Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biggio to Announce Retirement

Hybrid View

Biggio to Announce Retirement

Just heard this on the radio as I was at lunch. Presser in about an hour.

Let me just say that while I never rooted for the opposition, watching Biggio and Bagwell all those years in Houston was nice as a baseball fan.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Re: Biggio to Announce Retirement

Effective immediately or after the season?

For his sake, I hope it's immediately. He's not doing his team or his legacy any favors hanging around playing as poorly as he is at this moment.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post

For his sake, I hope it's immediately. He's not doing his team or his legacy any favors hanging around playing as poorly as he is at this moment.

I just read the article and it's after the season.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I see your point, but I bet the Astros are glad his restirement wasn't effective immediately. Biggio hit a grand slam last night, which produced the GWRBI. He'll probably go 0-fer the rest of the week now, but that was poignant, as was Milo Hamilton's call of it.

If he retired now it would look like he was just hanging around for #3,000 - which he was but doing it effective after the season makes it look much better. Plus he can get a lot of lovely parting gifts.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

One of the five greatest second basemen in the history of the game, IMO.

I hated watching the Astros beat the Reds, but I loved watching Craig Biggio play. Biggio's 1997 season itself is one of the greatest and most underrated and underappreciated seasons of this generation.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    One of the five greatest second basemen in the history of the game, IMO.

I hated watching the Astros beat the Reds, but I loved watching Craig Biggio play. Biggio's 1997 season itself is one of the greatest and most underrated and underappreciated seasons of this generation.
    He was a good ball player but in his prime he wasn't even in the top 2. I would take both Alamor and Kent over Biggio any day.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    He was a good ball player but in his prime he wasn't even in the top 2. I would take both Alamor and Kent over Biggio any day.

Unless your going for team wins.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Unless your going for team wins.
    huh?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I wouldn't. Biggio in his prime was better than Alomar or Kent, and his career has better, too. Other than having a greater peak value than Alomar and Kent, and a greater career value than Alomar and Kent, Biggio was inferior to them.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Biggio is a sure-fire HOF'er at 2B.

He's still hitting lefties very well this season (318/.351/.489) and he's only 3 HBPs away from the all-time record. I say the Reds should help him break that record the next time they face the Astros. C'mon, Craig, lean into a couple more for the record books.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Biggio is a sure-fire HOF'er at 2B.

He's still hitting lefties very well this season (318/.351/.489) and he's only 3 HBPs away from the all-time record. I say the Reds should help him break that record the next time they face the Astros. C'mon, Craig, lean into a couple more for the record books.
    My bet is he never once was denied 1st base because he didn't try to get out of the way. That's a rule I've never seen enforced

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    My bet is he never once was denied 1st base because he didn't try to get out of the way. That's a rule I've never seen enforced
    Never a fan of the armor either.

Still, great player
    Go Gators!

he did once a few years ago, and got ejected arguing with the the ump after the AB, which i believe ended in strikeout.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

It was enforced once in 1968. Don Drysdale was in the midst of his then record 56+ scoreless inning streak when he hit a Giant batter with the bases loaded. The home plate umpire refused to allow the Giant to take first base, ruling that he had not tried to get out of the way of the pitch. At the time, many thought the umpire made that ruling just to preserve Drysdale's streak.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?