Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so, let me get this straigh

so, let me get this straigh

Reds aren't moving Griffey, per Jayson Stark's ESPN chat today, Conine may be moved, but he's under the impression the Reds don't want to move Hatteberg, the asking price for Dunn is way too high, and now the Reds don't want to move Weathers because they consider his salary for next season a bargain. Add to that, Saarloos is sent down, without Bray or Majewski getting the call. Instead, it's Santos. I'm typing this in my work truck, and people are really gonna start to think that I may have lice, because I'm scratching the heck out of my head right now.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Roster glue

Re: so, let me get this straigh

Standing pat at the deadline is a surefire way for WK to earn himself a pink slip...at least he will not have done irreparable damage to the franchise by trading Dunn for, say, Kevin Frandsen, Vinny Chulk, and Brad Hennessey.

The Reds shouldn't trade Griffey or Dunn unless they get a great deal -- maybe like the awesome haul the Rangers are rumored to be getting from the Braves for Teixiera.

I think Conine and Hatteberg will be traded, Hatteberg probably this week.

Weathers could be traded for a really good offer, but since he is the only reliable reliever the Reds have and he is under contract cheaply for next year the Reds would be happy to keep him.

Saarloos is a terrible pitcher and Santos isn't as bad.

Bray and Majewski just aren't good enough to pitch in the major leagues -- not even for the Reds. Majewski is 27 years old and is not a "prospect" -- it is now or never for him. Throughout his career he has not displayed good stuff. He strikes out too few batters and walks way too many to ever be considered a good pitcher. He may be decent at times but he is not the answer to our problems. Bray is a better prospect, but he hasn't shown much in his career either. His ratios are poor and he is very hittable. His injury is not the reason he is in the minors. He just hasn't earned a call-up yet.

The move Wayne will make.....Walt Jocketty!!! Thank you Wayne for not making any moves and making it easier for the Reds to tab Walt Jocketty the new GM. Best post All-Star move made!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post

Saarloos is a terrible pitcher and Santos isn't as bad.

But still terrible.

Bray and Majewski just aren't good enough to pitch in the major leagues -- not even for the Reds. Majewski is 27 years old and is not a "prospect" -- it is now or never for him. Throughout his career he has not displayed good stuff. He strikes out too few batters and walks way too many to ever be considered a good pitcher. He may be decent at times but he is not the answer to our problems. Bray is a better prospect, but he hasn't shown much in his career either. His ratios are poor and he is very hittable. His injury is not the reason he is in the minors. He just hasn't earned a call-up yet.
    I think you are way off on Bray. Bray was the key to the trade last year. He is young and has the stuff to be a backend bullpen pitcher in the bigs. He was also pretty good for us last year after the trade. If his injury is not the reason he is still in the minors, the reason is Krivski is a moron. This guy is probably the most talented relief pitcher we have in the organization.

Id trade everyone over the age of 35.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggerd View Post
    Id trade everyone over the age of 35.

......you put the lime in the coconut and drink them both together?

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    The Reds shouldn't trade Griffey or Dunn unless they get a great deal -- maybe like the awesome haul the Rangers are rumored to be getting from the Braves for Teixiera.

One problem with expecting that kind of deal for Dunn.....Dunn isn't half the player that Teixeira is. Sorry, that's gonna hurt feelings, but it's true. Teixeira plays gold glove caliber defense, has nearly as much power as Dunn, drives in more runs than Dunn, and hits for a much better average than Dunn.....Oh, and he still has a year left on his contract.

As far as Griffey goes, he's not going to help this team in 09, which in reality, is probably the soonest this team is going to be a legitimate contender.

I actually like keeping Hatteburg. He is a veteran leader who plays the game right. I think you bring Votto up and let Votto learn while splitting time with Hatteberg next year. Then eventually put Votto in everyday, while Hatteberg can be a great LH bat off of the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by pokeyfan View Post
    I actually like keeping Hatteburg. He is a veteran leader who plays the game right. I think you bring Votto up and let Votto learn while splitting time with Hatteberg next year. Then eventually put Votto in everyday, while Hatteberg can be a great LH bat off of the bench.
    Votto has been MLB ready since about 2 weeks into the season. Him splitting time next year kinda annoys me. Bring him up split the time now and let him start every game next year. There is no excuse for the reds to keep him in triple A

I agree we need Votto now.....as far as the rest of the trades, Cast may have told wk not to deal anyone...which may mean he is on the way out...but who knows
    Reds fan since 1970

Some of you guys are nuts. Why trade guys JUST to trade guys? I wouldn't care if we stood pat at the line. The guy that makes sense to trade is Hatteberg only because of Votto. Lohse will probably be moved as well, but I'd really be surprised if anyone else was traded.

Putting out these kinds of press releases is part of the game. You don't want to go out there trying to trade guys by saying, "Look, we're having a fire sale. We want to trade X,Y,Z, and Q." That's trading from weakness and will always get you a bad return. The only way to trade is from the strong position--that is, by letting people know you don't really have to--then you can actually get something of value. This is why, IMHO, Wayne K was able to get Arroyo after Dan O had been able to unload Casey. The Sox knew we were no longer under the same compulsion to make a deal with one of the five players we had for four spots--Casey, Griffey, Dunn, Kearns, Pena.

Turn Off Ads?