Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brad Kullman or Wayne Krivsky?

Brad Kullman or Wayne Krivsky?

Since it seems that Wayne catches a lot of flack around here, do you think Brad Kullman would've made a better GM (since he did interview for the position)? He made some really solid trades (acquiring Harang most notably).

The jury is still out for me on Wayne. Overall, I've been satisfied with the trades he's made (even if "the trade" didn't work out as expected). I've been somewhat underwhelmed with his drafts. However, how he handles this trade deadline and the bigger names (Griff & Dunn) is what will make or break his legacy in Cincinnati in my eyes.

Even though we don't know a ton about Kullman, would he have been a better fit?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brad Kullman or Wayne Krivsky?

I think there was a lack of trust in Kullman in the organization. IIRC, he kind of walked into a baseball ops job when one opened up. He wasn't working in baseball ops and wasn't much of a baseball guy, and it seemed the Reds went busch league and just hired the computer guy down the hall.

That being said, the Harang deal has saved the Reds some respectability, whether it was intentional or not. But honestly, I would choose WK. Although I don't think he manages the 25 man roster well, I think he handles the organization extremely well.

I liked Brad Kullman when he was the internim GM. I don't know a ton about him, but for the brief time he was the interim GM, I think he did a great job.

Also, IIRC, he was a co-GM with someone else, he didn't have the job to himself, so it's hard to say what that other person's involvement was.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Since it seems that Wayne catches a lot of flack around here, do you think Brad Kullman would've made a better GM (since he did interview for the position)? He made some really solid trades (acquiring Harang most notably).

The jury is still out for me on Wayne. Overall, I've been satisfied with the trades he's made (even if "the trade" didn't work out as expected). I've been somewhat underwhelmed with his drafts. However, how he handles this trade deadline and the bigger names (Griff & Dunn) is what will make or break his legacy in Cincinnati in my eyes.

The Harang trade that Kullman and Maddux pulled off trumps everything that Krivsky has done, thus far.
    Never overlook the obvious

at last look, we won "the trade"

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Kullman made some good trades under duress. There's a lot more to the job than that. We like what we know about, but IMO it's what we don't know that is the key to whether we'd like him better than Krivsky.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

He was never going to be the pick, IMO.

GL

How many big league players did Kullman trade that year? Wasn't it Williamson, Guillen, Boone, etc. I cant remember the reds but the reds traded a good deal and 4 years later they have one major leaguer to show for it. Granted the Harang trade was a great trade I just dont think that Kullman was that good of GM.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    He was never going to be the pick, IMO.

GL
    There was nothing else Brad could do. The decision had already been made IIRC. I saw an article earlier this year about Kullman. I'm not sure he is even in baseball anymore.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    The Harang trade that Kullman and Maddux pulled off trumps everything that Krivsky has done, thus far.
    Arroyo for WMP?

Phillips for nothing?

Hamilton for nothing?

The Harang trade was a great deal, but your statement was hyperbole.

Krivsky's critics have selective memories -- oh, I forgot ... those moves are just lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post

Kullman was disliked by some for his behavior--then again, who can be judged under the light of the Bowden reign-of-terror. I remember some posts detailing some incident where he treated another team's scout poorly.

I think the thing to remember about Krivsky is that he got Brandon Phillips, Josh Hamilton, and David Ross FOR VIRTUALLY NOTHING. That there is simply Krivsky's acumen adding value to the club. He also inherited a hideous baseball culture in Cincinnati, and those things take a while to turn around. Case in point, when the Reds obtain relief pitchers they almost always get worse. For my grade, I think Krivsky has proven himself a good GM in the category of trades, contracts, and improving the minors. I'm waiting to see how his drafts turn out and I want to see if he has the guts to hire a big name manager. That will mean he has to give up a little power, which GMs are loathe to do. It's nice Castellini will be involved, which might force Krivsky's hand.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Arroyo for WMP?

Phillips for nothing?

Hamilton for nothing?

Krivsky's critics have selective memories -- oh, I forgot ... those moves are just lucky.
    As the Cowboy would say...I stand by my statement, firmly.

#1 starting pitcher > 2nd baseman and outfielder. (Try trading Philips/Hamilton for Harang...)
    Never overlook the obvious

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Kullman was disliked by some for his behavior--then again, who can be judged under the light of the Bowden reign-of-terror. I remember some posts detailing some incident where he treated another team's scout poorly.

I think the thing to remember about Krivsky is that he got Brandon Phillips, Josh Hamilton, and David Ross FOR VIRTUALLY NOTHING. That there is simply Krivsky's acumen adding value to the club. He also inherited a hideous baseball culture in Cincinnati, and those things take a while to turn around. Case in point, when the Reds obtain relief pitchers they almost always get worse. For my grade, I think Krivsky has proven himself a good GM in the category of trades, contracts, and improving the minors. I'm waiting to see how his drafts turn out and I want to see if he has the guts to hire a big name manager. That will mean he has to give up a little power, which GMs are loathe to do. It's nice Castellini will be involved, which might force Krivsky's hand.
    Krivsky's Jim Bowden with slightly better impulse control. I like to hang out with guys who find cool things in junk shops, too; but they're the last kind of people I'm going to consult on a mortgage.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Arroyo for WMP?

Phillips for nothing?

Hamilton for nothing?

Don't forget, he got rid of Kearns and Lopez who would have commanded huge dollars and based on their subsequent performances, would have been a huge and un-tradeable waste of resources. That money saved, if they can trade Dunn and Griffey, would put the Reds in the most financially flexible position in the league (except for possibly Philadelphia).

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    As the Cowboy would say...I stand by my statement, firmly.

#1 starting pitcher > 2nd baseman and outfielder. (Try trading Philips/Hamilton for Harang...)
    It all depends on the needs of a club, contracts, and who's available on the market. A weak hitting, pitching rich club would trade Harang for Phillips, especially since you don't have to pay Brandon nearly as much. Phillips is the best second baseman in the league next to Utley, and could overtake him next year.

Turn Off Ads?