Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 256

Thread: Adam Dunn is #225 with 225 career home runs...

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,040

    Re: Adam Dunn is #225 with 225 career home runs...

    Sweet hes #225 lets sign him to a 10 year deal worth 20 million a year. Hell id much rather have him than a pitcher. If you ask me who would you rather have Zambrano or Adam Dunn.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    904

    Re: Adam Dunn is #225 with 225 career home runs...

    We need alot more than a pitcher to right this ship... again for the millionth time, you need to score runs in GABP...you need someone like DUNN !!
    Reds fan since 1970

  4. #18
    KungFu Fighter AtomicDumpling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hamilton, OH
    Posts
    2,740

    Re: Adam Dunn is #225 with 225 career home runs...

    Quote Originally Posted by Muggerd View Post
    Sweet hes #225 lets sign him to a 10 year deal worth 20 million a year. Hell id much rather have him than a pitcher. If you ask me who would you rather have Zambrano or Adam Dunn.
    I would take both.

    Zambrano could get a $100 million contract this offseason (unless he takes less to stay with the Cubs). Dunn will get about $60 million after this season or after next if the Reds pick up his option. So its not really a "take your pick" scenario.

    Generally, signing young hitters to a long-term contract is a much safer bet than signing pitchers to a long-term contract. With a pitcher his next pitch could be his last. Hitters are much less likely to have an injury that puts them out of action for months or years.

    The Reds strategy needs to be to outscore the number of runs our pitchers allow. We know our pitching staff is going to allow a ton of runs, so we better have an offense that scores more than a ton of runs.

    Signing one stud starting pitcher helps us in about 10% of the team's innings and leaves us helpless in 90%. Signing Dunn (or another stud left fielder) helps us in every one of our games. Bringing in a Zambrano will only improve this team a little. We need to upgrade about eight or nine of our 12 pitchers before this staff will be competitive.

    Right now the only thing this team does well is score runs. We can't afford to mess that up in a weak effort to patch up our pitching staff. Ditching Dunn in order to spend his salary on pitching will serve merely to cripple our offense while only slightly improving our pitching.

  5. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,040

    Re: Adam Dunn is #225 with 225 career home runs...

    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I would take both.

    Zambrano could get a $100 million contract this offseason (unless he takes less to stay with the Cubs). Dunn will get about $60 million after this season or after next if the Reds pick up his option. So its not really a "take your pick" scenario.

    Generally, signing young hitters to a long-term contract is a much safer bet than signing pitchers to a long-term contract. With a pitcher his next pitch could be his last. Hitters are much less likely to have an injury that puts them out of action for months or years.

    The Reds strategy needs to be to outscore the number of runs our pitchers allow. We know our pitching staff is going to allow a ton of runs, so we better have an offense that scores more than a ton of runs.

    Signing one stud starting pitcher helps us in about 10% of the team's innings and leaves us helpless in 90%. Signing Dunn (or another stud left fielder) helps us in every one of our games. Bringing in a Zambrano will only improve this team a little. We need to upgrade about eight or nine of our 12 pitchers before this staff will be competitive.

    Right now the only thing this team does well is score runs. We can't afford to mess that up in a weak effort to patch up our pitching staff. Ditching Dunn in order to spend his salary on pitching will serve merely to cripple our offense while only slightly improving our pitching.
    Home Runs = wins
    Some how Aaron Harang has won 10 games with this ___ bullpen. Its pretty clear that good pitching can pitch in GABP its just the ___ ones get rocked.

    Reds have problems scoring runs consistently. I blame that on strike outs and a low BA. The out scoring how many runs our pitching gives up hasnt worked ever, and im pretty sure its never worked for any other team either.

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,040

    Re: Adam Dunn is #225 with 225 career home runs...

    .
    Last edited by Muggerd; 07-25-2007 at 09:25 PM.

  7. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,040

    Re: Adam Dunn is #225 with 225 career home runs...

    Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Town Red View Post
    We need alot more than a pitcher to right this ship... again for the millionth time, you need to score runs in GABP...you need someone like DUNN !!
    you mean a guy that bats .220 with RISP? I think you mean someone like a Brandon Phillips, Hatteberg, Encarnacion,and Griffey who all better stats with RISP. Call me crazy but Dunn sucking with RISP is more of a problem for this reds team scoring runs than anything.

  8. #22
    KungFu Fighter AtomicDumpling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hamilton, OH
    Posts
    2,740

    Re: Adam Dunn is #225 with 225 career home runs...

    Quote Originally Posted by Muggerd View Post
    you mean a guy that bats .220 with RISP? I think you mean someone like a Brandon Phillips, Hatteberg, Encarnacion,and Griffey who all better stats with RISP. Call me crazy but Dunn sucking with RISP is more of a problem for this reds team scoring runs than anything.
    This has been covered to death on these boards before. Sigh.

    Dunn leads the Reds in runs scored every year. He leads the Reds in RBI every year.

    You can't change that fact.

    Despite the low average with RISP. Despite the strikeouts. He puts runs on the scoreboard. No matter what you say you can't change it. Neither Phillips, Hatteberg, EE nor Griffey produces runs better than Griffey. That is a fact.

  9. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    904

    Re: Adam Dunn is #225 with 225 career home runs...

    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    This has been covered to death on these boards before. Sigh.

    Dunn leads the Reds in runs scored every year. He leads the Reds in RBI every year.

    You can't change that fact.

    Despite the low average with RISP. Despite the strikeouts. He puts runs on the scoreboard. No matter what you say you can't change it. Neither Phillips, Hatteberg, EE nor Griffey produces runs better than Griffey. That is a fact.
    some people will never get it...until he's gone....then we will get the i wish we had Dunn back threads....geez
    Reds fan since 1970

  10. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,040

    Re: Adam Dunn is #225 with 225 career home runs...

    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    This has been covered to death on these boards before. Sigh.

    Dunn leads the Reds in runs scored every year. He leads the Reds in RBI every year.

    You can't change that fact.

    Despite the low average with RISP. Despite the strikeouts. He puts runs on the scoreboard. No matter what you say you can't change it. Neither Phillips, Hatteberg, EE nor Griffey produces runs better than Griffey. That is a fact.
    I cant change the fact that hes awful when it matters.

  11. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,040

    Re: Adam Dunn is #225 with 225 career home runs...

    Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Town Red View Post
    some people will never get it...until he's gone....then we will get the i wish we had Dunn back threads....geez
    Look around the league and find me a guy thats worse than dunn with RISP and has comparable stats. There isnt any guys. He leaves more runners on base than anyone on this team.

  12. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,040

    Re: Adam Dunn is #225 with 225 career home runs...

    You know what I think Frank Thomas is actually worse.

  13. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    904

    Re: Adam Dunn is #225 with 225 career home runs...

    and it's his fault no one is one base when he hits HR'S?
    Reds fan since 1970

  14. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,040

    Re: Adam Dunn is #225 with 225 career home runs...

    Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Town Red View Post
    and it's his fault no one is one base when he hits HR'S?
    Its his fault he cant hit homers with anyone on base yes. Have you compared his stats with other players?

  15. #29
    KungFu Fighter AtomicDumpling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hamilton, OH
    Posts
    2,740

    Re: Adam Dunn is #225 with 225 career home runs...

    Since Dunn only scores 100 runs per year he sucks because he doesn't score 125?

    Since Dunn only drives in 100 runs per year he sucks because he doesn't drive in 125?

    Sure his numbers would be better if his batting average with RISP were better, but even with the low average he still produces 200+ runs per year.

    Would you rather have a guy that hits .400 with RISP but only produces 75 runs scored and 75 RBI per year?

    The runs scored and RBI are what we need, not gaudy ratios. It doesn't matter how you produce the runs. It only matters that you produce them -- any way you can.

    Dunn doesn't require having RISP in order to produce runs. His power produces runs even when there aren't runners in scoring position.

    Too many people just look at the average with RISP without looking at his total production. Most people aren't even aware that Dunn is the team's best run scorer, not just an RBI man.
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 07-25-2007 at 10:10 PM.

  16. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,040

    Re: Adam Dunn is #225 with 225 career home runs...

    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Since Dunn only scores 100 runs per year he sucks because he doesn't score 125?

    Since Dunn only drives in 100 runs per year he sucks because he doesn't drive in 125?

    Sure his numbers would be better if his batting average with RISP were better, but even with the low average he still produces 200+ runs per year.

    Would you rather have a guy that hits .400 with RISP but only produces 75 runs scored and 75 RBI per year?

    The runs scored and RBI are what we need, not gaudy ratios. It doesn't matter how you produce the runs. It only matters that you produce them -- any way you can.

    Dunn doesn't require having RISP in order to produce runs. His power produces runs even when there aren't runners in scoring position.

    Too many people just look at the average with RISP without looking at his total production. Most people aren't even aware that Dunn is the team's best run scorer, not just an RBI man.

    Dunn walks more than he hits with RISP thats great production. Dunn leaves so many RBIS on the field that other options would get in on a regular basis. I dont think Dunn is bad but you ask me 13 million in the off season or not having 13 million id much rather have the 13 million. I simply feel that Dunns production is replaceable. You also forget to mention that Dunn by getting out more with RISP also lowers the amount of runs the reds can actually score. There is more to scoring runs than just the totals at the end of year.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25