Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Demanding Saltalamacchia for Arroyo; Braves Won't Budge

Reds Demanding Saltalamacchia for Arroyo; Braves Won't Budge

The Braves have been trying to swing a deal for Reds right-hander Bronson Arroyo. But the Reds' asking price so far has been too steep -- they've asked that top hitting prospect Jarrod Saltalamacchia be included in the deal, and the Braves don't want to deal Saltalamacchia, who may be their regular first baseman for the rest of the season. ... If the Reds are going to deal a pitcher, they'd rather it be Kyle Lohse, since they have Arroyo signed through 2010 and they believe that, in the NL Central, nobody's more than a year away from contending.
    http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/inde...260.xml&coll=1

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: Reds Demanding Saltalamacchia for Arroyo; Braves Won't Budge

You stand your ground Wayne!

Screw 'em.

Replacing Arroyo won't be cheap either (if possible at all).

Braves are great at trading non-prospects (in actuality) for quality players.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    You stand your ground Wayne!
    Agrred. Arroyo isn't a guy we really need to deal. If you don't get exactly what you want, then don't do it.

Would you do Arroyo and Hatteberg for Salty?

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Agrred. Arroyo isn't a guy we really need to deal. If you don't get exactly what you want, then don't do it.

Would you do Arroyo and Hatteberg for Salty?
    I like Salty but I think Arroyo is needed more than a 4th catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    I like Salty but I think Arroyo is needed more than a 4th catcher.
    No, no, no.

Salty is actually a good catcher. Unlike Ross, Javy, and Moeller.

I wouldn't trade Arroyo by himself for Saltemacchia.

Am I wrong in thinking that we would still be getting the bad end of this deal.

Arroyo is a good #2/excellent #3 pitcher to have...doesn't that trump having a very good catcher?

If I was WK I would demand a very young minor league prospect in the deal along with Salty.

However, I think if we were able to deal Dunn and Lohse for Salty and Villarreal that would be a pretty fair deal imo.

stud catchers are even more hard to come by then pitchers

Ya can't teach speed...

This is true, but you can win with marginal catching but you can't win with marginal pitching. I would agree with those that are saying they wouldn't do a 1-1 trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Town Red View Post
    stud catchers are even more hard to come by then pitchers

You trade Bats for pitching and pitching for even more pitching. We've been there and tried to outslug everyone... it didn't work then, and it won't work now.

We spent how many years trying to find competant pitching now weve got 2 in the rotation and yorue going to trade one off for a catcher. I don't care if Salty turns out to be IRod, Piazza, and Bench slammed into 1 guy this trade wouldn't improve this team where we need it. Pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    You trade Bats for pitching and pitching for even more pitching. We've been there and tried to outslug everyone... it didn't work then, and it won't work now.

We spent how many years trying to find competant pitching now weve got 2 in the rotation and yorue going to trade one off for a catcher. I don't care if Salty turns out to be IRod, Piazza, and Bench slammed into 1 guy this trade wouldn't improve this team where we need it. Pitching.
    Well, I for one would trade Arroyo for a Hall of Fame catcher. Thats just me though.

There's no proven commodity here in Salty. Arroyo has shown that he is a competent #2 or #3 pitcher in a rotation.

I say no.

Stud pitching wins championships, not stud catching. (Nothing against stud catchers.)

I'd much rather have a pitcher like Arroyo than a great catcher.

I'm speaking out of my rump here, because I really don't have a clue of how Salty calls a game, but catching can have a big impact in the success of your pitching. I'd take Salty over Arroyo though. Yeah, we've tried to outslug everybody, but it was with power bats. Salty has pop, but he's also a competent hitter, and can do it from both sides of the plate. That's something that is missing from this line-up, and I think it would provide the Reds with more flexibility.

Turn Off Ads?