Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cozart and Turner

Cozart and Turner

I ran across this in a 2006 BA chat. They are now Dayton's middle infield combo.

Chat Wrap: Will Kimmey

Moderator: Will Kimmey will stop by at 3 p.m. ET to talk about the Baseball America All-American teams and the College World Series.

Q: Ryan from Anaheim asks:
    Why doesn't anyone give credit to players who play good defense, bunt, steal, and do all the little things great. There is more to baseball than hitting HR's and driving in RBI's.

A:
    Will Kimmey: I think seeing Justin Turner and Zack Cozart on this list are examples of us giving that credit. Those two players might be among the nation's best at their postions defensively, and while their raw offensive numbers might not outstrip some others at their positions, they're rewarded for the little things. Defense is important, yes, and that's a factor. But only being great defensively does not an All-American make.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...ws/261716.html
    Last edited by Redman15; 07-20-2007 at 02:29 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cozart and Turner

If Justin Turner is really that good defensively, then how come he isn't a bigger prospect? All he has done at Dayton is hit (better than Drew Stubbs, mind you), and I've been screaming for a promotion to Sarasota for almost two months now. What is the deal?
    Go BLUE!!!

Ya can't teach speed...

Your comment assumes that they are better than the guys already in Sarasota. And, what do you do with the guys in Sarasota if you promote Turner and Cozart. I'm not saying these two guys are quality ball players but not everyone advances as quickly as a Jay Bruce. I order to promote them and give them quality playing time there has to be room for them at the next level and it appears there are quality people already at the next two levels. Isn't it better to keep them where they are competing with people in their own age/ability catagory then to push them forward only to sit?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    If Justin Turner is really that good defensively, then how come he isn't a bigger prospect? All he has done at Dayton is hit (better than Drew Stubbs, mind you), and I've been screaming for a promotion to Sarasota for almost two months now. What is the deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Triples View Post
    Your comment assumes that they are better than the guys already in Sarasota. And, what do you do with the guys in Sarasota if you promote Turner and Cozart. I'm not saying these two guys are quality ball players but not everyone advances as quickly as a Jay Bruce. I order to promote them and give them quality playing time there has to be room for them at the next level and it appears there are quality people already at the next two levels. Isn't it better to keep them where they are competing with people in their own age/ability catagory then to push them forward only to sit?
    Who is playing 2B at Sarasota? Is he a prospect? If not then does it matter?

Justin Turner is three years older than Jay Bruce, and three levels below him. I'd hardly compare his ascent through the minors to a Bruce-like pace, even if he was promoted tomorrow. There are plenty of 23 year olds playing in high A ball. In fact, thats where most of them should be at at this point, Turner included.

And I NEVER suggesting promoting Cozart. He just got there of course.
    Go BLUE!!!

Dejesus and Valaika are playing 2B and SS for Sarasota.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Dejesus and Valaika are playing 2B and SS for Sarasota.
    I'd rather see Turner and Valaika manning the middle infield in Sarasota.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'd rather see Turner and Valaika manning the middle infield in Sarasota.
    Same here.

You could make the case that Turner should get a try over Valaika in Sarasota right now. I didn't expect Valaika to struggle this much at the plate. Of course he still has time to turn it around.

Kevyn Feiner from the GCL was promoted to Sarasota according to the roster.
    Looks like Cozart and Turner are stuck in Dayton for the year. It doesn't make sense to promote a GCL player over these two or even Todd Frazier? Is he expected to stay in Billings all year?

Code:
    Full Name: Kevyn C. Feiner
    Born: 06/11/1987
    Birthplace: Madison , WI
    Height: 6' 1"
    Weight: 170
    Bats: R
    Throws: R

2007 Season
    Team	League	AVG	G	AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	TB	BB	SO	SB	CS	OBP	SLG	OPS
    RDS	GCL	.265	10	34	3	9	2	0	0	1	11	1	6	3	1	.286	.324	.609
    Minors		.265	10	34	3	9	2	0	0	1	11	1	6	3	1	.286	.324	.609
    Last edited by Redman15; 07-20-2007 at 06:03 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redman15 View Post
    Kevyn Feiner from the GCL was promoted to Sarasota according to the roster.
    Looks like Cozart and Turner are stuck in Dayton for the year. It doesn't make sense to promote a GCL player over these two or even Todd Frazier? Is he expected to stay in Billings all year?
    Two things.

1. Feiner was on a rehab assignment with the GCL team. Not sure where they wanted to place him, but I don't think it was the GCL.

2. He probably wasn't promoted to the Sarasota Reds for a long solution. He probably is just a fill in for someone who is sick or something. the GCL Reds and Sarasota Reds share the same facilities, so this actually happens all the time.

My guess is that they're trying to keep a competitive team in Dayton. They've had some down years there -- this is the first year in a while they've had a winner and it sounded like the people in Dayton had been getting a little restless. It's the jewel of the Reds minor league affiliates, so I'm sure they want to keep the atmosphere there as positive as they can. I wouldn't be surprised if Turner sees a multilevel jump next year at some point.

Sarasota 2B DeJesus was placed on the DL and 2B Fulton Kendrick was added from Billings. He could of been in Sarasota on a re-hab assignment,but I can't figure out why they won't move Turner. I know Dayton has made the play-offs but so has Sarasota. IMO, I would like to see Turner and Valaika together again come September.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Two things.

1. Feiner was on a rehab assignment with the GCL team. Not sure where they wanted to place him, but I don't think it was the GCL.

2. He probably wasn't promoted to the Sarasota Reds for a long solution. He probably is just a fill in for someone who is sick or something. the GCL Reds and Sarasota Reds share the same facilities, so this actually happens all the time.

Feiner was sent to Billings, actually, where he's doing well at the moment. After the rehab was over, that is.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redman15 View Post
    Sarasota 2B DeJesus was placed on the DL and 2B Fulton Kendrick was added from Billings. He could of been in Sarasota on a re-hab assignment,but I can't figure out why they won't move Turner. I know Dayton has made the play-offs but so has Sarasota. IMO, I would like to see Turner and Valaika together again come September.
    Maybe part of the answer comes in the positions Turner's been playing lately- not just 2B but also SS. I think I saw him at 3B at least once as well. Why they've done that, I don't know.

I like the defensive future of this club. It seems that we have so many defensive players coming up the system. I would like to see Paul Janish at some point this year get a shot. If he was switched to third we would have the best defensive infield in baseball.

Turn Off Ads?