Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Songs of All Time?

Re: Top Songs of All Time?

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post

And I think Simon and Garfunkel's best song is The Boxer. Hands down.
    I agree with you vaticanplum.

For Simon and Garfunkel, it really comes down to Bridge over Troubled Water, Mrs. Robinson and The Boxer for me, and I'm going with The Boxer in somewhat of an easy decision.

As for the Beatles, Yesterday is probably the general pick, but I'm going with Hey Jude. It's such a dramatic piece of music with such emotion and "flare" in it.

Bob Dylan? Tough one. So many greats, Like A Rolling Stone is timeless, but I'd probably go with Subterranean Homesick Blues, that song, IMO, really defines that era of music.

Beach Boys? I'm going with God Only Knows.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Beatles best song, IMO, is "Strawberry Fields Forever," getting a wafer-thin edge over "A Day in the Life."
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Beach Boys? I'm going with God Only Knows.
    I'd have to go with Good Vibrations. That song is just about perfect.

I'm going to have to give all this thought when I have more time. Very different question than the "favorites" thread.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

High five!

Yeah, talking about the top 40 songs of all time is a lot different than talking about one's personal top 40.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I'd have to go with Good Vibrations.
    Boy, there are so many ways I could take that out of context.

Thanks VaticanPlum!!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

You know what's not on the list? "Half Breed" by Cher and anything by Frehley's Comet.
    School's out. What did you expect?

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    You know what's not on the list? "Half Breed" by Cher and anything by Frehley's Comet.
    There are shames and damn shames. _That_ is a damn shame.

Yeah, "Muskrat Love" didn't make the cut either.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

RFS, while I love "Pet Sounds" I'm not sure it's as influential as you suggest.

I like "The Boxer" by Simon & Garfunkel but think "America" is my favorite. I also like Simple Desultory Phillipic" a lot.

"Penny Lane" is probably my favorite Beatles song.

Thunder Road

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Thunder Road
    Yeah, the Boss needs to be on the list. That's a good choice.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

RFS, while I love "Pet Sounds" I'm not sure it's as influential as you suggest.

Here's an bit about it from wiki...

Although not a big seller for the band originally, Pet Sounds has been influential since the day it was released. Rapturously received in Britain, it was lauded in the music press and championed by many top pop stars. The Beatles, for example, have said that Pet Sounds was a major influence on their album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and Paul McCartney has repeatedly named it as one of his favorite albums (with "God Only Knows" as his favorite song) — completing a circle begun by the Beatles' influence on Wilson (see "the beginning of Pet Sounds", above). McCartney stated that:
    “ It was Pet Sounds that blew me out of the water. I love the album so much. I've just bought my kids each a copy of it for their education in life ... I figure no one is educated musically 'til they've heard that album ... I love the orchestra, the arrangements ... it may be going overboard to say it's the classic of the century ... but to me, it certainly is a total, classic record that is unbeatable in many ways ... I've often played Pet Sounds and cried. I played it to John [Lennon] so much that it would be difficult for him to escape the influence ... it was the record of the time. The thing that really made me sit up and take notice was the bass lines ... and also, putting melodies in the bass line. That I think was probably the big influence that set me thinking when we recorded Pepper, it set me off on a period I had then for a couple of years of nearly always writing quite melodic bass lines. "God Only Knows" is a big favourite of mine ... very emotional, always a bit of a choker for me, that one. On "You Still Believe in Me", I love that melody - that kills me ... that's my favourite, I think ... it's so beautiful right at the end ... comes surging back in these multi-coloured harmonies ... sends shivers up my spine. ”

Other artists have also cited Pet Sounds as one of the all time classic albums. Eric Clapton stated that "I consider Pet Sounds to be one of the greatest pop LPs to ever be released. It encompasses everything that's ever knocked me out and rolled it all into one."

Elton John thinks that "Pet Sounds is a landmark album. For me to say that I was enthralled would be an understatement. I had never heard such magical sounds, so amazingly recorded. It undoubtedly changed the way that I, and countless others, approached recording. It is a timeless and amazing recording of incredible genius and beauty."

Beatles producer George Martin stated that "Without Pet Sounds, Sgt. Pepper wouldn't have happened... Pepper was an attempt to equal Pet Sounds."[1] After Sgt. Pepper was released, Wilson was so despondent that he went to bed for months.[2]

Bob Dylan has said of Brian Wilson's talents, "That ear - I mean, Jesus, he's got to will that to the Smithsonian."[1]

In 1995, nearly thirty years after its release, a panel of top musicians, songwriters and producers assembled by MOJO magazine voted it "The Greatest Album Ever Made." In 2006 Q magazine readers voted it the 18th greatest album of all time; critics of German magazine Spex voted it the best album of the 20th Century; in 2001 the TV network VH1 placed it at #3. It also placed #2 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time behind only Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles. In 2004, it was one of 50 recordings chosen by the Library of Congress to be added to the National Recording Registry. According to Acclaimedmusic.net, Pet Sounds is the most acclaimed pop album of all time by music journalists.[3]

In 2006, the album was chosen by TIME Magazine as one of the 100 best albums of all time.[4]
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

RFS, what are you trying to say, I don't get it?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Here's an bit about it from wiki...

Although not a big seller for the band originally, Pet Sounds has been influential since the day it was released. Rapturously received in Britain, it was lauded in the music press and championed by many top pop stars. The Beatles, for example, have said that Pet Sounds was a major influence on their album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and Paul McCartney has repeatedly named it as one of his favorite albums (with "God Only Knows" as his favorite song) — completing a circle begun by the Beatles' influence on Wilson (see "the beginning of Pet Sounds", above). McCartney stated that:
    “ It was Pet Sounds that blew me out of the water. I love the album so much. I've just bought my kids each a copy of it for their education in life ... I figure no one is educated musically 'til they've heard that album ... I love the orchestra, the arrangements ... it may be going overboard to say it's the classic of the century ... but to me, it certainly is a total, classic record that is unbeatable in many ways ... I've often played Pet Sounds and cried. I played it to John [Lennon] so much that it would be difficult for him to escape the influence ... it was the record of the time. The thing that really made me sit up and take notice was the bass lines ... and also, putting melodies in the bass line. That I think was probably the big influence that set me thinking when we recorded Pepper, it set me off on a period I had then for a couple of years of nearly always writing quite melodic bass lines. "God Only Knows" is a big favourite of mine ... very emotional, always a bit of a choker for me, that one. On "You Still Believe in Me", I love that melody - that kills me ... that's my favourite, I think ... it's so beautiful right at the end ... comes surging back in these multi-coloured harmonies ... sends shivers up my spine. ”

Other artists have also cited Pet Sounds as one of the all time classic albums. Eric Clapton stated that "I consider Pet Sounds to be one of the greatest pop LPs to ever be released. It encompasses everything that's ever knocked me out and rolled it all into one."

Elton John thinks that "Pet Sounds is a landmark album. For me to say that I was enthralled would be an understatement. I had never heard such magical sounds, so amazingly recorded. It undoubtedly changed the way that I, and countless others, approached recording. It is a timeless and amazing recording of incredible genius and beauty."

Beatles producer George Martin stated that "Without Pet Sounds, Sgt. Pepper wouldn't have happened... Pepper was an attempt to equal Pet Sounds."[1] After Sgt. Pepper was released, Wilson was so despondent that he went to bed for months.[2]

Bob Dylan has said of Brian Wilson's talents, "That ear - I mean, Jesus, he's got to will that to the Smithsonian."[1]

In 1995, nearly thirty years after its release, a panel of top musicians, songwriters and producers assembled by MOJO magazine voted it "The Greatest Album Ever Made." In 2006 Q magazine readers voted it the 18th greatest album of all time; critics of German magazine Spex voted it the best album of the 20th Century; in 2001 the TV network VH1 placed it at #3. It also placed #2 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time behind only Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles. In 2004, it was one of 50 recordings chosen by the Library of Congress to be added to the National Recording Registry. According to Acclaimedmusic.net, Pet Sounds is the most acclaimed pop album of all time by music journalists.[3]

In 2006, the album was chosen by TIME Magazine as one of the 100 best albums of all time.[4]
    Greatest? Perhaps. It's certainly an amazing piece of work.

Just not sure how influential it was.

Thanks for posting that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    RFS, what are you trying to say, I don't get it?

I'm sayin' "Pet sounds good".... unless coming from Puffy's direction.

Turn Off Ads?