Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Pedro Lopez get hit???...

Did Pedro Lopez get hit???...

Because to see the postgame show on FSN and read the daily papers today, you almost have to be careful not to miss any reference to it...

It was brutal, as he was caught flush in the upper cheekbone...you fear not only for his current health, but his ability to conquer the natural fear that will accompany this injury...

Color me VERY UNIMPRESSED with not only coverage of the incident but more importantly with Mackanin, Keppinger and others who were interviewed after the game and didn't immediately draw attention to their injured teammate...I'm glad we won the game too, the 8th inning was exciting and all, but we ARE busy swapping last place with the Pirates...

My prayers to Pedro and his family for a speedy recovery both physically and mentally...

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Did Pedro Lopez get hit???...

Was one of the worst that I have seen. He looked like he was in shock after being hit, with good reason. It was interesting that Wise was not able to throw his fastball with any velocity after the beaning. It can really get into a pitcher's head as well.

I hope that Lopez can conquer the fear. I was hit in the head, twice, both times by guys that threw some pretty serious gas. It is not easy to step back in the box after that happens. I can't imagine what it must be like to get hit in the face. I would say that Lopez will probably wear one of the plastic protectors on the front of his helmet for a long while. Good luck and prayers to Pedro.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I'd have to check the video, but the only guy I saw out there with Lopez when he was in pain was Valentin (who was on deck).

Guy is writhing in pain, Mackanin has to be out there. Sorry if I missed something (I was kinda not looking...didn't need to see gory details).

Agree with you 100% Coach.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Was one of the worst that I have seen. He looked like he was in shock after being hit, with good reason. It was interesting that Wise was not able to throw his fastball with any velocity after the beaning. It can really get into a pitcher's head as well.

I hope that Lopez can conquer the fear. I was hit in the head, twice, both times by guys that threw some pretty serious gas. It is not easy to step back in the box after that happens. I can't imagine what it must be like to get hit in the face. I would say that Lopez will probably wear one of the plastic protectors on the front of his helmet for a long while. Good luck and prayers to Pedro.
    Prayers for the guy. Looked horrible and probably felt that way too. He'll need a large doses of Aleve/Excedrin/Advil/Motrin....

Vote for Pedro!

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I'd have to check the video, but the only guy I saw out there with Lopez when he was in pain was Valentin (who was on deck).

Guy is writhing in pain, Mackanin has to be out there. Sorry if I missed something (I was kinda not looking...didn't need to see gory details).

Agree with you 100% Coach.

From the Post story by C.Trent today:
    Two Starters Injured
    "I ran up there and there was blood spewing out of his mouth but he was still conscious," Mackanin said. "Dr. (Tim) Kremcheck came in two minutes ago to say he was going into the hospital. It looks like (Lopez) has a broken bone in his face. It looks like it's more than a bruise. That poor kid. He comes up and he's so happy to be here and he does such a nice job for us. We're hoping for the best."

I didn't see Mackanin out there either. I don't think he lingered there very long. Javier did.

My thought was whether Pedro speaks fluent english or not. I though maybe Javier was speaking to him in Spanish.....so he stayed out there longer to help communicate with the medical staff.
    “This one was a perfect one. I don’t know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. … I didn’t know he could speak like that.” Brayan Pena 5/21/14

My son and I were at the game. IIRC, Lopez was leading off the inning and it was the first pitch so I wasn't paying total attention. So I saw the pitch out the corner of my eye, heard a distinct "splat" (a horrible sound), and Lopez was down kicking his legs. I said oh crap.

Valentin was with Lopez the whole time he was down (probably about 10 minutes). He was right in there with all the medical staff (and there were a bunch of them) and looked like he was talking to Lopez. The Brewer catcher and umpire were there too.

Mackanin came out and hovered around for about a minute after all the medical guys were there. He didn't sprint out there, but he was there in a timely fashion. After about a minute, Mackanin went back to the dugout where I assume he was trying to figure out who was going to play where.

My thoughts and prayers are with Lopez and his family. I looked pretty darn serious to me.

Pay attention to the open sky

I was at the game, and Mackanin was one of the first responders but he did not stay long once the medical team got there.

I was horrified to hear later on that the sound we heard was the ball hitting his face, not his helmet which from our vantage point looked like what happened.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I hope some aren't implying that just because everyone didn't come pouring out of the dugout and hover over the kid, that it imples they weren't concerned or didn't care. In situations like that you want to stay out of the way and give those trainers and medical staff plenty of room to evaluate treat, and not have to move and weave around a larger group of "gawkers" (even if they are his teammates) standing around.

I'm sure we'll get news later in the day.

My thoughts and prayer to Lopez.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-26-2007 at 09:44 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

It was all over ESPN. they said turn away that it was going to be violent.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

I'm only guessing here, but Valentin could have been helping with translation if Cruz speaks primarily Spanish.

C Trent reporting Lopez has a broken cheekbone.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    C Trent reporting Lopez has a broken cheekbone.
    Poor kid. At least he's on the major league DL and getting major league pay and service time.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Just watched the video posted on MLB.com from the game Recap...WOW...poor guy.

I think the criticism of Mack is a bit much, there was nothing he could do, he let the medical gurus get in there and do their thing and he had to figure out what to do with his lineup after implementing a double switch earlier...so, I give him a pass..

As for the coverage, I only read MLB.com which didn't write a headline about it seemed to report the event as it happened in the game...chronologically...I agree it is horrible that the guy got hurt, I feel for him and hope he recovers 100%...thankfully the injury didn't look to be as dangerous as the one Sean Casey endured...still very bad...but his eye was in tact.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    ..thankfully the injury didn't look to be as dangerous as the one Sean Casey endured...still very bad...but his eye was in tact.
    depends on where his cheekbone is fractured, and how displaced it is; a typical "cheekbone" fracture involves the bony floor and lateral wall of the orbit, or "eye socket."

When I saw him get hit last night, I thought he had fractured his mandible (lower jaw) with all that blood...

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Hats of to Matt Wise for his actions after the game. Marty & Thom said Wise got out of the ballpark and into a cab and headed straight for the hospital to see Lopez. Wise said Lopez didn't speak much English, but he thinks Lopez understood how heartfelt his apology was.
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

Turn Off Ads?