Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Softball HR Derby tomorrow night...

Softball HR Derby tomorrow night...

Anyone know what time this thing starts? I tried the Reds but everyone seems to be out of the office because of the 12:30 game today.

I would assume that they start it around 6pm. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks
    Matta = Really good

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Softball HR Derby tomorrow night...

I would assume at 6:30 but I'm not totally sure. I saw one of these shows a couple years ago and would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who has not seen one yet.

You will come away shocked and amazed.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

My father and I saw this thing last year. We rolled our eyes and poo-pooed it. Boy were we wrong. It was amazing to see these big softball brusers crushing balls out of the ballpark. IIRC they had a number of uper-deck blasts which is just frickin amazing considering the big mushball they are hitting and the low relative velocity of the incomming pitch.

Of course the dudes hitting them were so big it only begged a question regarding what sort of special sugar they put on their wheeties in the morning to get that big.

But all in all, well worth the time to check it out.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    Anyone know what time this thing starts? I tried the Reds but everyone seems to be out of the office because of the 12:30 game today.

I would assume that they start it around 6pm. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks
    6:00 seems a little early. Dunn probably won't come up until 7:25 or so at the earliest.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Anybody can crush a ball with a composite.... lets see them do it with a Louisville slugger.....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

This is from the Longhaul Bombers website...

http://www.buysoftball360.com/index....n=Custom&ID=14

2007 WSL Stadium Power Tour Schedule
    The Bombers always start hitting about 35 minutes before the first pitch and the event is 15 minutes long. All you need is a ticket to the game to see them.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Anybody can crush a ball with a composite.... lets see them do it with a Louisville slugger.....
    that's balanced out by the monster size of a softball compared to a baseball.

Granted - the LHB guys are probably using the highest compression balls made - but still - it's no easy feat mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    This is from the Longhaul Bombers website...

http://www.buysoftball360.com/index....n=Custom&ID=14
    Thanks Kitty. I didn't realize it would only take them 15 minutes to get through the whole thing. I think 4 guys swing with it be 2 vs 2. Each team is sponsored by a different manufactorer (Easton, DeMarini, etc)
    Matta = Really good

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    that's balanced out by the monster size of a softball compared to a baseball.

Granted - the LHB guys are probably using the highest compression balls made - but still - it's no easy feat mind you.
    I'm a big guy so maybe I'm biased but in this day and age, hitting a softball 350 ft with anything other than a wooden bat just doesn't impress me. That said, the LHB guys will put on a show.

Real men play in wooden bat leagues (obvious fighting words meant to challenge everybody's manhood)....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I'm a big guy so maybe I'm biased but in this day and age, hitting a softball 350 ft with anything other than a wooden bat just doesn't impress me. That said, the LHB guys will put on a show.

Real men play in wooden bat leagues (obvious fighting words meant to challenge everybody's manhood)....
    Saw these guys 2 years ago at GABP and the thing is, they're not just hitting em 350. There will be many 400+ down there tonight. There were some a couple years ago that made the sections of the bleachers above the tunnels.

Pretty impressive even with composite and high compression balls.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

As dabvu said, there will be no wall scrapers. When I went in 2005 they were hitting balls to the upper rows of the Moon Deck in right and a couple balls even went over the deck. In left field, there were a few balls that I thought had a chance to hit the scoreboard.

I was the same way you are before I went and saw it in person....I poo-pooed it. After I saw it, I was a believer.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Turn Off Ads?