Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Bruce staying in AAA?

Re: Is Bruce staying in AAA?

The way the Reds are playing, he will be brought up to the big club ASAP. Something for the fans to get excited about. I do not agree with this, but i bet it is what happens.
    Reds fan since 1970

2. Turn Off Ads?

If they trade Dunn or Hamilton is out for a while I bet they will call him up.

No way he gets sent down at this point. Just no chance.

What really amazes me is that none of us, not even OBM or doug dirt projected Bruce anywhere near Cincinnati until 2009, at the beginning of the season.

What an amazing talent this kid is and I can't wait to see him in the Bigs come next season

look for a Sept call up just to get his feet wet
    Reds fan since 1970

I am going to the Bats game Saturday night and am looking forward to seeing Bruce and Votto play.

KeyMastur

i think it's amazing how you guys think. Bruce was brought up on temp. basis until Wise returned from the DL. but, he's still injured AND there is still some injuries up top preventing any trickle down effect until someone gets healthy. Wise came off the DL but wasn't ready, and it showed in his running (watched the game vs. PawSox when he returned). His hamstring was still bothering him and he went back on the DL 2 days later. But Bruce is in AAA....for now....and with the roster shortage at AAA he probably will stay here. Will he get the call ?? Probably not this year....sorry boys.
    Last edited by KeyMastur; 07-26-2007 at 11:11 AM.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Bruce launched a three-run homer in Scott Williamson's Yankees system debut last night. That's four of 'em in 13 AAA games.

He did whiff twice against Joba Chamberlain, though.

KeyMastur

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Bruce launched a three-run homer in Scott Williamson's Yankees system debut last night. That's four of 'em in 13 AAA games.

He did whiff twice against Joba Chamberlain, though.
    Yes it was off a 3-1 fastball to the opposite field.

He's striking out mainly due to the fact that he's swinging at bad pitches.

Unless I'm looking at the numbers wrong, his K rate isn't any higher in Louisville than it was in Chattanooga or Sarasota.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Its not. Its about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Its not. Its about the same.
    Thanks for confirming Doug. I can't see how they can send him down at this point when he's sporting an OPS of .984. Of course he's only got 49 plate appearances so his numbers can change drastically.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I've said it before. If we had a reserve clause, Jay Bruce would be with the REDS.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Tim Evearitt of The Chattanoogan wrote an article on this subject today

Will Jay Bruce Return To The Chattanooga Lookouts?
    by Tim Evearitt
    posted July 26, 2007

Many Lookouts fans were looking forward to watching Jay Bruce spend the second half of the season playing for the Chattanooga Lookouts.

However, after just 16 games as a member of Chattanooga's team, Bruce was moved to Triple-A Louisville - ostensibly to take the place of Dewayne Wise, who went to the disabled list. Lookouts manager Jayhawk Owens said he expected to see the 20-year phenom back after about a week. Owens qualified his comments noting that Bruce could earn a stay.

It appears more and more likely that we have seen the last of Mr. Bruce. Wednesday he hit his fourth home run for the Bats and is hitting a respectable .267. Wise remains on the DL.

Bruce has had 45 at bats in 13 games for Louisville. Along with the four homers, he has a double, two triples, and driven in nine runs.

While playing here, he had 22 hits in 66 plate appearances that included seven doubles, a triple, four homers, and 15 RBI.

If the young outfielder doesn't return, we are saddened but our loss is Louisville's gain since Bruce, whenever he arrives, is expected to be an impact player in the Major Leagues.

This is what Baseball America says of the one they rate second among the top-ten Cincinnati Reds prospects:

"Bruce quickly has established himself as the best hitting prospect in the system and one of the best in the minors. He has quick hands and a smooth swing path that allow him to keep the bat in the strike zone for quite a while. Scouts were impressed that he could turn on 95-mph fastballs with his plus bat speed, and he also knows how to go the other way if pitchers try to work the outside corner.

He projects to be an above-average hitter with above-average power. His two-strike approach is also impressive.

In the outfield, Bruce gets good jumps to go with his slightly above-average speed. He can handle center field, though most scouts expect he'll end up as a strong-armed right fielder once he fills out. He's also a gamer who enjoys coming to the ballpark every day."
    http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_110635.asp

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

That might have been a preemptive move on the Reds’ part to say that Bruce was coming up just for a few weeks to replace Wise. The perfect built in excuse if he struggled and they needed to send him back (“He wasn’t ready anyway; we only called him up out of necessity.” Yadda yadda.) Then if he plays well – which he is – you leave him up there. No risk of hurting his confidence.

And no, there’s no doubt you leave him up at AAA for the rest of the year. What a year for Bruce. He was very good at single-A Dayton last year, but has played even better this year against much better competition. From now on, if we ever take a high school player in the first round of the draft, they have to be from Texas. Haha. Nah, I liked the Mesoraco pick very much this year, but you can’t beat getting Bailey and Bruce in back to back years. That is very un-Reds like for the draft. Chris Gruler and Ty Howington could not be reached for comment.

Both of those guys had injuries. They didnt just not perform. Big difference in getting hurt and just sucking.

Turn Off Ads?