Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Bruce staying in AAA?

Re: Is Bruce staying in AAA?

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    The thing is, you can't really "rush" a position player. They are just going to face tougher pitching, and Bruce has done extremely well so far, and could be ready for the bigs.
    Do you think either Kearns or Dunn might have been rushed; both of them came to the majors very quickly. I will always wonder if their fast ascent to the majors affected their future in the majors.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thank God Steves Gone

You either have it or you dont, Josh Hamilton proves that.. A stud like The Boss, can hit at any level, a pitcher is different you just cant throw them to the sharks they have to have their progressions.. Bruce and Votto need to be on the roster esp if Dunn or Griff gets traded..

You have your points. I am sure Bruce is a player who can succeed at any level he plays at. The same can be said of any true five-tool player.However, that may not be true of all position players. I am sure there is a chance Kearns and Dunn' development might have been affected by their quick movement through the minors. I just am a cautious sort by nature(most of the time), and I want to make sure Bruce isn't rushed
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 07-27-2007 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Response to The Cowboy

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Both of those guys had injuries. They didnt just not perform. Big difference in getting hurt and just sucking.
    Yeah I know they were both hurt. Regarding the question of whether either of them was ever going to be good IMO... Howington, maybe. Gruler was just a god-awful pick. No. 3 of the draft with those credentials? Terrible. And really fit perfectly in line with the rest of our drafts under Bowden.

Basically, the Reds drafted Gruler knowing they could sign him. Nevermind he wasn't qualified. And even though they signed him for a little bit under market value for the No. 3 pick, it was WAY overvalue for Chris Gruler.

And I still think they mishandled Howington. Or didn't do enough homework before they drafted him. A kid doesn't just completely break down that fast without a previous injury, or with some mishandling by the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Do you think either Kearns or Dunn might have been rushed; both of them came to the majors very quickly. I will always wonder if their fast ascent to the majors affected their future in the majors.
    I don't think so.
    Kearns was affected by injuries. They actually started in AA.

I don't see how Adam Dunn would have had a BETTER major league career if he had stayed in the minors. He's clearly not going to change and he was a pretty valuable 21 year old.

Now...you can argue that the reds would have been better served keeping this guys in the minors in order to extract more value from the time the reds had salary control over them, but that's a different question. Bringing them up was still the right thing to do.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Yeah I know they were both hurt. Regarding the question of whether either of them was ever going to be good IMO... Howington, maybe. Gruler was just a god-awful pick. No. 3 of the draft with those credentials? Terrible. And really fit perfectly in line with the rest of our drafts under Bowden.

Basically, the Reds drafted Gruler knowing they could sign him. Nevermind he wasn't qualified. And even though they signed him for a little bit under market value for the No. 3 pick, it was WAY overvalue for Chris Gruler.

And I still think they mishandled Howington. Or didn't do enough homework before they drafted him. A kid doesn't just completely break down that fast without a previous injury, or with some mishandling by the organization.
    Gruler was a stud before he got hurt. They got burned by a high school arm, they weren't the first and won't be the last, but Gruler had something special in that arm before he got hurt.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?