Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Odell Thurman denied reinstatement

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Odell Thurman denied reinstatement

From www.bengals.com

Odell denied reinstatement by the NFL today with a chance to apply next year. Maybe I am biased but I do not understand this one. He had a rough year last year but as far as I know he has done everything he has been asked to do. Doesn't make much sense to me. Goddell better stay consistent with this with guys like Vick and Tank Johnson...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Re: Odell Thurman denied reinstatement

I was trying to find out more from bengals message boards but you really get nothing of substance over there. I can't help but think that this whole Vick situation put Gogdell in a fowl mood about Odell. It just amazes me that Jason Allen can have 2 dui's, spend jail time and get 2 games. Tank had so many infractions last year yet Goddell permitted him to play in the super bowl. I would imagine we will hear a grievance filed on Odell's behalf if he complied with everything he was supposed to. If not then he did something bad.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I was trying to find out more from bengals message boards but you really get nothing of substance over there. I can't help but think that this whole Vick situation put Gogdell in a fowl mood about Odell. It just amazes me that Jason Allen can have 2 dui's, spend jail time and get 2 games. Tank had so many infractions last year yet Goddell permitted him to play in the super bowl. I would imagine we will hear a grievance filed on Odell's behalf if he complied with everything he was supposed to. If not then he did something bad.
    Allen did have a 4 game suspension until the NFL reduced it to 2 games.

That really, really sucks. Odell kept his nose clean for the time he was suspended and met all of the requirements they asked of him. I think Mr. Goodell is going a little far with his "severe" penalties. I'm fine with making them stringent, but if someone does what you ask of them, there's no reason to deny them "just because."
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

He has to have failed another drug test or something if there is NOT a grievance filed, otherwise the collective bargaining situation has to be being violated....I think.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    He has to have failed another drug test or something if there is NOT a grievance filed, otherwise the collective bargaining situation has to be being violated....I think.
    Agreed. If nothing else exists since last year this should be appealed, immediately.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

On the surface, it looks like Odell got screwed...if there's more to this, I would like to know what it is.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

If there is more to this, then we would have already known.

1. Its a Bengal. You think someone would havee kept it out of the news? Not a chance. He didn't fail a drug test or we would know.

2. Something is going to happen. He is going to file a grievance. There is something funny going on here. Mr 'Tough as Nails' commish is a joke as of now.

Yeah, something seems odd here.

IIRC, Thurman failed a drug test last summer and then got a DUI in the fall. I think he got a 4 game suspension for the drug test and then a full season for adding on the DUI. He had some scrape with the law a couple months back but that amounted to a trumped-up charge.

From limited press reports, he supposedly has been complying with all the terms of his legal system and NFL issues.

Either he didn't comply as well, did something else, or Goodell is coming down hard on him to make an example of him. If Thurman has kept his nose clean, I'd like to hear the reasoning if Goodell is just making an example of him.

If Thurman gets a 2 yr. suspension for a failed drug test and a DUI, Goodell sure as heck better start handing out multi-year suspensions to Pacman, Tank, Vick, and the rest of the NFL rogues.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

Either he didn't comply as well, did something else, or Goodell is coming down hard on him to make an example of him. If Thurman has kept his nose clean, I'd like to hear the reasoning if Goodell is just making an example of him.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but if he were a Patriot, a Colt, or a Steeler, for example, I wonder if the outcome would be different?

This decision does not seem to make any sense. About a month ago a couple of people in Thurman's hometown alleged that he hit and kicked them at a party only to later withdraw the charges. I wonder if this had anything to do with the decision.

I wonder what Pacman Jones is thinking today?

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    I wonder what Pacman Jones is thinking today?
    That getting people shot and paralyzed and having 10 run-ins with the law isn't as bad as failing a drug test a year ago and getting his first DUI?

Here is the thing. A 2 years suspension in the NFL could just as well be a career suspension. Goddell needs to be careful with the way he his handeling things. You can be tough as nails but you have to be fair. If it comes out that Odell complied with everything and you deined him for a money grab police file then you are going to lose a lot of faith from both your owners and also a lot of agreement from the union.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Here is the thing. A 2 years suspension in the NFL could just as well be a career suspension. Goddell needs to be careful with the way he his handeling things. You can be tough as nails but you have to be fair. If it comes out that Odell complied with everything and you deined him for a money grab police file then you are going to lose a lot of faith from both your owners and also a lot of agreement from the union.
    That is why unless there is an absolutely solid reason this was extended I think the union will be involved in protesting this.

Turn Off Ads?