Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Player Salaries vs. TV Stars

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,044

    Player Salaries vs. TV Stars

    Sorta off topic here, but I saw an article on Yahoo about how much TV stars make. Some of it is completely ridiculous. The general public tends to complain about players salaries and saying "School teachers make this" and so on. Here is the list...kind of crazy.

    LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Talk might be cheap, but Oprah is not, topping a list of the highest-paid television stars in the United States.

    ADVERTISEMENT

    Oprah Winfrey, host and supervising producer of "The Oprah Winfrey Show," earns an estimated $260 million a year, according to a list in TV Guide magazine's July 23 issue.

    Music producer Simon Cowell, the blunt and often contentious British judge of "American Idol," placed a distant second to Winfrey, with $45 million for his role on the Fox network's smash hit talent show and other projects.

    Courtroom chief Judge Judy (Judith Sheindlin), CBS News anchor Katie Couric and "Scrubs" actor Zach Braff round out the top five.

    The list breaks down star salaries by category -- prime-time TV, daytime, cable and news with a partial listing below:

    TOP FIVE (all salaries are per year)
    Oprah Winfrey ("The Oprah Winfrey Show"): $260 million

    Simon Cowell ("American Idol"): $45 million

    Judge Sheindlin ("Judge Judy"): $30 million

    Katie Couric ("CBS Evening News Anchor"): $15 million

    Zach Braff ("Scrubs"): $6.3 million

    NETWORK PRIME TIME (all salaries are per episode)
    William Petersen ("CSI"): $500,000

    Charlie Sheen ("Two and a Half Men"): $350,000

    Mariska Hargitay ("Law & Order: SVU"): $350,000

    Chris Meloni ("Law & Order: SVU"): $350,000

    Hugh Laurie ("House"): $300,000

    Julia Louis-Dreyfus ("New Adventures of Old Christine"):

    $225,000

    Ellen Pompeo ("Grey's Anatomy"): $200,000

    Eva Longoria ("Desperate Housewives"): $200,000

    DAYTIME (all salaries are per year)

    Judge Judy: $30 million

    Bob Barker: $10 million

    Maury Povich (per year plus profits): $7 million

    Ellen DeGeneres: $5 million

    Jerry Springer: $3 million - 4 million

    Tyra Banks: $3.5 million

    NEWS ANCHORS (all salaries are per year)
    Katie Couric ("CBS Evening News" anchor): $15 million

    Matt Lauer (NBC "Today" co-anchor): $12 million

    Meredith Vieira (NBC "Today" co-anchor): $10 million
    Judge Judy makes $30 million a year. Says a lot about America. Same with Jerry Springer getting $3-4 mil. WOW.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    You're soaking in it! MartyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    3,350

    Re: Player Salaries vs. TV Stars

    Oprah makes $280 mill per year?

    WOW...when she runs for President she can finance the entire thing herself.

    WOW...that is just a staggering amount of money.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

  4. #3
    Haunted by walks
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Syracuse
    Posts
    6,571

    Re: Player Salaries vs. TV Stars

    It's possible that TV salaries are more merit-based than baseball's. If you don't bring in the ratings and the ad dollars, you're gone. Can you imagine baseball players being signed to 13-week contracts?

    And Oprah is more like a player-owner. She's the Steinbrenner of TV.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,044

    Re: Player Salaries vs. TV Stars

    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    It's possible that TV salaries are more merit-based than baseball's. If you don't bring in the ratings and the ad dollars, you're gone. Can you imagine baseball players being signed to 13-week contracts?

    And Oprah is more like a player-owner. She's the Steinbrenner of TV.
    True. Notice that Simon makes 45 mil, while the other judges aren't on there. How would you feel to be making atleast $39 million less than the person sitting next to you to do the same thing.

  6. #5
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,306

    Re: Player Salaries vs. TV Stars

    Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    True. Notice that Simon makes 45 mil, while the other judges aren't on there. How would you feel to be making atleast $39 million less than the person sitting next to you to do the same thing.
    I'm pretty sure that's because he's part owner/creator of that show.

  7. #6
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Re: Player Salaries vs. TV Stars

    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's because he's part owner/creator of that show.
    And he's the only interesting judge that actually draws a signifigant number of people to tune into the show.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  8. #7
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Re: Player Salaries vs. TV Stars

    Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    And he's the only interesting judge that actually draws a signifigant number of people to tune into the show.
    You mean you don't appreciate Paula's "Straight Up", insightful critique?
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

  9. #8
    Tired of talk. Win! Joseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Commonwealth
    Posts
    8,346

    Re: Player Salaries vs. TV Stars

    And lets not forget that these things likely include things like reruns of shows they get paid for, whereas baseball players don't get paid for a rebroadcast on ESPN Classic I don't think. Likewise I'd wager Oprah's is for her entire company, the book club, the production company, etal, and not just the hour of TV she does each day. So we're likely comparing ALL the celebs income to just the salary of a baseballer. We all know A-Rod makes significantly more than the 25 million he makes on the baseball field through endorsement deals and such.

    Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

  10. #9
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,336

    Re: Player Salaries vs. TV Stars

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    And lets not forget that these things likely include things like reruns of shows they get paid for, whereas baseball players don't get paid for a rebroadcast on ESPN Classic I don't think. Likewise I'd wager Oprah's is for her entire company, the book club, the production company, etal, and not just the hour of TV she does each day. So we're likely comparing ALL the celebs income to just the salary of a baseballer. We all know A-Rod makes significantly more than the 25 million he makes on the baseball field through endorsement deals and such.

    Yeah, I skimmed over that article and Oprah gets paid for Dr. Phil and Rachael Ray. So that also comes into some serious cabbage for her. Gotta hand it to her, though.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25