Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33

Thread: Ohio State is at it again.

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    1,835

    Re: Ohio State is at it again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Not saying it's not a great school, or a great town.

    What I'm saying is, this kid was born and raised in SoCal. He's listed UCLA and USC as the two schools that are his favorites for about 2 years now. I just think it's a little fishy that all of a sudden he declares OSU as his favorite. He's never even mentioned being interested in OSU before. If that doesn't seem odd to you, that's fine, but I've followed recruiting in a lot of sports and it doesn't seem normal to me that someone that has listed 2 schools as his favorites for years and no others suddenly changes his mind and lists a new favorite, especially one thousands of miles from home.
    OJ Mayo was born and raised in southwest Ohio/W. Va/KY and randomly decided to go to USC which really is not a basketball powerhouse. He cited Tim Floyd and wanting to get away from home as his reasons.

    He might have suddenly changed his mind because OSU has suddenly become a top caliber basketball school. Two years ago I don't think any OSU basketball fan would have thought we would appear in the National Title game. Also, I'm not 100% sure but I don't think we had any of the Oden/Conley/Cook crew committed then either. A lot can change in 2 yrs in the recruiting game and a school that was on probation because of the previous coach can come out, get a few recruits, and suddenly become a national power.

    I wish people would just give it a rest until something is actually proven about one of our current coaches. People just like to bash OSU because of their success and a lot of the fans cockiness. Thad has run a perfectly clean program in his 3 yrs in Columbus and is by all accounts a great recruiter and a great person.
    Last edited by Caseyfan21; 07-24-2007 at 03:38 PM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    Re: Ohio State is at it again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    Thad has run a perfectly clean program in his 3 yrs in Columbus and is by all accounts a great recruiter and a great person.
    And of course nothing untoward ever occurs at places like Kentucky, North Carolina, Oklahoma, UCLA, etc.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

  4. #18
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,077

    Re: Ohio State is at it again.

    Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Ohio State should only recruit no talent hacks from Ohio. Any other recruit would be stupid to attend that school. They must be cheating. Jim Tressel and Thad Matta are the devil. If they could only be as clean and wonderful as Kentucky, Michigan, West Virginia, Oklahoma, USC, etc...

    I just don't get why every time something decent happens at Ohio State, people must run and throw mud at them. Watch what happens if Terrell Pryor commits. People will be all over Ohio State. It will be a zoo.
    We feel that way about OSU for a number of reasons.

    1) Their fans feel that they are always the victim. Simply the most defensive group of people I've ever met. They think they aren't like Florida Sate, USC, and other big time programs.

    2) They think that everyone, including ESPN, hates them which is completely ludicrous. ESPN covers just as many if not more OSU games than anyone else, they also employ Herbstreit on their NATIONAL College FB show, and have Chris Speilman calling games.

    3) Because they have gotten in trouble in the past. Remember Maurice Clarett (which OSU skated away from w/o any sanctions), Troy Smith taking money, Damon Flint, Damon Stringer, Jamie Bosley, Jim O'Brien & Boban and that other 7'0 guy (can't remember his name). Trust me, I'm a Kentucky fan and know all about cheating.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  5. #19
    Puffy's Daddy Red Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Centerville, OH
    Posts
    20,422

    Re: Ohio State is at it again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    Two years ago I don't think any OSU basketball fan would have thought we would appear in the National Title game. Also, I'm not 100% sure but I don't think we had any of the Oden/Conley/Cook crew committed then either. A lot can change in 2 yrs in the recruiting game and a school that was on probation because of the previous coach can come out, get a few recruits, and suddenly become a national power.
    This is a very good point. It's possible that Sidney never mentioned OSU because he never thought that they were at the level of play of someone like UCLA that is close to home, and considered an "elite" basketball program. After seeing OSU reach the championship game, maybe that possibility opened up to him. That could logically explain why he never listed them before and now lists them as his favorite.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    I wish people would just give it a rest until something is actually proven about one of our current coaches. People just like to bash OSU because of their success and a lot of the fans cockiness. Thad has run a perfectly clean program in his 3 yrs in Columbus and is by all accounts a great recruiter and a great person.
    My apologies for the snarky post earlier in this thread. Really, it was unnecessary and I shouldn't have posted it. You're right, though, until something is proven, it's pretty stupid to throw accusations around. Ohio State is on an incredible run right now, both in football and basketball. Nothing should be surprising right now about what they do, or recruits that commit to that school, and until they are found guilty of wrong doing, people like me should probably just keep their mouth shut until that run is over.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

    Your Mom is happy.

  6. #20
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,418

    Re: Ohio State is at it again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    OJ Mayo was born and raised in southwest Ohio/W. Va/KY and randomly decided to go to USC which really is not a basketball powerhouse. He cited Tim Floyd and wanting to get away from home as his reasons.

    He might have suddenly changed his mind because OSU has suddenly become a top caliber basketball school. Two years ago I don't think any OSU basketball fan would have thought we would appear in the National Title game. Also, I'm not 100% sure but I don't think we had any of the Oden/Conley/Cook crew committed then either. A lot can change in 2 yrs in the recruiting game and a school that was on probation because of the previous coach can come out, get a few recruits, and suddenly become a national power.

    I wish people would just give it a rest until something is actually proven about one of our current coaches. People just like to bash OSU because of their success and a lot of the fans cockiness. Thad has run a perfectly clean program in his 3 yrs in Columbus and is by all accounts a great recruiter and a great person.
    I really agreed with that whole post until those last four words.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  7. #21
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,623

    Re: Ohio State is at it again.

    Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I just don't get why every time something decent happens at Ohio State, people must run and throw mud at them.
    Because I'm a Tulane fan and I want everyone to be as miserable as me.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  8. #22
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Ohio State is at it again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Not saying it's not a great school, or a great town.

    What I'm saying is, this kid was born and raised in SoCal. He's listed UCLA and USC as the two schools that are his favorites for about 2 years now. I just think it's a little fishy that all of a sudden he declares OSU as his favorite. He's never even mentioned being interested in OSU before. If that doesn't seem odd to you, that's fine, but I've followed recruiting in a lot of sports and it doesn't seem normal to me that someone that has listed 2 schools as his favorites for years and no others suddenly changes his mind and lists a new favorite, especially one thousands of miles from home.
    Where there's smoke, there's always fire.

    No one could look me in the face and tell me with absolute certainty that 100% of all Division I major sports programs are 100% squeaky clean. Football and basketball have the biggest bidding wars for major recruits, and it's a trickle down effect to top prep athletes in other sports as well.

    Boosters have way way way too much influence in where recruits enroll these days, and you have to be ridiculously naive to think that athletes aren't getting some sort of compensation to persuade them to attend certain schools. Sure, you're gonna have your "pure" kids that want to go to a program for the right reasons (academic potential, campus environment, a coach, prestige of the program, immediate playing time, location to home, etc), but those kids really are in the minority of all Division I athletes that play the big revenue generating sports.

    This isn't a bash on OSU, but rather an acknowledgement that they are in the majority with other "dirty" schools with big name sports programs.

    Do I like OSU? No.
    Do I think OSU runs clean programs? Absolutely not.

    Do I think they are the only school engaging in activities against the NCAA rules? Oh hell no. They are just one of many many many.

  9. #23
    Puffy's Daddy Red Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Centerville, OH
    Posts
    20,422

    Re: Ohio State is at it again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Where there's smoke, there's always fire.

    No one could look me in the face and tell me with absolute certainty that 100% of all Division I major sports programs are 100% squeaky clean. Football and basketball have the biggest bidding wars for major recruits, and it's a trickle down effect to top prep athletes in other sports as well.

    Boosters have way way way too much influence in where recruits enroll these days, and you have to be ridiculously naive to think that athletes aren't getting some sort of compensation to persuade them to attend certain schools. Sure, you're gonna have your "pure" kids that want to go to a program for the right reasons (academic potential, campus environment, a coach, prestige of the program, immediate playing time, location to home, etc), but those kids really are in the minority of all Division I athletes that play the big revenue generating sports.

    This isn't a bash on OSU, but rather an acknowledgement that they are in the majority with other "dirty" schools with big name sports programs.

    Do I like OSU? No.
    Do I think OSU runs clean programs? Absolutely not.

    Do I think they are the only school engaging in activities against the NCAA rules? Oh hell no. They are just one of many many many.
    I tend to believe what you say here. I think boosters have a great influence on a lot of recruits, and that's unfortunate. I really, really want to believe that all colleges are squeaky clean and legit, but I know that's just being extremely naive.

    What's not fair (and I admit it) is when schools are on a big-time run (as OSU football and basketball are) and are pulling in topped ranked recruits and people bash only that school for being able to land those recruits.

    Is OSU "dirtier" than any other prestigious D1 school? They could be, but I have no proof of that, and I doubt they are anyway.

    Do I think all school are dirty? Probably, but I don't have proof of that either.

    So, if all schools are just as "dirty" as OSU there's really no reason to single out and bash OSU for their successes, other than it's fun for a little while to see their fans get all riled up.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 07-25-2007 at 04:14 PM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

    Your Mom is happy.

  10. #24
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    Re: Ohio State is at it again.

    Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    1) Their fans feel that they are always the victim.
    I've never felt like that, and among the legions of OSU fans I know, none of them do, either.

    2) They think that everyone, including ESPN, hates them which is completely ludicrous.
    I would agree that is a ludicrous statement because, again, I've never known any OSU fan who feels that way. I don't like ESPN, but it's got nada to do with their Buckeye coverage.

    3) Because they have gotten in trouble in the past.
    So have half the division I schools.

    I get the nagging suspicion that people such as yourself don't necessarily *think* OSU has committed violations here insomuch as you *hope* they have. Just another reason to hate the school with the fans who think the world is against them, right?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

  11. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: Ohio State is at it again.

    A lot of the ESPN hate from OSU fans comes from the MC situation. ESPN came out with a "this is all true" attitude when many OSU fans felt there should have been more of a "these are the allegations" attitude. When MC was found to be mostly full of crap there wasn't much on the we went a little overboard cruifying OSU from ESPN.

    I don't really agree with that attitude but I think that's why many OSU fans have a bone to pick with them.

  12. #26
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,077

    Re: Ohio State is at it again.

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    A lot of the ESPN hate from OSU fans comes from the MC situation. ESPN came out with a "this is all true" attitude when many OSU fans felt there should have been more of a "these are the allegations" attitude. When MC was found to be mostly full of crap there wasn't much on the we went a little overboard cruifying OSU from ESPN.

    I don't really agree with that attitude but I think that's why many OSU fans have a bone to pick with them.
    I've been hearing the "ESPN hates OSU" talk for years, going back well into the Cooper days.

    As far as sanctions go, remember, it was in question whether OSU would be allowed to play in the NCAA's this past year, to the point the Thad's recruits had out-clauses. Also, I can recommend you a story about Tress at Youngstown State that might make you think differently. WE don't hope for it (I did go to school there for one year) , we just know its true.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1920867
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  13. #27
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: Ohio State is at it again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    OJ Mayo was born and raised in southwest Ohio/W. Va/KY and randomly decided to go to USC which really is not a basketball powerhouse. He cited Tim Floyd and wanting to get away from home as his reasons.

    He might have suddenly changed his mind because OSU has suddenly become a top caliber basketball school. Two years ago I don't think any OSU basketball fan would have thought we would appear in the National Title game. Also, I'm not 100% sure but I don't think we had any of the Oden/Conley/Cook crew committed then either. A lot can change in 2 yrs in the recruiting game and a school that was on probation because of the previous coach can come out, get a few recruits, and suddenly become a national power.

    I wish people would just give it a rest until something is actually proven about one of our current coaches. People just like to bash OSU because of their success and a lot of the fans cockiness. Thad has run a perfectly clean program in his 3 yrs in Columbus and is by all accounts a great recruiter and a great person.
    Funny you should mention OJ, he and another player went up against Sidney and another player in a 2 on 2 during one of the AAU tournaments and apparently Sidney as a sophomore dominated OJ.

    I'm with Red Leader though. Even though from all accounts I have read that Oden and Conley were both heavily followed by Matta in the eighth grade, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if something came out about how the Thad Five would be on par with the Fab Five. Of course, I know there is a lot of talk on Louisville and Kansas boards about Billy Gillispie and his recruiting style too.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  14. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    1,835

    Re: Ohio State is at it again.

    Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post

    As far as sanctions go, remember, it was in question whether OSU would be allowed to play in the NCAA's this past year, to the point the Thad's recruits had out-clauses.
    Remember that was left from the O'Brien years, that had absolutely nothing to do with Thad Matta's program.

  15. #29
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,077

    Re: Ohio State is at it again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    Remember that was left from the O'Brien years, that had absolutely nothing to do with Thad Matta's program.
    You're right, 100%. But, the last two coaches have had sanctions, which may mean that it might be more institutional than just coach based. Here's what worries me. And let me be clear about one thing. I LOVED the OSU basketball team this past year. It was the closest thing to following UK when I went to school there in 2002-03 (w/ Erik Daniels, Chuck Hayes, etc...). But, OSU went from getting one top 150 recruits each year to getting four or five. I know that coaches can make all the difference, and I sincerely hope that that is the cause. Also, I have no reason to believe that OSU did anything wrong, I have no proof, and I don't want anything bad to happen, but I'm also a realist who has followed OSU and UK through the years and have often found that when things seem too good to be true...

    Maybe here's the problem. The world of sports has let us all down so much lately, with steroids, gambling, recruiting violations, poor officiating, pathetic leadership, and deplorable off-the-field behavior. We now not only suspect the worst, but expect the other shoe to drop every time something good happens.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  16. #30
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,035

    Re: Ohio State is at it again.

    With the amount of money that collegiate athletics generates, I think it is not realistic for us sports fans to believe that any program is pristine. There is enormous pressure for teams to win, not matter who they are. When we're talking about billions of dollars, stuff happens. Either by the program and staff itself or by alumni and boosters.

    To varying degrees, programs try to be clean. For many programs, it is easier (not easy) for them because of expectations of alumni and history of the team. I think the higher powered the team (e.g. BCS football, NCAA Div. 1 hoops, etc.), the more pressure there is to win.

    If I were a coach who made millions of dollars a year and had my job threatened, my ethics would be sorely tempted to not cheat. Money can make people do funny things.

    I think OSU tries very hard to have clean programs. I think where a lot of problems occur is recruiting and boosters. That is a difficult thing for the university to have institutional controls over. Particularly when successful businessmen who are used to getting their way get involved.

    I admire what they did down at Vanderbilt and eliminated the athletic department because the distance between athlete and student was getting too great.

    Frankly, I'd prefer it if all athletic scholarships were eliminated and everyone did the NCAA Div. III thing of true student-athlete. But I'm not holding my breath for that to happen. Like I said, waaay too much money being made.

    Pay attention to the open sky


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25