Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart, Target, or Kmart?

Re: Wal-Mart, Target, or Kmart?

Target has darling clothes. And they give three thousand dollars to my old theater company every year. Their grant program is great -- it's locally based, so the people choosing the grant winners for the non-profits near you are actually people working in a store somewhere near you. So they're actually aware of the needs and feel of the community. I do a lot of secondhand shopping, but if I need something new I sometimes go to Target.

I've found some truly, ah, unique stuff at Big Lots too.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Target - there's one close by. It's nice, Starbux and all. We go sometimes.
    Walmart - Not often. Further away and the supercenter is intimidating.
    The one is Cancun is OK
    Sam Club we'll do for some things.
    K-Mart - Kmart? K-Mart SUCKS, Charlie Babbit.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I have a Wal-Mart 2 miles away and a Target 20 Miles away. I go to Target.

GL

I wouldn't go to Walmart if you paid me. I hate every one of their stores that I've ever been in. There are three within 10 miles of my house.

I only buy junk food at Target. There are also three of them within 10 miles of my house. I'm really a Costco guy. Absolutely love the place.

Never been one to buy clothing at the discounters. I don't think the quality is good enough.

Costco rules...but to answer the question...Target
    Reds fan since 1970

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I find that curious RB. Walmart's issues are well documented and I've never heard similar claims against Target, although I'm fairly sure that none of these companies are as enlightened as Costco is.

I suppose that's a topic for the peanut gallery though.....
    I've been involved in litigation against Target for the last few years. I'm not a big Wal-Mart fan, but when I sometimes read Target compared to the angels and Wal-Mart to the demons, it makes me laugh because I see nothing angelic in either conglomerate.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I go to Target as much as I can for shopping, if not Target then Meijer

I avoid walmart like the plague, I just feel dirty being in one

The Kmarts near me have the general feeling of being dead.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I've been involved in litigation against Target for the last few years. I'm not a big Wal-Mart fan, but when I sometimes read Target compared to the angels and Wal-Mart to the demons, it makes me laugh because I see nothing angelic in either conglomerate.
    Target gained a lot of "credibility" in the Chicago area several years ago when they bought Marshall Fields Department Stores. (They are now owed by Macy's).
    On top of that, they have much slicker marketing.

The thing I like about the local Target's by my house, is that they are never very busy. You can usually get out pretty quickly. That is, if you can find a cashier.

I work for Wal-mart, so I should offer them at least token support. It does have a number of issues, but it is still a good place to shop. I suppose I cannot be objective, however.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Interesting. Guess it's not surprising given the tendencies of many large corporations.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I haven't been in a KMart since high school, and for me, that was a long, long time ago.

I was last in a Walmart a couple years ago when we were in FL and were looking for some Noodles to take to the beach. Before that - I have no idea.

I go to Target every month or so, usually for something specific. Last time I was there I bought some paper for the printer and a video game for creek jr.

I know this makes me sound like a snob, but I am a Macy's shopper for clothes and stuff like that. I'd rather pay a little more and have something hold it's shape and last more than a year.

For other stuff, it's Kroger and CVS.

The only other store I avoid is Best Buy. Waaaaay too dishonest for me.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Costco for groceries. Sometimes Aldi's because there's one less than two miles from my house, and I actually like the way they do business.

Not a fan of Wal-Mart but I do shop there sometimes because it's pretty close to the house, but we try to plan ahead so that we can buy most of our food at Costco.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    Target gained a lot of "credibility" in the Chicago area several years ago when they bought Marshall Fields Department Stores. (They are now owed by Macy's).
    On top of that, they have much slicker marketing.

The thing I like about the local Target's by my house, is that they are never very busy. You can usually get out pretty quickly. That is, if you can find a cashier.
    i agree RIC...the Targets in Chicago are very clean, and never too busy...you can find what you need and get in and out in a reasonable fashion.The Walmarts i have been in are crowded and dirty. Thats enough for me not to shop
    Reds fan since 1970

Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Town Red View Post
    i agree RIC...the Targets in Chicago are very clean, and never too busy...you can find what you need and get in and out in a reasonable fashion.The Walmarts i have been in are crowded and dirty. Thats enough for me not to shop
    That's pretty much it for me too. Out of the three, I'm most likely to go to Target. I just like the layout and I can usually find what I need there. I also don't feel the need to shower after going there, like I do with Wal-Mart. I want to get in and get out, not be bombarded with shirtless three-year-olds screaming being chased by their mother.

I probably shop at Meijer more than Wal-Mart, KMart and Target combined.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I want to get in and get out, not be bombarded with shirtless three-year-olds screaming being chased by their mother.
    It's funny how a store can garner that sort of reputation. The old Walmart in Eastgate (east side of Cincy) was exactly as you describe. I know this will be hidously sterotypical, but it was chock full of 348lbs women in sweetpants chasing shirtless screaming 3 year olds. You couldn't navigate a single isle without it being blocked by someone.

The Super-Walmart in Milford isn't as bad. No screaming kids. Not crowded and icky. Of course I go very early on Saturday mornings (usually around 7:30 or 8:30am) when I stop in and its still very new. But you can tell the difference in store "decorations" and the width of the isles that they are trying to change their reputation.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Turn Off Ads?