Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Biggio to Announce Retirement

Re: Biggio to Announce Retirement

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    My bet is he never once was denied 1st base because he didn't try to get out of the way. That's a rule I've never seen enforced
    he did once a few years ago, and got ejected arguing with the the ump after the AB, which i believe ended in strikeout.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Effective immediately or after the season?

For his sake, I hope it's immediately. He's not doing his team or his legacy any favors hanging around playing as poorly as he is at this moment.
    I see your point, but I bet the Astros are glad his restirement wasn't effective immediately. Biggio hit a grand slam last night, which produced the GWRBI. He'll probably go 0-fer the rest of the week now, but that was poignant, as was Milo Hamilton's call of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    My bet is he never once was denied 1st base because he didn't try to get out of the way. That's a rule I've never seen enforced
    It was enforced once in 1968. Don Drysdale was in the midst of his then record 56+ scoreless inning streak when he hit a Giant batter with the bases loaded. The home plate umpire refused to allow the Giant to take first base, ruling that he had not tried to get out of the way of the pitch. At the time, many thought the umpire made that ruling just to preserve Drysdale's streak.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    It was enforced once in 1968. Don Drysdale was in the midst of his then record 56+ scoreless inning streak when he hit a Giant batter with the bases loaded. The home plate umpire refused to allow the Giant to take first base, ruling that he had not tried to get out of the way of the pitch. At the time, many thought the umpire made that ruling just to preserve Drysdale's streak.

Dick Dietz, I believe.

Man, did that start an argument. But he absolutely did lean into the pitch, and made no effort to get out of the way.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Dick Dietz, I believe.

Man, did that start an argument. But he absolutely did lean into the pitch, and made no effort to get out of the way.
    I believe that you are correct.
    When I was ten years old, I was a lousy hitter while playing Little League. I used to hope to get hit by the pitch, and I never made any effort to get out of the way.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    For his sake, I hope it's immediately. He's not doing his team or his legacy any favors hanging around playing as poorly as he is at this moment.

If he retired now it would look like he was just hanging around for #3,000 - which he was but doing it effective after the season makes it look much better. Plus he can get a lot of lovely parting gifts.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

http://blogs.chron.com/lopezblog/arc..._to_don_c.html

I thought this was kind of cool. Apparently Roy Oswalt has asked Biggio to be his catcher in Stros' final home series this year against the Braves. Biggio agreed, but only if the Braves aren't in a tight race for the NL East.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    It reminds of an anecdote I read as a kid about Rabbit Maranville. When he was on the 1914 Miracle Braves, in a critical bases-loaded situation he leaned out over the plate and let a pitch smack him right in the head. It was the deadball era, but still. While he was laying there dazed, the ump told him "If you can get up right now and walk to first base, I'll let you get away with it." He did.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    http://blogs.chron.com/lopezblog/arc..._to_don_c.html

I thought this was kind of cool. Apparently Roy Oswalt has asked Biggio to be his catcher in Stros' final home series this year against the Braves. Biggio agreed, but only if the Braves aren't in a tight race for the NL East.
    His answer is extremely classy.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?