Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Wal-Mart, Target, or Kmart?

Re: Wal-Mart, Target, or Kmart?

While I am sure similar practices go on in all of the major chains, Wal-Mart's anti-union activities are well documented and despicable. We're talking about tactics and intimidation that Sally Fields could never have imagined, much less stood up to. While I do appreciate the company's latest attempts to go green, I will only shop there in the most dire of circumstances for many of the reasons already stated. Add to that, I have never gotten a smile from someone at Wal-Mart and that's after an hour of searching for someone to help me.
    For groceries, I shop where I work, Publix. I really hope we expand into some of your areas eventually. It's something like 40% associate owned and customer service is the #1 priority. It really is drummed into our heads everyday. We are well paid, comparatively, and, considering the industry, fairly selective about the people that are hired. Despite what you may hear, Publix beats everyone but Wal-Mart on prices.
    I do agree on buying local though. SC has even rolled out a new advertising campaign on it. The wife and I will head to the farmer's market this weekend.
    Last edited by BoxingRed; 07-27-2007 at 09:01 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Yay!

Timely piece on NPR this morning about local produce and farmer's markets: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=12295320
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingRed View Post
    While I am sure similar practices go on in all of the major chains, Wal-Mart's anti-union activities are well documented and despicable. We're talking about tactics and intimidation that Sally Fields could never have imagined, much less stood up to. While I do appreciate the company's latest attempts to go green, I will only shop there in the most dire of circumstances for many of the reasons already stated. Add to that, I have never gotten a smile from someone at Wal-Mart and that's after an hour of searching for someone to help me.
    For groceries, I shop where I work, Publix. I really hope we expand into some of your areas eventually. It's something like 40% associate owned and customer service is the #1 priority. It really is drummed into our heads everyday. We are well paid, comparatively, and, considering the industry, fairly selective about the people that are hired. Despite what you may hear, Publix beats everyone but Wal-Mart on prices.
    I do agree on buying local though. SC has even rolled out a new advertising campaign on it. The wife and I will head to the farmer's market this weekend.

Publix rocks...whenever we visit Sarasota for Reds spring training, my wife has to pick up some of their peanut butter that is freshly made.

General Merchandise: Target And Online
    Electronics: Fry's And Online, Occassionally Nex/aafes
    Groceries: Military Commissary, And Von's With Double Coupons
    Walmart: Last Resort When All Other Means Have Failed
    All KMarts in San Diego have been closed or turned into Sears Essentials. The Sears Essentials are mostly empty as far as I can tell.
    Costco when we need to buy toliet paper and spaghetti sauce in bulk. I also like to get the Ice Cream Bar with Nuts. Also the Hebrew National Hot Dog and Soda for $1.50, I can't pass up such a deal.
    Last edited by RBA; 07-29-2007 at 12:18 PM.

I shop at Wal-Mart/Sam's Club, Target, and K-Mart in that order. I also go to TJ Maxx and Gordman's most often when I'm searching for clothes. We don't have a Costco or Big Lots.

We have three Wal Mart stores. We go to the closest for groceries mostly and general household items, and some clothes. The next closest is just down the street from Sam's Club and I go there when I'm looking for Blu Ray movies. The third Wal Mart is where I go if the second doesn't have something I'm specifically looking for as the electronics and toy departments are bigger and well stocked.

I don't tend to buy a ton of stuff at Sam's Club, but sometimes they have fantastic deals on electronics, video games, etc., so that's where I'll look first if I need something specific. I also buy steak in bulk from Sam's and the wife picks up some veggies there.

If I'm looking for newly-released movies or TV seasons on regular DVD, I go to Target Greatland. Their electronics selection is more limited than everywhere else but there are great deals to be had if you check frequently and I think they have the best day-after-Thanksgiving sales around.

K-Mart is the least visited of the three, but we spent at least $300.00 there this weekend because they were blowing out all "clearance" items at an additional 30% off PLUS offering $5 reward receipts for every $50 you spend (redeemable Aug 19th-24th). Ridiculous values. The K-Mart is pretty lowbrow, but it's also likely to have "hot" items in stock due to lower traffic. Picked up a Nintendo Wii for a co-worker there just yesterday.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

how much did u pay for the Wii ?
    Reds fan since 1970

Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Town Red View Post
    how much did u pay for the Wii ?
    $249.99 plus tax. But the cool thing was that I got $15.00 in "rebate" cash that I can spend on anything in the store in late August, so it was like getting the Wii at a discount.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    $249.99 plus tax. But the cool thing was that I got $15.00 in "rebate" cash that I can spend on anything in the store in late August, so it was like getting the Wii at a discount.
    nice
    Reds fan since 1970

WalMart Supercenter. It's all we have in town; but I have no problem with them. I can't stand KMart. I'll go to Dollar General or Odd Lots before I stop at a KMart. They lost me as a customer 20+ years ago.

But these were always my favorite as a kid. Loved the soda fountains....

Last edited by GAC; 07-30-2007 at 08:57 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Wouldn't know where to find a KMart around here if my life depended on it.

Couple of new Targets nearby (w/in about 5 miles) so that's where we usually end up. Usually hit Costco once a month.

Wal-Marts are all in far-flung suburbia - a place that I avoid like the plague. I'm not anti-Wal-Mart, though.

Turn Off Ads?