Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well the sky didnt fall

Well the sky didnt fall

They finally finally put Brandon Phillips at SS...man. The rotation of the earth continued on its regular path. I know he's an all world 2nd baseman...yada yada yada. He should be at SS and if you can move Freel to second trade Dunn and platoon Votto and Hooper for the rest of the season Im a happy camper.

:

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Well the sky didnt fall

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    They finally finally put Brandon Phillips at SS...man. The rotation of the earth continued on its regular path. I know he's an all world 2nd baseman...yada yada yada. He should be at SS and if you can move Freel to second trade Dunn and platoon Votto and Hooper for the rest of the season Im a happy camper.

:
    What about Gonzo?
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

:
    No one disputes that Brandon can play SS, only whether he would be above average defensively there. My feeling is he would not, and I think that feeling is shared by the front office. Maybe if the next GM/Manager combination doesn't value defense as highly it could happen. It won't under this regime. There was a golden opportunity last season to give Phillips an extended look at short, the experiment was quickly abandoned.

My advice, quit dreaming the impossible dream.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I'm note sure I would base anyone's fielding abilty based on one slowly hit ground ball.

Should we make Conine a regular thirdbaseman?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I'm note sure I would base anyone's fielding abilty based on one slowly hit ground ball.

Should we make Conine a regular thirdbaseman?
    And what good would that do this club both now and in the future. Conine doesn't have the ability to play 3b anymore. He can play there if needed but Edwin needs to play there every day.

I'm pretty sure PuffyPigs suggestion was rhetorical.

Just because BP didn't fall on his face when playing SS for a few innings doesn't mean it would be a good idea to regularly play him there.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    What about Gonzo?
    What about him?

What about him?

Where does he play when he comes back?
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

SS

SS

Gonna be kinda rough with both Phillips and Gonzo playing SS.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Maybe that is Pete's idea of an infield shift.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

my point with that is he should be allowed to spell Gonzo when Gonzo gets back and needs a day...Narron and a lot of folks here believe he shouldnt be anywhere near SS because he's a 2nd baseman.

my point with that is he should be allowed to spell Gonzo when Gonzo gets back and needs a day...Narron and a lot of folks here believe he shouldnt be anywhere near SS because he's a 2nd baseman.
    You make a valid point. Ron Oester used to slide over to SS when Dave Concepcion would get a day off in the early 80's, and Mariano Duncan was both the starting 2B AND Barry Larkin's backup at SS on the World Champion team in 1990.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    2 SS's and no LF

Do it.
    Go Gators!

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Conversely, my belief is that he's the regular second baseman and that means he should be playing second base if he's playing. Let the fill-ins do the filling in unless there's an emergency like there was the other night. That's what they're for.
    Not all who wander are lost

Turn Off Ads?