Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What an effort by Harang tonite.

got alil captain in u?

What an effort by Harang tonite.

That was what an ace pitcher is right there. 10k's at one time had retired 17 in a row. If he doesn't get one vote this year for cy young there is a serious conspiracy this man is a legit candidate.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What an effort by Harang tonite.

I can admit I never thought much of the midseason move when Cincy picked him up.....was Harang the only piece in that package for Guillen?

acquired from the Athletics RHP Aaron Harang, RHP Joe Valentine and RHP Jeff Bruksch in exchange for OF Jose Guillen

uoduck1017

Harang is a bulldog. There is absolutely no doubt he is our best pitcher and staff ace.

I think Harang has ended the debate about whether or not he's a #1. There are not many pitchers I'd rather build a staff around.

It's a shame he didn't get the win for that effort tonight. But great win in the 12th for the team.
    Who's on first?

Hatteberg is Sean Casey

A.Harrang will be an all- star next year. Mark it down.

(psst.. he should have been one this year..)
    "YES! He rips it. Is it high enough? It's gonna be gone! Adam Dunn has done it again. Big #44 can take all day to round the bases here, thats done and gone- lookout dunner they're waitin for ya at home plate." - George Grand

"Did that just happen?" - Chris Welsch

I don't follow the AL, so this just speaks for the NL.

Based on production the past year and a half...Harang deserves to be paid more than any pitcher in the NL. Granted, he doesn't have as high a ceiling as others, but he has produced more than anyone.

Watching Aaron pitch tonight was a joy, an absolute clinic in pitching.

I just wanted to point out that the Reds have won 9 out of Harang's last 10 starts, and are 17-5 on the year in Harang's 22 starts.

REDS:

With Harang: 17-5
    W/O Harang: 25-53

His season this year is amazing, but considering how much this team relies on him, that puts Harang in an even more elite position. The man should be seriously considered in the Cy Young race.

Pretty stupid to send him out for 10 innings. Don't kill his arm Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Roush View Post
    Relax. You have to look at his total pitches (121). He'll get up there a few times a year, but 121 on one night is nothing to whine about. (He threw 135 in a game last year). Nothing can stop the Great Harang!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Relax. You have to look at his total pitches (121). He'll get up there a few times a year, but 121 on one night is nothing to whine about. (He threw 135 in a game last year). Nothing can stop the Great Harang!!!
    I just want him to keep being the great Harang. I live in Texas and saw what High School coaches did to Kerry Wood's arm. He was damaged goods when the Cubs drafted him because he was overworked.

I know one start won't kill Harang, but don't risk it for a season that won't amount to anything. He was probably left in because our bullpen stinks so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I agree with you 100%. The comment I had made in the other thread was meant to be sarcastic because Narron used to get hammered quite a bit for keeping starters in too long.

I think starters today are pampered way too much with these pitch counts. A starter averaging 100-120 pitches a game should not be an issue. If a pitcher gets injured and his pitch count is being blamed, then they have bigger problems and probably won't last long.

My opinion is based on an older veteran pitcher though, I still think pitch counts are valuable when utilized with young pitchers still developing. I would never advocate a manager using young pitchers in the manner that Dusty Baker did in Chicago.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Anyone hear what Chris Welsh said about Aaron's performance during the post game show with Jeff Piecorro? Welsh said something like- he wants to make illegal dvd copies of the game tonight and have each Reds pitcher watch it ten times. Of course Chris is a good guy and his point was "tongue-n-cheek" about the illegal copies but the rest of his message would be a great point!!! Especially to sit down the Reds anemic relief corp (and certain other starters as well) and watch Harang's stellar performance over and over and...!

You've heard of "requisite reading"? Well....... notworthyharang:
    Last edited by Vada Pinson Fan; 07-24-2007 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Roush View Post
    Again...before putting out your "pretty stupid" remark...look at the numbers. First, 121 is not a dangerous level for a pitch count. If you are throwing that much each time out, sure, you've got a problem.

However, Harang is averaging 104 pitches per start.

Compare to
    Oswalt 104
    Webb 102
    Sabathia 104
    Zambrano 110 (gasp, I guess Sweet Lou is a horrible manager)
    Peavy 106

And those are just some "horses"-type pitchers I can think of. So, don't let this one game freak you out. Apparently its too late for that, but I reiterate...relax.

And second and unrelated to anything mentioned earlier...notice how Harang hasn't been oft-injured (knocking on wood). I truly believe that it is related to the relative lack of exertion he makes when he makes a pitch. In other words, he doesn't over-exert himself, which leads to less injury and higher pitch counts being ok. (This is just an observation of mine).

Please come to the table with some numbers or anything relavent before proclaiming the best start of the year for the Reds as being "pretty stupid".

Turn Off Ads?