Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ohio State is at it again.

Re: Ohio State is at it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Frankly, I'd prefer it if all athletic scholarships were eliminated and everyone did the NCAA Div. III thing of true student-athlete. But I'm not holding my breath for that to happen. Like I said, waaay too much money being made.
    I think you'll see athletes getting paid in college before that happens. The NCAA is making way too much money for anything to ever change. They claim to put the interests of the student athlete first but they are really only about making as much money as possible.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    No one could look me in the face and tell me with absolute certainty that 100% of all Division I major sports programs are 100% squeaky clean. Football and basketball have the biggest bidding wars for major recruits, and it's a trickle down effect to top prep athletes in other sports as well.

You're probably right. But there are different degrees of rules violations. Obviously paying players either directly or indirectly is a major violation. Fixing grades, Buying autos, getting the family jobs are also major violations. But there are violations that are so picayune you wouldn't believe that they are actual violations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    You're probably right. But there are different degrees of rules violations. Obviously paying players either directly or indirectly is a major violation. Fixing grades, Buying autos, getting the family jobs are also major violations. But there are violations that are so picayune you wouldn't believe that they are actual violations.
    Having been a Division I athlete at two separate schools, they hand you a small little book called the NCAA Compliance Manual. It's almost 1000 pages and makes a great door stop.

Some of the violations are amusing. For example, they section on attending team study sessions was my favorite. You couldn't attend consecutive study tables with the same teammate. I never understood that one.

I completely agree there are varying levels of transgressions and violations, and there should be. I don't think an athlete skipping a class should be handled in the same manner as an athlete getting paid for a job he or she never worked.

IMO, the worst job at any Division I school with any major sports teams is the NCAA Compliance Officer.

Turn Off Ads?