Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would a sweep of the Brewers do?

What would a sweep of the Brewers do?

What kind of repercussions would a sweep do for the Reds? Would winning four straight cause the Reds to hold their cards? You would be 9 back with around 60 games left? This is a hypothetical question of course.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What would a sweep of the Brewers do?

I'm not sure it matters anymore. I'm not sure that the Reds are going to cut deeply enough in a "fire sale" and I don't believe that the guys they will trade will bring back anything to help the future. I suppose getting out from under Stanton's 2008 contract might be the best thing that happens. A Dunn trade will probably hurt more than it helps. I don't see Griffey, Weathers or Hatte being dealt. Lohse probably gets nothing more than a Ben Juckich type return at this point. Conine even less if he goes. I've gotten fairly pessimistic on the idea after reading the last few days. I hope I'm wrong.

Assuming the Reds do sweep the Brewers, I hope it doesn't change anything. That 9 Games back just may be for 2nd place with the way the Cubs are playing and no way should a team 9 games back at the end of July with 2 teams to catch entertain any notions IMO. Especially not one as flawed as the Reds are. It might be different if this was a clear contender chasing a couple of fast starts coming back to the pack, but that's not the situation.
    Last edited by mth123; 07-22-2007 at 08:05 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm not sure it matters anymore. I'm not sure that the Reds are going to cut deeply enough in a "fire sale" and I don't believe that the guys they will trade will bring back anything to help the future. I suppose getting out from under Stanton's 2008 contract might be the best thing that happens. A Dunn trade will probably hurt more than it helps. I don't see Griffey, Weathers or Hatte being dealt. Lohse probably gets nothing more than a Ben Juckich type return at this point. Conine even less if he goes. I've gotten fairly pessimistic on the idea after reading the last few days. I hope I'm wrong.

Assuming the Reds do sweep the Brewers, I hope it doesn't change anything. That 9 Games back just may be for 2nd place with the way the Cubs are playing and no way should a team 9 games back at the end of July with 2 teams to catch entertain any notions IMO. Especially not one as flawed as the Reds are. It might be different if this was a clear contender chasing a couple of fast starts coming back to the pack, but that's not the situation.
    I wouldn't suggest that the Reds have any notion of catching the top club, but being that far back and winning is not unprecedented. The Cubs in 1935 and 1938 were back nine games in July and August, as were the 1951 Giants. As I said, that would be an enormously tall order for the Reds, but it has been done.

That said, I'm not terribly worried about a possible sweep of the Brewers giving the Reds any false hopes. I'm not a fan of the "blow it up" theory, but I don't think such a series win would stop the club from making some moves. Again, though, I don't discount our players the way others here seem to.

We'll see how it all plays out.

Didnt the Twins catch somebody just a few years ago in the same manner, Im sure Bob Cast is thinkng the same thing, everytime I see him he's about as intense on winning as anyone Ive ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Didnt the Twins catch somebody just a few years ago in the same manner, Im sure Bob Cast is thinkng the same thing, everytime I see him he's about as intense on winning as anyone Ive ever seen.
    Last year, the Twins were nine games back on August 12th in 3rd place. They won the division, but did lose in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Last year, the Twins were nine games back on August 12th in 3rd place. They won the division, but did lose in the playoffs.
    If they sweep cant you see Castellini telling Krivsky "I wanna win this thing."

status quo...false hope..... maybe this team is headed in the right direction.

And that is not what we need. Not that I wouldn't want a sweep. It would be nice (I still have the tail end of the '99 season in the back of my mind).
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    status quo...false hope..... maybe this team is headed in the right direction.

And that is not what we need. Not that I wouldn't want a sweep. It would be nice (I still have the tail end of the '99 season in the back of my mind).
    This is the Catch 22 of a baseball season. No one wants a losing team; a losing season. I think I'm with those who believe this team isn't real far off from contending; protestations here to the contrary. That's why I'm no fan of the "blow it up" school. I like our core and there's any number of teams who would like some of our starting players. They're not the bums some seem to think they are.

Gotta run.

I'm still convinced that last year we tried to "serve two masters" and we're still feeling the repercussions.

Forget about contending this year and deal for the future.

We can't afford to do both.

The bullpen is an anchor that will take us to the bottom of the sea until it's fixed, no matter what short term success we may have.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

help out the Cubs
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Trying to win now just because of the overall weakness of the NL Central is, in my mind, short-sighted. Would anyone be overly excited for an NL Central win with 84 wins, and then a guaranteed first round ousting? I would rather build a good team in relation to the rest of baseball than build a good team in relation to the rest of the division.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    help out the Cubs
    Yep, though I fully expect the Reds to hold their cards and "see what happens" the rest of the year.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    This is the Catch 22 of a baseball season. No one wants a losing team; a losing season. I think I'm with those who believe this team isn't real far off from contending; protestations here to the contrary. That's why I'm no fan of the "blow it up" school. I like our core and there's any number of teams who would like some of our starting players. They're not the bums some seem to think they are.
    I fully agree and have stated that before. The problem still lies with the pitching. It has been killing us. Arroyo has been a huge disapointment; but has pitched better as of late. But Harang is the only one we can really rely on.

The bullpen? We all already now about them guys.... they're a bunch of chokers!

But can it be fixed without blowing it up? I believe it can.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Trying to win now just because of the overall weakness of the NL Central is, in my mind, short-sighted. Would anyone be overly excited for an NL Central win with 84 wins, and then a guaranteed first round ousting? I would rather build a good team in relation to the rest of baseball than build a good team in relation to the rest of the division.
    While I understand what you are saying, and tend to agree - last year's WS winners was the Cardinals, who were 83-78. Anything can happen once you get into the post-season.

But there is no way, IMHO, the Reds will come even close this year. Their only hope is to try and finish with some sort of "respectability" - if that is even possible in this division - and play for the sake of their pride (if they have any).

Should they be playing like they can get back into this thing? Absolutely! But from a FO's perspective, even if this team recovers somewhat, they need to realize that much is needed to be done, and not allow any "success" they may have in this second half to dissuade them otherwise. Don't allow themselves to be deceived.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I fully agree and have stated that before. The problem still lies with the pitching. It has been killing us. Arroyo has been a huge disapointment; but has pitched better as of late. But Harang is the only one we can really rely on.

The bullpen? We all already now about them guys.... they're a bunch of chokers!

But can it be fixed without blowing it up? I believe it can.
    But it would cost a lot of money to do "fix it" without blowing it up. How much does an effective bullpen cost? Not a few pieces, but the whole thing? They would need at least one other effective starter and a power RH batter.

That's a large investment.

Turn Off Ads?