Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bring me the head of Brian Bixler

Bring me the head of Brian Bixler

... preferrably attached to the rest of his body.

With the recent acquisition of Cesar Izturis, the Pirates are overflowing with veteran shortstops. Meanwhile Brian Bixler continues to play an attractive brand of baseball in AAA. Here's his profile:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=444448

He's a dirt player, the kind of guy who gets more out of his tools than you thought he had. We have a lot of fun with the term "scrappy" around here, but he's a guy whom I think does the term justice. He'd make a great reserve player and I could easily see him playing well enough to convince the team to move Gonzalez.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bring me the head of Brian Bixler

24 years old, I'd say why not?
    Go Gators!

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Brandon Phillips REDUX?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Good name.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Nice find! He isn't worth giving up any of the crown jewels, but he would make a nice "Oh by the way" pick up. If the Reds could trade Freel for the equivalent of what it would take to pick up Bixler, then that would be a "win" for Krivsky. Increasing PayFlex while holding talent steady is not sexy, but it is highly important for a team like the Reds.

Nine triples! Sounds like he would be an exciting player at GAB. Is he a leadoff hitter? We could trade Freel and Farney for him.
    "The two most important things in life are good friends and a strong bullpen."
    Bob Lemon

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    ... preferrably attached to the rest of his body.

With the recent acquisition of Cesar Izturis, the Pirates are overflowing with veteran shortstops. Meanwhile Brian Bixler continues to play an attractive brand of baseball in AAA. Here's his profile:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=444448

He's a dirt player, the kind of guy who gets more out of his tools than you thought he had. We have a lot of fun with the term "scrappy" around here, but he's a guy whom I think does the term justice. He'd make a great reserve player and I could easily see him playing well enough to convince the team to move Gonzalez.
    When did the Pirates pick up Izturis? (I must have missed that one.)
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Bobby Crosby broke his hand so I wonder if Beane will go after this guy.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    When did the Pirates pick up Izturis? (I must have missed that one.)
    late last week for a PTBNL
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

Due to limited range and limited arm strength, Brian Bixler is generally viewed to have second base/utility infielder abilities. I know we are talking about the Pirates here, but why would they have acquired Cesar Izturis if they had an inexpensive twenty-four year old waiting to take over for Jack Wilson?
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

David Eckstein part deux--we could do worse

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Due to limited range and limited arm strength, Brian Bixler is generally viewed to have second base/utility infielder abilities. I know we are talking about the Pirates here, but why would they have acquired Cesar Izturis if they had an inexpensive twenty-four year old waiting to take over for Jack Wilson?
    If the Pirates were more apt to make sensible baseball decisions, they wouldn't be working on 15 straight years of losing.

Having said that, I've seen the same reports on Bixler. But if the source is a Pirates scout and the Pirates can't scout, then who knows?
    Not all who wander are lost

Turn Off Ads?