Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Direct TV vs. Cable: Here we go again.

Direct TV vs. Cable: Here we go again.

Ok folks. My wife and I have gone into contract on a new home and I now must decide the best route as far as cable supply goes.

We currently have Time Warner here in Columbus and have been pretty satisfied with the service. We currently have the full digital cable package and a DVR. We currently do not have HD but this will be a factor in the new home since I'm buying a plasma or LCD soon.

I have it down to DirectTV or staying with TW. TW would allow us to do the whole package deal (cable, internet, digital phone) for around $100/month. Direct seems to be better for the sports fan that I am, but I've been skeptical about switching to dish for quite awhile.

The easiest way to get suggestions might be to just list what we must have as far as features go and then just listen to everyones response.

MUST HAVE:

High quality DVR (we live off this thing as far as TV goes)
    Good HD service
    Good sports selection

OK, enough jibber jabber. Let me know what you think. Any and all suggestions and comments are appreciated.
    Matta = Really good

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Direct TV vs. Cable: Here we go again.

Aren't there currently only 14 HD channels in existence?

I currently have Charter cable/HS internet. The lower tier channels (2-78) are analog, while the upper tiers are digital. No HD. I'm paying $135/month.

I have a 60" Sony Wega TV (HD capable).

But I am starting to get somewhat frustrated with Charter as far as their cable TV. I have signal/reception problems sometimes, where the digital signal on the upper channels breaks up. I've had them out numerous times, but they say my signal strength is fine.

I talked with a Directv rep just last week. I may switch, but I'd have to keep my internet with Charter.

To those of you that have Directv - do you have signal problems much when it storms?

And I really am apprehensive about having them drill/mount their disk on my roof or side of the house. I rather have it on a separate tower next to the house.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-21-2007 at 04:51 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Been with Directv for over 7 yrs...love the service. We currently have....
    4 DVR'S
    2 HD tv's
    You can have as many dvr's as you want and its only 5.99 a month
    currently they only carry about 10 HD channels (besides locals), but
    was told last week they will be upgrading to 75 channels by Sept, and
    150 by next year.
    I cant really comment on TW since it is not carried in Chicago.
    One drawback is that you will lose signal from time to time during
    heavy rain or snowstorms. But usually only lasts a short time.

Not sure how you are getting the package from TW for around 100...We have just the net and cable. We have every channel I believe including HD and what not and our bill is over 200, i think its close to 240. Once the new customer discount ends, the prices really do to go up.

I've had TWC, switched to satellite, and then switched back to TWC (better HD DVR at the time, plus didn't have the money to pay up front for the DirecTV HD DVR), and then switched back to DirecTV.

It's hard to say really. DirecTV is cheaper if you have multiple DVR's. I added a 2nd DVR through TWC and I think they charged me around $20 a month.

Right now, I have TWC cable internet and phone service, which is around $72 a month or so, and I have DirecTV with the HD package for around $80 per month.

Dish Network currently has 25- 30 HD channels, including the premium ones.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by bengalsown View Post
    I've had TWC, switched to satellite, and then switched back to TWC (better HD DVR at the time, plus didn't have the money to pay up front for the DirecTV HD DVR), and then switched back to DirecTV.

It's hard to say really. DirecTV is cheaper if you have multiple DVR's. I added a 2nd DVR through TWC and I think they charged me around $20 a month.

Right now, I have TWC cable internet and phone service, which is around $72 a month or so, and I have DirecTV with the HD package for around $80 per month.
    If you call customer service and just ask you can get alot form DTV...i received both my HD TIVO for just shipping prices....i also call from time to time and ask for free premium channels and get it....if you threaten to cancel a service they will bend over backwards for you....i recently told them i was going to cancel my NFL package and they offered me free superfan(100 dollar cost) and gave me a free month of Showtime...it helps if you get a female through customer service....they seem to be more helpful...if you don't like what they offer, ask to get transfered to another person or call back...it takes a little work, but worth it

Directv is saying they will soon have the capacity for 150 HD channels...

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...assetId=900034

I went on Directv's website and utilized their channel/price option to do a "side by side"comparison with Charter Communications. I currently have Charter's premium package, which includes HBO, ShowTime, Movie Channel, and Cinemax. It's costing me $100/month. Since I am getting their premium package, they also discount their 3 mg HS cable modem service. So my total monthly bill is $135.

If I get Directv's Choice plan ($50), and then wanted to add the premium movie channel lineup like I have with Charter, paid for the HD reception option ($10/month), the price is slightly higher then the $100/month I am paying now.

Plus - I'd have to keep my Charter HS internet service because what Directv offers is unacceptable and not comparable to what I have. The price for Charter's HS internet, by itself, is $55.

So if I went to Directv, kept my Charter internet, I'm really not saving any money; but spending about $20/month more in fact. And for what? I get access to several HD channels like TNT, ESPN, ESPN2, Discovery, HDNet Movies, and Pay-per-View?

And I'm still trying to figure out what the receiver costs might be (if any). I obviously want a HD one in my living room with the 60" Sony. And then I'd need four of the standard receivers for the bedrooms. The one local Directv rep I talked to last week, here at the local fair, said I had to buy the HD receiver ($99) and pay $5/month for each bedroom standard receiver. Maybe he was trying to jerk me around though because on their website it says I can get their Choice Xtra + HD package for $65, and that includes a free HD receiver as well as the standard receivers free (up to 4 rooms). If you want to be able to record programming though, you have to buy their receiver, which costs $199 (after $100 rebate).

I'll wait till they expand their HD channel lineup and then look again later.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-22-2007 at 10:35 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

GAC...yea the DTV internet is a joke...tell them if you want my business you want a free HD TIVO (minus shipping) usually around 20 bucks... you will get it..i had a friend at work who was with DTV for years. Had the premium package around 100 a month..told them he was going to cancel, they offered him the same package for 50 a month for life! no increase ever to stay. They can offer anything they want, you just have to be persistent . But that might work with all cable/sat companies.

one other note...all DTV equipment is now a lease. You have to give it back after you cancel. I have 2 Tivos grandfathered in, but this was a change they made about a year ago.

I called direct tv a month ago, and they told me I had to pay $300 bucks APIECE for high def dvr's. I need two of them, and I refused to pay that much for something that I didn't even own.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

it might have helped that i was an existing customer when i upgraded to HD TIVO....

Quote Originally Posted by bengalsown View Post

How did the picture quality compare?

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I called direct tv a month ago, and they told me I had to pay $300 bucks APIECE for high def dvr's. I need two of them, and I refused to pay that much for something that I didn't even own.
    I don't know why they do things the way they do, but they told me that when I signed up six months ago so I held off. Went and bought one at Costco for $270 the other day though, called to set up the install, and the woman asked me how much it cost me and told me that they'd give it to me for shipping costs ($20).

So obviously I did that and took the other one back to Costco.

The guy who came out to install said that installers have to pay for their own DirecTV service and that they charged him $150 for his HD-DVR. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

they want you to lease their equipment...

Turn Off Ads?