Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Trade Coutlangus?

Trade Coutlangus?

I know it sounds absurd, trading the only effective young, cheap reliever we have, but he probably would get the most in return.
    Every contender needs a lefty for their bullpen. A good lefty reliever is usually the hottest commodity at the trading deadline. Brian Giles was once traded for Ricardo Rincon.
    We could probably get one or two top ten prospects for Coutlangus, ones that could be a closer or a top line starter. And he is replacable with Gosling, Bray and Everyday Eddie coming back.
    Not saying we should, but I think we should see what he could bring. Just a thought.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trade Coutlangus?

I really like Coutlangus and he's been very good for being a rookie so far. But I doubt we'd get two top prospects for a guy who will have a 4.00 ERA. That's good for a rookie but I think a contender might look elsewhere for a lefty. But, If a team did infact blow the Reds away with a deal they should take it.

This is his first season in the majors: we might not get a lot for him. Just saying.

I would keep him, i see a bright future ahead for him.
    Reds fan since 1970

Any pitcher on the Reds that is getting the job done should not be traded. We're looking for pitching in return for trades and people want to trade the only good pitching we have. Go figure.

Talkin' Baseball

Sure, if someone were to offer a 5-tool talent like a young Brian Giles, you have to consider the deal. But with nearly everyone agreeing that the bullpen is this team's most obvious weakness, I would be hesitant to trade one of the most effective guys out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Any pitcher on the Reds that is getting the job done should not be traded. We're looking for pitching in return for trades and people want to trade the only good pitching we have. Go figure.
    Obviously, we should only trade him if we get pitching in return. History is loaded with contenders overpaying for lefty relievers at the trading deadline. year after year after year.
    Like I said, I am not in favor of getting rid of him, just seeing what would be offered for him. There is a good chance some contender will offer a potenial closer or starter for him. It has been done before, many times.
    And while he has been one of the few bright spots this year, he can be replaced. He has a very low ceiling.

Senor Votto

Trade Stanton before Cout

Hmmm lets see, should we trade Stanton or Contalangus...?

Lets see... with the understanding that even trading Adam Dunn won't bring us much more than a prospect, that leaves only one question:

Would we want to Super Size the box of Government Cheese that we get in exchange for those two, or do we just want the regular size?
    L.A. manager Grady Little had a bad feeling about Wednesday's game when he saw Harang and pitching coach Dick Pole walking in after Harang's warmup.

"I saw two big men," Little said. "Either could have shut us out tonight."

Turn Off Ads?