Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Should the Reds be buyers and not sellers???

Should the Reds be buyers and not sellers???

This is not rational, logical, or reasonable, but something about tonight's (Wednesday's) game and the manager's recent handling of the bullpen makes me unaccountably optimistic about the rest of the season.

The optimism began with Keppinger's base-clearing double and grew from there. Had it been a superstar getting those 3 RBI, that would have been one thig, but Kepp has been McCanin's #3 SS.

Then, in the ninth, with Freel at second, Phillips at shortstop (the Skip's #4 SS), Conine at third, and Weathers in for a second inning, it got the old Far East juices stirring.

The Reds have won several series under the new skipper, have shown that they can play with the front runners, and they are 19-23 vs Central Division teams (with a whopping 11 of their 59 losses coming to American League teams).

Admittedly this is an emotional reaction, and there are a bunch of Central teams in the way, but if this were a little earlier in July instead of late July, I'd be advocating that the Reds be buyers, not sellers.

Just what currency they would use to be buyers I don't know.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should the Reds be buyers and not sellers???

No....no way......not even a thought should be entered into thinking this team can be a buyer and can seriously contend.

Did you see how bad they played in FLA against that team?

More bullpen arms that are no better than what they have...and you trade prospects to get them? Forget it.

Sell sell sell, play for next year
    Go Gators!

The Reds would have to be on fire for the rest of the season just to make .500. This team is not, nor will it be, in contention this season.

That said, if all the buyers are trying to lowball you, it might make sense to become a buyer too and outdo their paltry bids. Maybe you can snatch up a Javier Vazquez in the process.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The Reds would have to be on fire for the rest of the season just to make .500. This team is not, nor will it be, in contention this season.

That said, if all the buyers are trying to lowball you, it might make sense to become a buyer too and outdo their paltry bids. Maybe you can snatch up a Javier Vazquez in the process.
    Perhaps... but I sure hope that they buy young talent rather than old. Vazquez is pitching well right now, but he's never quite lived up to the hype he had in Montreal. He's one of those guys with amazing stuff that never quite figured out how to become truly dominant. Maybe he's finally figuring it out these days, but he seems to me to be more of a rich man's Kyle Lohse.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

More of the same today (Thursday), seeing Keppinger's based loaded hit, Hopper's PH, Valentin's game winner, Livingston's quality start (and hitting the ball still), and Burton's perfect inning -- all from guys about whom many have had low expectations.

Couple that with impending help anticipated from Gonzalez, Hamilton, Guardado, and perhaps Bray and Bailey, I feel that the Reds are becomming as good as any other Central team.

Biggest question is: how many games remain?

Quote Originally Posted by Far East View Post
    More of the same today (Thursday), seeing Keppinger's based loaded hit, Hopper's PH, Valentin's game winner, Livingston's quality start (and hitting the ball still), and Burton's perfect inning -- all from guys about whom many have had low expectations.

Couple that with impending help anticipated from Gonzalez, Hamilton, Guardado, and perhaps Bray and Bailey, I feel that the Reds are becomming as good as any other Central team.

Please, the Brewers had more to do with that loss than the Reds. The Brewers much like the Braves played like slobs. When you let inferior teams squeak games out on you(twice), you deserve what you get. The Marlins series was no fluke. The Reds suck.

Hey Yankees want Weathers - we need to grab Mariano.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Call it buying, selling, whatever. The Reds need two or three starting pitchers and two or three very good relievers. I hope they have a plan for getting these people, or they will be out of it next July again.

I'm open to any approach that brings quality pitching to this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Far East View Post

Easy big guy. I'm as starry-eyed of a Reds fan as there is, however.....

The Reds are currently 44-59 (103 games) with a win pct. of .427.

The have 59 games left.

To get to .500 (81-81), they would need to win 37 out of 59 games which is a .627 winning pct.

To get to 90 games (a guesstimate to win the division), they would need to win 45 out of 59 games which is a .762 winning pct.

.500 would be a monumental accomplishment. Nothing is impossible, but 90 wins for this ballclub is as close to impossible as you can get.
    Last edited by Roy Tucker; 07-26-2007 at 05:47 PM. Reason: I can't subtract

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Please, the Brewers had more to do with that loss than the Reds. The Brewers much like the Braves played like slobs. When you let inferior teams squeak games out on you(twice), you deserve what you get. The Marlins series was no fluke. The Reds suck.
    I'm not sure they suck as much as you think. Pretty nice record since the new manager entered the picture. Sample size low, but sweeping Atlanta in Atlanta playing the mets tough and we should have won at least 1 more. Winning 3-4 against the Brewers. There's a lot of nice pieces here. We even have had some injuries and Gonz gone and with Freel in one of the worst slumps ever. I just don't buy it that this team is as bad as saying they suck.

Hatteberg - Been just awesome
    Hamilton - When healthy many had him fighting for ROY
    Griffey - enough said - what a year
    Dunn - 43 HR 110 RBI projected season
    Phillips - just awesome - one of the top 2B
    Ross - leading catchers in HRs and nice RBI production for that BA and hitting 8th (not counting awesome defense)

The struggles are the timely hitting and the right handed bats thump ala EE.

Pitching is another story, but with Harang, Arroyo, and at home Kyle Loshe there is something there. Homer on the farm, with LIvingston much better than Milton, and Burton, Stormy Weathers. It's not all bad. I know it's time to be negative, but I still say the team is playing pretty darn good and in most ballgames. The ball hasn't been bouncing their way.

Have to mention Hopper and Javy too! They've had some nice moments this year. Who's this Kepplinger dude too!
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Turn Off Ads?