Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Selig to attend games at AT&T Park

Selig to attend games at AT&T Park

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

SAN FRANCISCO -- Commissioner Bud Selig will be at AT&T Park on Tuesday night for Barry Bonds' 43rd birthday bash as the Giants slugger continues his quest to pass Hank Aaron on Major League Baseball's all-time home run list. Selig also now says that he will make every effort to be in attendance when Bonds breaks the record.

Selig expects to be at the ballpark for the remainder of the Atlanta-San Francisco series, which runs through Thursday, then he must head to Cooperstown, N.Y., for Hall of Fame Induction Weekend. Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken Jr. are being inducted on Sunday, and the Commissioner always presides over the ceremony and reads the inscription on inductees' plaques.

"Throughout this season, I have watched Barry Bonds' pursuit of the home run record," Selig said. "Now that he is on the verge of tying the record, the time has come to announce that I will make every attempt to attend the record-setting moment.

"Out of respect for the tradition of this game, the magnitude of the record, and the fact that all citizens in this country are innocent until proven guilty, I will attend Barry Bonds' next games to observe his potential tying and breaking of the home run record, subject to my commitments to the Hall of Fame this weekend. I will make an additional statement when the record is tied."

Selig, who was in Milwaukee for the Giants' three-game series against the Brewers this past weekend, said that he would have a statement about whether he intended to attend the record-breaker soon after Sunday's game. Tuesday's statement ends months of controversy surrounding the mystery of whether Selig would be there or not.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Selig to attend games at AT&T Park

Everyone says Barry is "innocent until proven guilty."

Okay, but didn't he admit to using steroids, albeit "unknowingly"? We've got an admission of unintentional cheating out there, not unlike the ones issued by every user of a corked bat from Sammy Sosa (oops, that's not my gamer) to Chris Sabo (uh, that's Hal Morris' bat). Corkers get suspended and fined. Roiders get…nothing?
    Makes all the routine posts.

I won't be watching when it happens. Barry doesn't even deserve the time it took me to write this post.

Sure he's still technically innocent, but forest fires produce less smoke than Barry has.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Well, why shouldn't Bud attend the games? After all he and his fellow owners looked the other way while these players shot themselves up with steroids. He was at the very least ignorant and at the most compliant.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2 View Post

"Out of respect for the tradition of this game, the magnitude of the record, and the fact that all citizens in this country are innocent until proven guilty, I will attend Barry Bonds' next games to observe his potential tying and breaking of the home run record, subject to my commitments to the Hall of Fame this weekend. I will make an additional statement when the record is tied."
    Weasel words if I've ever heard them. Bud stands with both feet firmly on either side of the fence.

What a joyless occasion. I'd throw the ball back if I caught it.

Pay attention to the open sky

I dont get why the Commish is supposed to attend? Is there an "enormity" statute that dictate when the commissioner is to attend a record being broken or not?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    I dont get why the Commish is supposed to attend? Is there an "enormity" statute that dictate when the commissioner is to attend a record being broken or not?
    If he doesn't, chances are good that he'll get flak from Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. Those guys will fan the flames for a couple of weeks of ugly PR. About the only way Bud can come out ahead here is if the record gets tied and broken while he's "busy" in Cooperstown. Then he can issue his news release from there and avoid having to participate in whatever is planned.

I wish he'd go ahead and issue his news release now.

"On behalf of MLB, congratulations to Barry Bonds on breaking the home run record at ____ (Park/Stadium). This is truly the highlight of a long career. Again, congratulations."

Last edited by Unassisted; 07-25-2007 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    If he doesn't, chances are good that he'll get flak from Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. Those guys will fan the flames for a couple of weeks of ugly PR. About the only way Bud can come out ahead here is if the record gets tied and broken while he's "busy" in Cooperstown. Then he can issue his news release from there and avoid having to participate in whatever is planned.

I wish he'd issue go ahead and issue his news release now.

"On behalf of MLB, congratulations to Barry Bonds on breaking the home run record at ____ (Park/Stadium). This is truly the highlight of a long career. Again, congratulations."

I never once took his not being there about race. Only race pimps would.

I took it as an indictment of Selig's opinions on Bonds character. But what do I know?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Not me -- I'd sell the damn thing to the highest bidder. Thats the strongest statement I can make about how little the record means to me.

By comparison, if I caught Jr.'s 600th home run ball, I'd offer it back to him no questions asked and nothing asked for in return.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Not me -- I'd sell the damn thing to the highest bidder. Thats the strongest statement I can make about how little the record means to me.

By comparison, if I caught Jr.'s 600th home run ball, I'd offer it back to him no questions asked and nothing asked for in return.
    Not me. I would do that same for Bonds as you would for Griffey, only first I would wipe a few boogs on it and let my dog pee all over it.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    I never once took his not being there about race. Only race pimps would.
    It's not, but I strongly suspect it will get painted that way.

I took it as an indictment of Selig's opinions on Bonds character. But what do I know?
    I heard a radio interview with a reporter who witnessed Bud holding court with a group of reporters in a remote corner of the AT&T Park press box yesterday. The reporter said he looked like he'd rather be anywhere else. He took a few questions from the reporters there, including one with a telling answer, where he refused to talk about how he and his close friend Hank Aaron view the heir-apparent to the HR record. He declared his discussions with Aaron to be a topic that was off limits and too "personal" to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

I'd have a little bonfire right in the stands
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

If you were in San Francisco you could throw it far into the Bay. That'd be kind of awesome.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Roiders get…nothing?
    Baseball now has a small underclass of players—real players, not anonymous minor leaguers or fringe guys—who have tested positive for performance-enhancing substances, been suspended for that use, and returned to play. In virtually every case, those players go about their business without anyone caring. They’re cheered at home for their good deeds, and ignored on the road. The Indians benefit from the bullpen work of Rafael Betancourt, by far their best reliever this season, and a big reason for their contending status. He’s not reviled in Detroit or Minnesota as a steroid user, not booed and forced to endure the taunts of “Cheater!” or worse. No one cares. The same can be said for Juan Rincon, who is essentially the Twins’ version of Betancourt.

Need more evidence that the game is more than willing to forgive and forget? Ryan Franklin tested positive in 2005, serving a 10-game suspension for his guilt. Last month, the Cardinals signed him to a two-year contract worth $5 million. Last winter, the Mets' Guillermo Mota was suspended for the first 50 games of 2007 off a positive test; a month later, the Mets signed him to a two-year contract for, again, $5 million.

Add it up, and baseball has lavished more than $30 million on players who have been found guilty of steroid use after their use has come to light. These players don’t occupy some gray area, don’t inspire “did he or didn’t he?” discussions on sports radio or the talking-head TV shows. They cheated, they got caught, served their penalties, and went on to earn millions playing baseball without being held up as examples of all that is wrong with America.
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=6497

I might add that the $30M quote is for players currently on the twenty-five man rosters of Major League teams and does not include players who have failed the performance enhancing drug tests at the minor league level. The above excerpt is from a really interesting article from Joe Sheehan today over at BP. He talks about Frick, Marris, Selig, Bonds, and Ruth. Anyone with a sub to BP should go check out the article. The truth is, I don't know why I bolded that section of the article in my first post last night. It just struck me as something strange for the Commissioner to say; and for all the animosity he brings for some people (some very intelligent people too, I might add), I think he's done a good job as the commissioner. Except for maybe his handling of whole Bonds' HR chase that is. While I'm incapable of explaining why I bolded that section last night, Joe Sheehan does a very nice job of putting into words why it stuck out to me.

I really have to nothing to add to the love fest that is Barry Bonds on this thread, I will say this. If I caught the tying or record breaking HR balls, I'd donate them to HOF. If I caught 754, I'd sell it at some point because I'm a money grubbing you know what that could use the cash. If I caught Jr. Griffey's 600 HR ball, I'd tell him he could have it for two each of autographed and game worn jerseys by both him and Dunn. Then I'd tell him that if he wasn't agreeable to that, I would sell the ball and donate all the money to cancer research. It would be his choice. BTW, I'd keep one each of the jerseys and sell the other two because, well you know, I'm all about the cash.
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

--Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    If you were in San Francisco you could throw it far into the Bay. That'd be kind of awesome.
    Unless he hits it to left field. I guess you could toss it into the players parking lot then.

Turn Off Ads?