Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Why are the Reds winning and can it be stopped?

Why are the Reds winning and can it be stopped?

Why not tank the rest of the season and improve our draft position. We are not close enough to compete for the central this year, so why try? Bring up the kids in AA and AAA and take our lumps then draft in the 1, 2, or 3 spot next year.

I have enjoyed the past few games quite a bit and I catch myself thinking it could be a miracle comeback. But then reality kicks in and tells me that we are hurting ourselves by depriving some younger guys playing time and we are moving farther away from the #1 draft position.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

2. Turn Off Ads?
    got alil captain in u?

Re: Why are the Reds winning and can it be stopped?

i've never been one to want my favorite team the reds to tank the rest of the season. Yes bring up the young kids to get there feet wet but not to lose to improve your draft status. Draft picks in baseball take longer to reach the pro's than in any other sports. In other sports the top picks can make big impacts in their first seasons in baseball it could take 3 to 4 years.

I'm not saying lose on purpose. I'm saying field a team that is young and inexperienced and let what happens happen.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    Why not tank the rest of the season and improve our draft position. We are not close enough to compete for the central this year, so why try? Bring up the kids in AA and AAA and take our lumps then draft in the 1, 2, or 3 spot next year.

I have enjoyed the past few games quite a bit and I catch myself thinking it could be a miracle comeback. But then reality kicks in and tells me that we are hurting ourselves by depriving some younger guys playing time and we are moving farther away from the #1 draft position.
    Because the last thing the Reds need to do is to continue this cycle of losing. Part of the problem I think it that there is a culture of losing already in the clubhouse - there doesn't seem to be a sense of urgency to break out of the cycle. And with no real leaders, there's no one to take the bull by the horns and get in each others face when needed. Have the Reds held a 'players only' meeting at all this year? If not, then that's a further sign of the players' apathy. Not a good idea to introduce young players into an enviroment like that so that they become climitized to the losing. Winning begets winning. And draft position is secondary to drafting smart. *two cents*

i like the title of this thread. it made me laugh

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post

Unless there is a Griffey or A-Rod type talent out there the MLB draft is such a crapshoot. For every Griffey and A-Rod there is a Brian Taylor so its not worth tanking the season and risk eroding the fanbase more just to the top pick in the draft.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Senor Votto

You want the Reds to stop winning this year? Then trade Dunn, Griffey, and Phillips

of course it can be halted, start Lohse

There is always a chance you will not be able to sign a high draft pick. The Reds have had a history of not signing high draft picks, so it might be chancy if we tank the season for no gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
    Because the last thing the Reds need to do is to continue this cycle of losing. Part of the problem I think it that there is a culture of losing already in the clubhouse - there doesn't seem to be a sense of urgency to break out of the cycle. And with no real leaders, there's no one to take the bull by the horns and get in each others face when needed. Have the Reds held a 'players only' meeting at all this year? If not, then that's a further sign of the players' apathy. Not a good idea to introduce young players into an enviroment like that so that they become climitized to the losing. Winning begets winning. And draft position is secondary to drafting smart. *two cents*

i couldn't agree with you any more than i already do! that is an excellent post, and i agree with it 100%. I believe that was one of the biggest problems with the bengals before the last couple years, and marvin lewis changed that losing attitude to the point that an 8-8 season is a disappointment. there were teams that were talented, but if you have a losers mentality you're going to lose, and after you get it, it's not an easy switch to flip and become winners again.

Turn Off Ads?