Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Encarnacion's power

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Encarnacion's power

I think a sentiment among many Reds fans -- myself included -- has been that Edwin Encarnacion would eventually develop into a decent power hitter. He shoots line drives and has room to get bigger and it would seem natural that he would eventually be a 25-30 HR guy.

But I just don't see it anymore. EE is a good hitter at times, especially when he's confident -- but he simply does not generate much power. Several times this year he will appear to hit a ball relatively well and it's a routine pop-up. Even when he really gets a great swing on it, he just doesn't have much power. Yeah, he can rip the ball and will end up with a few home runs (usually balls that are about one or two rows deep), but I think my initial thought was wrong. Encarnacion will never be a 25-30 HR guy. Maybe he could have one "fortunate" year like the season Casey hit 25 jacks ('99) but Edwin will always be a line-drive hitter and nothing more in by book. And that's fine. IF... you are great defensively, get on base a lot and knock in a lot of runs. I think EE is a good run producer, but overall, I just don't think he's the 3B of the future. I sure hope I'm wrong. But we've just been cursed at that position for years. Really since Sabo. (I was never a huge Aaron Boone fan; liked him, but not crazy about him)... Willie Greene was OK for a while, then fell off the face of the earth. Brandon Larson was obviously a disaster.

Actually we had that one good year with Tony Fernandez at 3B, but as far as a long-term 3B, it's been a mess. And I don't think EE is the man to turn it around.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Re: Encarnacion's power

He still has power. He's just pulling off on every swing. He's too pull conscious like David Ross was early in the season. He's swinging through sliders off the outside corner, and he's either taking fastballs on the outside corner or weakly grounding them to the infield. Last year he was rocketing that outside corner fastball into the right-center field gap.

What is it with Reds' 3B who want to pull everything? Aaron Boone was the same way. Both Boone and Encarnacion are hitting well when they're hitting the ball in the gaps the other way.

If EdE doesn't fix his swing and approach, I'm going to start to worry about the future at 3B.
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

The Reds have been pretty bleak at 3rd base since forever

I wonder if the hitting coach is working with EE?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    The Reds have been pretty bleak at 3rd base since forever

I wonder if the hitting coach is working with EE?
    I wonder if the hitting coach is the root of EE's problem?

Jerry Narron replaced Chambliss with Jacoby in an effort reduce K's and have the team make more contact.

A move that still boggles my mind.

Only if the hitting coach is telling EE to do what Crash suggested in his earlier post.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

Jerry Narron replaced Chambliss with Jacoby in an effort reduce K's and have the team make more contact.

A move that still boggles my mind.

Actually, this year's Reds are on pace for 1173 team Ks.

Last year: 1192

Baby steps!
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

I don't think Jacoby is the problem at all. Dunn is on pace for a career year (but he is always high-risk to tail off greatly at the end of the season), Phillips is having an amazing year, Griffey is having his best year since his first year with the Reds in 2000, maybe better. Hamilton adjusted well to Major League pitching and was on pace for a great year until his injuries. Obviously, the hitters deserve most of the credit. But if anything, I think Jacoby is helping not hurting. There isn't a hitting coach on this planet that could get these Reds to greatly cut down on strikeouts.

Most of young guys also hit well, guys like Hopper, Keppinger, Lopez (before getting beaned in the face) all hit as well or better with the Reds than they did with Louisville.

Of course, then you have the David Ross situation. Our old little league coaches could tell him right off the bat that he's pulling his head off the ball. And yes, Ross would try and pull a pitch even if it was 10 inches outside.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post

Baby steps!
    And last year's team had Lopez and Kearns, two strikeout guys.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post

Baby steps!
    What about runs scored?
    Go Gators!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Clearly we're not striking out enough.

Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    What about runs scored?
    This year, we've scored 483 which is on pace for 760.

Last year: 749.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Eddie's off the 'roids

I knew he would jack a HR the day after I posted this. Haha. I love it! Prove me wrong Eddie!

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I knew he would jack a HR the day after I posted this. Haha. I love it! Prove me wrong Eddie!
    Did he ever! Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Post it again and again
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?