Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fay: Brantley Calls Coffey 'Choker'

Fay: Brantley Calls Coffey 'Choker'

Maybe it's because they're putting more jocks in the booth with little broadcasting experience, but there's more of this going around then I remember growing up. While Brantley may have a point about Coffey's tendencies, I think his substance is lacking style.

I don't think fans tune in to ballgames to hear the broadcasters insult the players like they have a personal problem with them. This isn't analysis, it's bravado. "He knows where to find me." ... are you serious Jeff?

Brantley backs his words
    Reds broadcaster says criticism of Coffey valid

BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

MIAMI - Reds radio broadcaster Jeff Brantley on Friday didn't back off what he said about reliever Todd Coffey on the air.

He even went a bit further.

"He chokes," Brantley said. "I stand by that. Very firmly."

Brantley made the remark during Coffey's appearance Thursday at Florida. Ironically, Coffey pitched 12/3 scoreless innings to get the win.

Coffey came into the game in the seventh inning with the Reds down 5-3 and got a double play with runners at first and second. The Reds then scored four runs to go up 7-5.

In the eighth inning with a runner on first base, Coffey started Todd Linden with two balls. Here's what was said by Brantley and Marty Brennaman from that point:

Brantley: "Two-run deficit, he was fine. Two-run lead ..."

Brennaman: "It's hard to understand."

Brantley: "You can't ... You cannot throw the ball ... I'm not even gonna say."

Brennaman: "Well, it's hard to understand how a guy can come in when a team is behind and pitch so well, and then come in to try to protect a lead ... There's ball three. It's just truly amazing."

Brantley: "You can't throw the ball with your right hand if your right hand is on your throat. You can't do both."

Brantley said he has told Coffey similar things.

"When he comes in to preserve a two-run deficit, he pitches fine ... throwing the ball over the plate because he's not worried about anything," Brantley said.

"When he comes in and we're one run ahead or two runs ahead, or if it's any type of close game, he chokes."

Reds media relations director Rob Butcher spoke to Brantley, who is employed by the team, about the remark. Coffey has not spoken to Brantley about the comment.

"... He knows where to find me," Brantley said.

Brantley's motive is to make Coffey a better pitcher.

"I know that's not my job," he said. "But I'm trying to help him."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fay: Brantley Calls Coffey 'Choker'

Brantley: "You can't throw the ball with your right hand if your right hand is on your throat. You can't do both."
    Oh, OK! _That's_ what was wrong!

"I know that's not my job," he said. "But I'm trying to help him."
    Thanks! What a little booster you are!

If Brantley is really trying to help him, he should do it in private.

"... He knows where to find me,"..... give me a break.

He's an arrogant, pompous gasbag.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Coffey's response: pure class.

Interestingly, Coffey's response is in the print version of the Enquirer, but not on-line.

"I haven't pitched like I'm supposed to in the 7th and 8th," Coffey said. "That's what he's saying. And I didn't early in the season."
    I like the way Coffey has handled this thus far, and I also like how Dunn handled the entire Pete Mack defensive replacement meeting.

They both resisted throwing a hissy fit or saying anything stupid. Good guys, both of them. Dunn, especially, is a great teammate, IMHO. I loved how he backed up Eric Milton earlier in the year. No matter what you think about your team mates, you have to go to war with them as one, as a team. You have to watch each others backs.

Jeff Brantley should be ashamed of himself (Bull in a china shop comes to mind). While he might be right, there are certain things you just do not say out loud. He could have pointed out how well Coffey pitches when the Reds are behind, and how poorly he pitches with a lead, and left it there. Any casual fan with an ounce of intelligence would have known what he was saying, and at that point, he was just stating fact.

This is in very poor taste, IMO.

The fact that Marty cozies up to Brantley when Brantley makes remarks like that tells you a little something about where Marty's head is. Guys like that feed off each other.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    If Brantley is really trying to help him, he should do it in private.

"... He knows where to find me,"..... give me a break.

He's an arrogant, pompous gasbag.
    I like him. I think he knows a great deal about the game and his play-by-play is quite good. I don't mind if he's honest.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

He may be right but calling someone a "choker" like that is classless. If he has a problem with Coffey he should address it with him in private.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    While Brantley may have a point about Coffey's tendencies, I think his substance is lacking style.
    Well put.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    I like him. I think he knows a great deal about the game and his play-by-play is quite good. I don't mind if he's honest.
    I agree with most of what you say; I also have enjoyed listening to JB for the most part. But there's a difference between being honest and being crass. JB crossed the line. To his credit, he admitted saying it, and didn't try to make us believe that he did not. If it were me, I might have come back (when Fay asked about it) with something like "I was kind of harsh; and it is something Todd and I have talked about before."

The old football coach where I went to high school used to say "There's a difference between standing out, and being outstanding, and the sooner you guys learn that, the better men you'll be."

The funny thing was, they went on and on about how terrible he was, then hardly a word after he strikes out Cabrera, one of the best hitters in the game.

I will never understand why the Reds hire people to continually trash their product. Of course the Reds are awful, but Marty especially seems to hate the young players - i.e., the future - the most. He is a great announcer - and still is probably the best play by play guy I've ever heard - but his act was old five years ago.

I don't see a problem with what Brantley said, when he said it or why he said it...it has been true and Coffey is a better pitcher than that.

While I could really appreciate a little bit of a "homer" attitude from the booth once in a while maybe this is something that has come down from the top to get this team to not be such a bunch of pansies?

Isn't this similar to what many of us on this board have said about Coffey?

As for the comment of "He knows where too find me..." One reason I hate print media is because a writer can take a statement like that and stand it out there all on its own and it looks like a bar fight is about to breakout...when it could have been part of a further dialog and not been said in that spirit at all.

Oh well, for what it is worth, I've written too much.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

"We have seen a pattern whereby Coffey seems to pitch very well when the Reds are behind, but when they have the lead, he seems to struggle. Perhaps it is because he is unable to handle the pressure and responsibility of holding a lead, which causes him to tighten up, whereas when the Reds are behind he just goes out and pitches."

The George Grande version. Everyone feel better now?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post

The George Grande version. Everyone feel better now?
    Funny, tr (I really did laugh!); but no, I don't really feel better.

I'd rather the Reds and WLW employees handle themselves with some class and dignity. Grande is well thought of throughout all of baseball for a reason. And it's not for his love of all things Cardinal!

There's a way to say exactly what JB meant without coming across like he's challenging Coffey's manhood: "he knows where to find me." Some things just do not need to be said on the air:

"You can't throw the ball with your right hand if your right hand is on your throat. You can't do both."

Well, maybe it's just that societal norms are changing, and I'm quickly becoming a dinosaur.

He is making him better, Brantley was the one who brought up how Coffey needs to quit his goofey sprint to the mound because it was effecting him on the first batter and he was right, Coffey was getting lit up at the time ...teams were batting something like .600 off him and he has since quit that knucklehead sprint.

Haunted by walks

I like Todd Coffey and hope he succeeds, but I've always wondered if people had unrealistic expectations of him. If I remember right, he was a very late rounds draft pick with a weight problem who came from nowhere and pitched relatively well when there was nothing else in the pen in the late season. But because he was big and ran to the mound, people expected another Rob Dibble. As much as I like him, I found that even when he's pitching well he tends to be messy, putting runners on, getting into trouble then scraping by. Despite his size, he seems more like an "everything has to go right" pitcher than a "blow it by them" guy.

there are a lot of reasons the Nuxhall was beloved, not trashing players on air was just one of them.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?