??
    I couldn't make any games after Thursday. First, Car Died and Sunday didn't want to chance the weather (in the end poured at my place, didn' t rain in the stadium).

Sorry if anyone was looking for me, maybe some other RZconers managed to find each other.

In any case, if beer was consumed in the name of RZ, it's all good.

"So Fla Red"

Missed Sat night's game after all the storms moved in up North.

Could the Reds have been any more unclutch then the last three games of the series. It was UGGLA to say the least. KGJ had one of his most forgettable four game series in recent memory -- the kid is not off to a good start in the 2H with a grand total of one XBH since the Break.

I was there in time, but was smack dab in middle of row, and didn't feel like fighting crowd to get out.

Some impressions of stadium. Outstanding video system. Hi Def all the way, great scoreboard etc.

Yet, because they pack the seats so close together (for Dolphins), it's a crappy place to watch game.

And if you are having trouble getting people to games, just maybe you shouldn't have the road to your stadium be a toll road.....
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Yet, because they pack the seats so close together (for Dolphins), it's a crappy place to watch game.

And if you are having trouble getting people to games, just maybe you shouldn't have the road to your stadium be a toll road.....
    Boy you are right about the seats...Sunday was great because it was only me, my wife and immediate family of the Marlins

Yeah, it's a little different environment for the Dolphins down there...

-William Gibbs McAdoo

Turn Off Ads?