Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Player Salaries vs. TV Stars

Player Salaries vs. TV Stars

Sorta off topic here, but I saw an article on Yahoo about how much TV stars make. Some of it is completely ridiculous. The general public tends to complain about players salaries and saying "School teachers make this" and so on. Here is the list...kind of crazy.

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Talk might be cheap, but Oprah is not, topping a list of the highest-paid television stars in the United States.

ADVERTISEMENT

Oprah Winfrey, host and supervising producer of "The Oprah Winfrey Show," earns an estimated $260 million a year, according to a list in TV Guide magazine's July 23 issue.

Music producer Simon Cowell, the blunt and often contentious British judge of "American Idol," placed a distant second to Winfrey, with $45 million for his role on the Fox network's smash hit talent show and other projects.

Courtroom chief Judge Judy (Judith Sheindlin), CBS News anchor Katie Couric and "Scrubs" actor Zach Braff round out the top five.

The list breaks down star salaries by category -- prime-time TV, daytime, cable and news with a partial listing below:

TOP FIVE (all salaries are per year)
    Oprah Winfrey ("The Oprah Winfrey Show"): $260 million

Simon Cowell ("American Idol"): $45 million

Judge Sheindlin ("Judge Judy"): $30 million

Katie Couric ("CBS Evening News Anchor"): $15 million

Zach Braff ("Scrubs"): $6.3 million

NETWORK PRIME TIME (all salaries are per episode)
    William Petersen ("CSI"): $500,000

Charlie Sheen ("Two and a Half Men"): $350,000

Mariska Hargitay ("Law & Order: SVU"): $350,000

Chris Meloni ("Law & Order: SVU"): $350,000

Hugh Laurie ("House"): $300,000

Julia Louis-Dreyfus ("New Adventures of Old Christine"):

$225,000

Ellen Pompeo ("Grey's Anatomy"): $200,000

Eva Longoria ("Desperate Housewives"): $200,000

DAYTIME (all salaries are per year)

Judge Judy: $30 million

Bob Barker: $10 million

Maury Povich (per year plus profits): $7 million

Ellen DeGeneres: $5 million

Jerry Springer: $3 million - 4 million

Tyra Banks: $3.5 million

NEWS ANCHORS (all salaries are per year)
    Katie Couric ("CBS Evening News" anchor): $15 million

Matt Lauer (NBC "Today" co-anchor): $12 million

Meredith Vieira (NBC "Today" co-anchor): $10 million
    Judge Judy makes $30 million a year. Says a lot about America. Same with Jerry Springer getting $3-4 mil. WOW.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Player Salaries vs. TV Stars

Oprah makes $280 mill per year?

WOW...when she runs for President she can finance the entire thing herself.

WOW...that is just a staggering amount of money.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Haunted by walks

It's possible that TV salaries are more merit-based than baseball's. If you don't bring in the ratings and the ad dollars, you're gone. Can you imagine baseball players being signed to 13-week contracts?

And Oprah is more like a player-owner. She's the Steinbrenner of TV.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    It's possible that TV salaries are more merit-based than baseball's. If you don't bring in the ratings and the ad dollars, you're gone. Can you imagine baseball players being signed to 13-week contracts?

And Oprah is more like a player-owner. She's the Steinbrenner of TV.
    True. Notice that Simon makes 45 mil, while the other judges aren't on there. How would you feel to be making atleast $39 million less than the person sitting next to you to do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    True. Notice that Simon makes 45 mil, while the other judges aren't on there. How would you feel to be making atleast $39 million less than the person sitting next to you to do the same thing.
    I'm pretty sure that's because he's part owner/creator of that show.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's because he's part owner/creator of that show.
    And he's the only interesting judge that actually draws a signifigant number of people to tune into the show.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    And he's the only interesting judge that actually draws a signifigant number of people to tune into the show.
    You mean you don't appreciate Paula's "Straight Up", insightful critique?
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

And lets not forget that these things likely include things like reruns of shows they get paid for, whereas baseball players don't get paid for a rebroadcast on ESPN Classic I don't think. Likewise I'd wager Oprah's is for her entire company, the book club, the production company, etal, and not just the hour of TV she does each day. So we're likely comparing ALL the celebs income to just the salary of a baseballer. We all know A-Rod makes significantly more than the 25 million he makes on the baseball field through endorsement deals and such.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    And lets not forget that these things likely include things like reruns of shows they get paid for, whereas baseball players don't get paid for a rebroadcast on ESPN Classic I don't think. Likewise I'd wager Oprah's is for her entire company, the book club, the production company, etal, and not just the hour of TV she does each day. So we're likely comparing ALL the celebs income to just the salary of a baseballer. We all know A-Rod makes significantly more than the 25 million he makes on the baseball field through endorsement deals and such.

Yeah, I skimmed over that article and Oprah gets paid for Dr. Phil and Rachael Ray. So that also comes into some serious cabbage for her. Gotta hand it to her, though.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?