Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Is the day of deadline trade deals done?

Is the day of deadline trade deals done?

I have watched this off-season, and it seems that teams no longer are willing to trade prospects for veteran players. Since you need to trade prospects to get veteran players for the stretch run, it could be there will be less blockbuster trade deals done at the deadline this year and in the future. I for one will regret this, since I always watched to see if the Reds could make a trade at the deadline to help the Reds. I fully believed that when we gave up very little to acquire Ken Griffey he would be the missing piece in the Reds puzzle. I am very sorry when I think there may be very little trading done at the deadline in the years to come.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is the day of deadline trade deals done?

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I have watched this off-season, and it seems that teams no longer are willing to trade prospects for veteran players. Since you need to trade prospects to get veteran players for the stretch run, it could be there will be less blockbuster trade deals done at the deadline this year and in the future. I for one will regret this, since I always watched to see if the Reds could make a trade at the deadline to help the Reds. I fully believed that when we gave up very little to acquire Ken Griffey he would be the missing piece in the Reds puzzle. I am very sorry when I think there may be very little trading done at the deadline in the years to come.
    I don't think you will see nearly as many blockbusters as before. Teams know that they have to keep cheap, young home grown talent to compliment the booming salaries in the FA market. Why would they trade that such promising talent for something they can just go out and buy in the open market at the end of the season? It's a very expensive price to pay.

I think the new world order in trade deadlines is a bunch of marginal players and veterans at the end of their careers for prospects that are not projected to be stars. Players like Lohse, Conine, etc.

I don't think we will re-sign Dunn or Griffey. Unless the trade return is much higher than the speculation suggests, the smartest move would be to sit on them and take the compensatory picks for losing an "A" free agent.

Talkin' Baseball

Re: Is the day of deadline trade deals done?

Nah, teams will still get desperate and be willing to deal. The way San Diego has been playing lately, I'll be shocked if they don't pull the trigger on a deal for a bat. Tiexera or Dunn may be headed there. But as long as there are teams that feel they need just that one more guy to put them over the top, there will be deals to be made. Also, with the wild card playoff spot, some teams will not be as desperate while others will think they are contenders rather than pretenders. I'm sure that has some influence on who are buyers and sellers.

Turn Off Ads?