Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone who has kids playing baseball

Anyone who has kids playing baseball

Just thought I'd pass this along.

My son recently tried out for a select baseball team (9U) and I was looking for a new baseball bat for him. He's wanted a "big barrel" bat for awhile now. All of his friends have them and I've been reluctant to get one for him for a couple reasons: 1) the price. All of the ones I've seen are between $200-300. He's still developing and not the strongest kid in the world, so the -9, -10 drops are the best for him at this age and those are the most expensive. 2) I wanted him to play this year with a 2 1/4" barrel so he'd learn to center the ball and "earn" his hits, if you will. I didn't want him using some mega-huge barrel bat that was too big for him, hitting it off the handle and letting the bat get the hit for him, even though he didn't hit it well.

Well, I found the answer to my problems today. I found a DeMarini 28" bat with a -10 drop (18 oz) at DirectSports.com that was on sale for $89.00 (regularly $199.99). Sweet! I placed my order this morning, only to have a service rep call me to inform me they were sold out. "We have the 2008 model on sale for $179.99 right now..." "Nope. I don't want to spend that much for a bat," I told her. "Go ahead and cancel the order." I did a quick web search for that model bat and found a site called "JustBats.com." Man, am I lucky I found this site. Not only did they have that model, they had it on sale for $99.99 and best of all, it's part of a buy one, get one free offer. So, I'll be paying $10 more than if I would have bought the bat through DirectSports (not really because DirectSports charges $9.95 shipping and shipping is free on the JustBats.com site - so it's a push) and I'll be getting another bat (same exact model, size, and weight) free. That means I can have him use one bat for games only, and one bat (the exact same one) for practice and batting cages. Very good deal, IMO.

I just wanted to let all of you know on this site that deals like this were available. I didn't want to pay a fortune for my son's bat, but I wanted him to have good equipment. JustBats.com has other bats if you don't like the DeMarini's. I suggest if you are looking for a bat, you give that site a try. Also, they have a sister store called "JustBallGloves.com," that offers discounted baseball gloves. The links to both sites are below. Hope this thread helps some others out there that didn't want to spend a ton of money on good equipment as well.

http://www.justbats.com/products/detail_view.asp?i=6055

http://www.justballgloves.com/
    Last edited by Red Leader; 07-24-2007 at 11:07 AM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anyone who has kids playing baseball

Nice find!

For anyone real crazy, check out this offer for kids that use a 28" bat:

3 DeMarini bats (1, 28" DXVNR -8.5 length to weight ratio ; 1, 28" DXVDR -7.5 length to weight ratio, and 1, 28" DXVXR -10 length to weight ratio) for $169.99 + free shipping.

That's three bats that retail for $199.99 or more each ($599.97 total) for $169.99.

I almost went all in on that deal, but just went for the buy one get one deal on the DXVXR.

http://www.justbats.com/products/detail_view.asp?i=5933
    Last edited by Red Leader; 07-24-2007 at 02:20 PM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

This kind of ties into that "Children of the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's" thread.

Remember when you simply took your kid to the sporting goods store and had him hold 3 or 4 bats to see how they felt? Then you bought him the one that felt the best and that was his bat for the next year. That's how I got my little league bats. They probably cost $20 or $30, tops.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

My son plays on a select, 9 and under, travel team and we have stayed with the 2 1/4" barrel. We tried the big barrel and didn't see enough difference to make the switch. He swings an Easton Stealth, 30" 19oz. bat. The ball seems to jump just as much for him with the 2 1/4" barrel as the "big barrel." That has been the case with most of the kids on our team. Only 1 uses the big barrel. Jumping back between USSSA ball and Little League, I think it makes a lot of sense to stick with the smaller barrel. It hasn't hurt our performance in that out of the three tournaments that we have played since Little League tournaments ended, we have won one and finished second twice.

That is a great deal, Red Leader. I would be tempted by that one.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Another good site is:

http://www.closeoutbats.com/closeout-bats.html

I am kinda mixed regarding the concept of the "Big Barrel" bats (2 3/4" diameter). My son also plays on an 8 year old All-Star team which recently played a USSSA rule tourney in Pigeon Forge, TN where these bats were permitted.

Not only does it slow down the swings of many younger players, but it really has an adverse effect on the kids if/when they return to playing games with the more traditional (and Cal Ripken rules sanctioned) 2 1/4" diameter bats.

Another thing we noticed while using those bats was that several well struck balls, that would have normally dropped in over the infielder's heads, ended up traveling those extra 20-30 feet in the air and being caught for easy outs by the outfielders.

My son tried using one of these bats for a game or so and ended up going back to the bat that he used while earning his spot on the All-Star team.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

I'm just amazed that they have select teams for 9 and under. I can remember when, at 8, we were doing t-ball to coach pitch and select teams didn't start until Middle School. Of course they're doing t-ball at 3 and 4 now and coach pitch at 5 and 6, so maybe it's different now.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I'm just amazed that they have select teams for 9 and under. I can remember when, at 8, we were doing t-ball to coach pitch and select teams didn't start until Middle School. Of course they're doing t-ball at 3 and 4 now and coach pitch at 5 and 6, so maybe it's different now.
    I was about to ask the same thing -- I don't get the notion of travel teams for kids that young.

Maybe it's because there's nothing in my children's gene pool that says they'll be scholarship athletes in college. Maybe I've heard too many Little League stories of over-competitiveness. But it seems like these parents are declaring that Little League isn't competitive enough. And maybe I'm just showing my age and longing for the days when kids were free to be multi-sport athletes and didn't have to declare an athletic major, so to speak, before they even left grade school.

You guys who have the young kids playing select ball -- what am I missing here?
    Not all who wander are lost

The team from my son's Little League (he isn't on it) won the Indiana tournament and is off to West Virginia. I am glad dhe isn't on it. It just seems too much to me. It's too young to be worrried about his career at age 9.

But I bet it is a once in a lifetime experience, too.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

My son's team is a Little League All-Star team of 12 players, selected from a pool of nearly 200 players. We play two tournaments, associated with Little League Baseball, then play 3-4 more tournaments, usually USSSA or AAU. These kids really enjoy playing against other talented kids. It is an unbelievably good brand of baseball for the age group. These kids are much better than I ever thought about being at that age. The fundamentals and playmaking ability is outstanding, and they just love to play baseball. Unlike a lot of rec league players, nobody is making these kids play. They want to be there and soak up everything like little sponges.

With that said, the majority of teams that we play in the USSSA and AAU tournaments have been together for 1-3 years. Last weekend, our 9 year old team played in a 10 year old tournament and took second place. We were defeated in the finals, 9-8, by a team from South Carolina that had been together, and traveling, for two years. For me, I think that it is too early to travel full time. There is something special about playing at the local Little League with all your buddies, although our league is huge. (15 T-ball teams, 10 machine pitch teams, 22 Coach pitch teams, 23 minor league teams, and 12 major league teams this past season.) When my son reaches 13-14, we'll consider it. He has already been invited to play on several select teams here in the Charlotte area, full time, but we have declined. It is almost crazy at how some of these teams recruit players. There are coaches from these select teams at our Little League and tournament games, constantly, and they paint a pretty picture. I am approached, frequently about it.

As for Matt? He just wants to play ball.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    The team from my son's Little League (he isn't on it) won the Indiana tournament and is off to West Virginia. I am glad dhe isn't on it. It just seems too much to me. It's too young to be worrried about his career at age 9.

But I bet it is a once in a lifetime experience, too.
    Are they playing in the Tournament of State Champions in Ceredo-Kenova? (Very close to my hometown of Barboursville) Our 10 year old team from Weddington is playing in that tournament. One of my very close friends is coaching that team. They say the folks in Ceredo-Kenova put on a wonderful tournament. The stadium, there(Mitch Stadium), is a thing of beauty

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Are they playing in the Tournament of State Champions in Ceredo-Kenova? (Very close to my hometown of Barboursville) Our 10 year old team from Weddington is playing in that tournament. One of my very close friends is coaching that team. They say the folks in Ceredo-Kenova put on a wonderful tournament. The stadium, there(Mitch Stadium), is a thing of beauty
    It shore is. Actually, the local team kind of backed into it. The lost the final game with the tying run on third. The winner- South Bend, failed to submit a sufficient roster due to family vacations, so the Terre Haute team was invited.
    Last edited by 919191; 07-27-2007 at 09:58 AM.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I was about to ask the same thing -- I don't get the notion of travel teams for kids that young.

Maybe it's because there's nothing in my children's gene pool that says they'll be scholarship athletes in college. Maybe I've heard too many Little League stories of over-competitiveness. But it seems like these parents are declaring that Little League isn't competitive enough. And maybe I'm just showing my age and longing for the days when kids were free to be multi-sport athletes and didn't have to declare an athletic major, so to speak, before they even left grade school.

You guys who have the young kids playing select ball -- what am I missing here?

I understand where you are coming from. Let me just tell you a little about my background, and go from there.

I grew up in the city I live in now. I played "rec ball" until I was in 6th grade (had to, there were no other leagues). In the 6th grade, one of the parents proactively decided to form an "All-Star team" of all the kids in the rec league and enter that team in a local tournament. It was one of the best things I ever did. First time I saw a curve ball, was challenged at the plate, in the field, and had to really, really mentally stay in the game. I loved it. It made me a better player. 7th and 8th grade I played on our local catholic grade school 7th and 8th grade teams (CYO). We were undefeated both years and played in the CYO tourament. Again, another good experience. After our grade school seasons ended I played for the high school's summer league team (in 7th I played for the freshman summer league team, in 8th I played for the varsity summer league team). It was those experiences that made me a better baseball player and allowed me to make varsity as a freshman. I eventually went on to get a partial D1 scholarship for college.

My son has loved playing baseball since he could stand up. He begs me to play catch or throw him some pitches everyday (winter included). He started out in rec league t-ball when he was in pre-school, playing in a league with kindergartners. He played well. The next year, in kindergarten, he played coach pitch (with 1st and 2nd graders) and excelled in that league. He was one of the better fielders, throwers and hitters. In 1st grade he repeated the coach pitch level (with kid his own age-1st grade, and 2nd graders) and dominated. To the point I'd get dirty looks from opposing teams parents and overhear them say "he has no business playing in this league, it's just not fair," on the way out of the park. This past year (in 2nd grade) he played in a kid pitch/combo league with 3rd graders. Once again he dominated the competition to the tune of a .785 avg, 6 HR's, 11 2B's, and 36 RBI in 15 games. He also went 3-1 with a 1.65 ERA and 38 K in 18 IP on the mound. One of the coaches in the league approached me about having him play for the select team. The coach was a former asst. coach with our high school varsity baseball coach and coached with my former high school coach (who was the Ohio leader in W's until the Moeller coach just recently passed him) and the current high school coach. He is an excellent teacher of baseball. That's the most important thing in the world when it comes to youth athletics, coaching. A good coach will do wonders to improve the skills of young athletes. They'll make good athletes very good and excellent athletes even better.

So, the coach was one of my main reasons for wanting him to play in a select league. I want him to continue to get better, and he wants to continue getting better and having a good coach is the best way to accomplish that.

Other reasons I wanted him to play select:

1) He's going to play with kids his age, his friends. I didn't want him to "always" play with kids a grade or two higher than him. Socially, it's important for him to be around kids his own age, and he was bored playing in rec leagues with kids his own age.

2) He wants to. He loves baseball. Wants to play it morning, noon and night. He just absolutely loves baseball and everyday I come home from work he's either hitting off a tee, throwing with the neighbor, or throwing to his "pitch back." in the side yard. If he's not doing something baseball related when I get home, I worry.

3) He wants to play baseball in high school, at least. There is no better preparation for high school baseball than select leagues. I don't care what anyone says, when you face tough competition, you get better. When you get a good coach that teaches you the proper mechanics and fundamentals, knows what they are talking about and loves coaching kids, they learn a lot and it better prepares them to be successful in high school.

4) I want him to be challenged so he doesn't get bored with the sport and either a) not try hard, get lazy, and not improve or b) give up the sport because he's bored with it.

There are some parents that want their kids to play select baseball because they don't want their kids "falling behind" other kids their age. They want them to play on the best teams. If the kids don't truly want it themselves, or aren't good enough to succeed on those teams, that's really a bad thing. No kid is going to get better by failing all of the time. Most of the kids that fall in that category get driven out of the sport, and fast.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 07-27-2007 at 10:09 AM.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Along the same lines, my 9 year old is involved it Tae Kwon Do. He earned his first degree black belt about a year ago. He is so-so at it, as his interest has waned. He has done a few tournaments. He did on in Danville, Illinois, and a few months later, one in New Albany, Indiana. Another kid's mom said she recognized us from Danville. We talked. She said they traveled all around the US for these tournaments. She said you had to, so you could get enough points foe the championship. and that private lessons were necessary and very important. I felt sorry for her kid.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    I understand where you are coming from. Let me just tell you a little about my background, and go from there.

I grew up in the city I live in now. I played "rec ball" until I was in 6th grade (had to, there were no other leagues). In the 6th grade, one of the parents proactively decided to form an "All-Star team" of all the kids in the rec league and enter that team in a local tournament. It was one of the best things I ever did. First time I saw a curve ball, was challenged at the plate, in the field, and had to really, really mentally stay in the game. I loved it. It made me a better player. 7th and 8th grade I played on our local catholic grade school 7th and 8th grade teams (CYO). We were undefeated both years and played in the CYO tourament. Again, another good experience. After our grade school seasons ended I played for the high school's summer league team (in 7th I played for the freshman summer league team, in 8th I played for the varsity summer league team). It was those experiences that made me a better baseball player and allowed me to make varsity as a freshman. I eventually went on to get a partial D1 scholarship for college.

My son has loved playing baseball since he could stand up. He begs me to play catch or throw him some pitches everyday (winter included). He started out in rec league t-ball when he was in pre-school, playing in a league with kindergartners. He played well. The next year, in kindergarten, he played coach pitch (with 1st and 2nd graders) and excelled in that league. He was one of the better fielders, throwers and hitters. In 1st grade he repeated the coach pitch level (with kid his own age-1st grade, and 2nd graders) and dominated. To the point I'd get dirty looks from opposing teams parents and overhear them say "he has no business playing in this league, it's just not fair," on the way out of the park. This past year (in 2nd grade) he played in a kid pitch/combo league with 3rd graders. Once again he dominated the competition to the tune of a .785 avg, 6 HR's, 11 2B's, and 36 RBI in 15 games. He also went 3-1 with a 1.65 ERA and 38 K in 18 IP on the mound. One of the coaches in the league approached me about having him play for the select team. The coach was a former asst. coach with our high school varsity baseball coach and coached with my former high school coach (who was the Ohio leader in W's until the Moeller coach just recently passed him) and the current high school coach. He is an excellent teacher of baseball. That's the most important thing in the world when it comes to youth athletics, coaching. A good coach will do wonders to improve the skills of young athletes. They'll make good athletes very good and excellent athletes even better.

So, the coach was one of my main reasons for wanting him to play in a select league. I want him to continue to get better, and he wants to continue getting better and having a good coach is the best way to accomplish that.

Other reasons I wanted him to play select:

1) He's going to play with kids his age, his friends. I didn't want him to "always" play with kids a grade or two higher than him. Socially, it's important for him to be around kids his own age, and he was bored playing in rec leagues with kids his own age.

2) He wants to. He loves baseball. Wants to play it morning, noon and night. He just absolutely loves baseball and everyday I come home from work he's either hitting off a tee, throwing with the neighbor, or throwing to his "pitch back." in the side yard. If he's not doing something baseball related when I get home, I worry.

3) He wants to play baseball in high school, at least. There is no better preparation for high school baseball than select leagues. I don't care what anyone says, when you face tough competition, you get better. When you get a good coach that teaches you the proper mechanics and fundamentals, knows what they are talking about and loves coaching kids, they learn a lot and it better prepares them to be successful in high school.

4) I want him to be challenged so he doesn't get bored with the sport and either a) not try hard, get lazy, and not improve or b) give up the sport because he's bored with it.

There are some parents that want their kids to play select baseball because they don't want their kids "falling behind" other kids their age. They want them to play on the best teams. If the kids don't truly want it themselves, or aren't good enough to succeed on those teams, that's really a bad thing. No kid is going to get better by failing all of the time. Most of the kids that fall in that category get driven out of the sport, and fast.
    I hear ya', RedLeader. Sounds like we have something in common, other than the Reds.

John Wooden

Turn Off Ads?