Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 12 yr old girl dies from being hit in head with a softball

12 yr old girl dies from being hit in head with a softball

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/25/sof...ef=mpstoryview

Girl, 12, dies from softball head injury

GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan (AP) -- A 12-year-old softball player suffered a brain injury when she was hit in the head with a ball during practice, and died a day later, police and family said.
    Margaret Ruth "Maggie" Hilbrands was hit during a routine infield drill on Monday -- a day after the death of a minor-league baseball coach who was struck by a line drive in Arkansas.

The Grand Rapids girl died Tuesday at DeVos Children's Hospital.

"She missed the ball. It appears it hit her in the wrong spot. She never regained consciousness," her mother, Jan Hilbrands, told The Grand Rapids Press.

The ball struck her head, producing a brain injury that caused her heart to temporarily stop, police and family told the paper. Rescuers performed CPR at the scene.

The Kent County medical examiner's office planned to conduct an autopsy Thursday.

Maggie had been set to enter the seventh grade this fall at Grand Rapids Christian Middle School. She had been practicing with teammates on the Lowell Xtreme traveling softball team.

"The team is having a real hard time," her mother said. "This was kind of Maggie's first experience with the traveling team, but she really enjoyed it."

On Sunday, Mike Coolbaugh, a 35-year-old coach for the Double-A Tulsa Drillers, died after being struck by a line drive as he stood in the first-base coach's box during a game in Arkansas.

On Tuesday, Mark Malcolm, the coroner for Pulaski County, Arkansas, told the Tulsa World that Coolbaugh died from a loss of blood to the brain after the foul ball hit him on the left side of his neck, rupturing an artery.
    Coolbaugh was given CPR on the field, but Malcolm said there was nothing medical personnel could have done to save him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 12 yr old girl dies from being hit in head with a softball

It's amazing to me that more of this hasn't happened through the years. I know even just playing third base in high school, it was amazing sometimes that I was able to get my glove up to save my face from a wicked line drive. I predict that youth infielders will have to start wearing helmets within the next 5-7 years.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Re: 12 yr old girl dies from being hit in head with a softball

It really is amazing this kind of stuff doesn't happen all of the time with the improvements in bat technology, strength and conditioning, etc available to younger kids these days.

I remember my first practice in college. I was catching and one of our senior captains got up to the plate. He absolutely crushed an inside pitch and pulled it right towards the third baseman. I immediately yelled "LOOK OUT!" The guy playing 3B was another senior captain. He had his glove up and caught it like it was no big deal. That was the hardest hit ball I had ever seen up to that point. Like night and day when comparing it to high school ball. I was made fun of for yelling "LOOK OUT!" for several weeks.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?