Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wheres the thread about griffey's hustle tonight

wheres the thread about griffey's hustle tonight

if that was EE or some other player, the fans would be castigating him severely

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: wheres the thread about griffey's hustle tonight

EE hasn't torn his hamstring off the bone.
    EE isn't a hall of famer.
    EE hasn't even solidified his lineup spot.
    All Reds fans cringe when Junior goes all out. Too many bad memories.
    Junior should be chasing Hank and Bonds...

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    You're not seriously excusing Griffey for blatantly loafing it (even lightly jogging at 2 different times on the same play) on the basepaths are you?

Griffey is my favorite player but there is no excuse for his lack of hustle tonight. Just because he has been hurt does not give him the right to jog around the bases.

Is he currently hurt? If you are playing scared get off the field.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Face it. Griffey can run. But the times he chooses not to do so is adding up.
    How many times (and be honest with yourself {addressed to no one here in particular, just whomever reads this} has Griffey had anear home run, had it hit off the wall and be held to a single b/c Jr. didn't hustle right from the start? The answer- too many.

I would love to have the 1999 version of Greg Vaughn on this team and have KGJ not hustle like he should. Vaughn wouldn't tolerate that stuff for a second. KGJ admires/watches every potential HR of his before starting to run. Then Griff gives that little hop/skip and in very little hurry, he heads toward first.

Junior has 5 or so stolen bases this year w/o being caught. His legs are good enough to run out every ground ball or fly ball but he doesn't.

I appreciate what the man has done for himself, this city and for baseball but all of us can point out a guy that isn't giving 100% to his team/teammates. Just watch Junior and be objective. Tonight was a prime example.

Getting himself thrown out at 2nd base tonight was from a lack of hustle right after he hit the pop fly. The replay showed it all. Instant replays don't lie. I'm glad we have Griffey on the Reds but I'm still able to identify a player that "doggs it" occasionally. KGJ should lead by example, and if that's going to be his way of a continued lack of hustle... well then, perhaps it's time to go.

I think he's disinterested overall. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Vada Pinson Fan View Post
    How many times (and be honest with yourself {addressed to no one here in particular, just whomever reads this} has Griffey had anear home run, had it hit off the wall and be held to a single b/c Jr. didn't hustle right from the start? The answer- too many.

I would love to have the 1999 version of Greg Vaughn on this team and have KGJ not hustle like he should. Vaughn wouldn't tolerate that stuff for a second. KGJ admires/watches every potential HR of his before starting to run. Then Griff gives that little hop/skip and in very little hurry, he heads toward first.

Junior has 5 or so stolen bases this year w/o being caught. His legs are good enough to run out every ground ball or fly ball but he doesn't.

I appreciate what the man has done for himself, this city and for baseball but all of us can point out a guy that isn't giving 100% to his team/teammates. Just watch Junior and be objective. Tonight was a prime example.

Getting himself thrown out at 2nd base tonight was from a lack of hustle right after he hit the pop fly. The replay showed it all. Instant replays don't lie. I'm glad we have Griffey on the Reds but I'm still able to identify a player that "doggs it" occasionally. KGJ should lead by example, and if that's going to be his way of a continued lack of hustle... well then, perhaps it's time to go.

great points, great post.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Quote Originally Posted by Vada Pinson Fan View Post

He does have a tendency to loaf sometimes. Good point on him being disinterested, thats the dog days of summer while u r on a terrible team. Griffey is a great player but he should be benched for not hustling just like every other player should. They make millions of dollars to play a game and should hustle all the time. Not quite as crazy as Freel but hustle not the less. I love Griffey but he is just another example of a ego driven superstar who managers cater too and dont make them put in the same work. Same old same old

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    i'm with you. i don't think that griffey should loaf like he was tonight, but i don't want to see him completely busting it either. the same people wanting him to hustle will be complaining when he's injured from diving for a ball and dislocating his shoulder.

Waaa!

Get over it already.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    You're not seriously excusing Griffey for blatantly loafing it (even lightly jogging at 2 different times on the same play) on the basepaths are you?
    He did not like getting benched so he could rest, if he runs that out maybe the manger will think he needs more rest

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Waaa!

Get over it already.
    Yeah, definitely. I love watching my players walk around the bases. Hopefully next time, Jr. will just be like me and my buddies on Thursday nights and stop for a beer before making the turn to second. And if anybody says anything to him, he can just use the logically sound argument of, "Waaa! Get over it already." I like it.

[/sarcasm]

I think he still plays it cautious when running. The guy still hasn't played a full season since 2000. He and the rest of us still hold our breath when he sprints full out. How could you not?

If you can't run 90 feet, time to hang it up.

If you can but choose not to... well thats something different.

Personally, I think the loafing, whether justified or not, sets a bad example to the young guys.

The Reds aren't good enough to have the luxury of loafing it. Well, thats what I would have said 20 years ago when baseball was still baseball. When I see Hall of Famers like KGJ loaf around the bases, admiring each fly ball to its conclusion, home run or not, I know that the "hustle" we all want to see will forever be few and far between, no matter what team we're watching.
    Last edited by Ludwig Reds Fan; 07-22-2007 at 06:18 PM.
    L.A. manager Grady Little had a bad feeling about Wednesday's game when he saw Harang and pitching coach Dick Pole walking in after Harang's warmup.

"I saw two big men," Little said. "Either could have shut us out tonight."

What did Marty have to say about it?

Turn Off Ads?