Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not looking like a big makeover is coming.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: Not looking like a big makeover is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Davis View Post
    Absolutely. It seems like the trend has been heading this way for a few years though. There aren't many GM's who want to give up young talent on the chance that it comes back to bite them.
    There just seems to be a self-perpetuating cycle going on. It's very expensive to sign free agents, especially pitchers. Teams are uncertain of their ability to fill holes via free agency as a result. So they try to extend young players before they hit free agency and keep their cheap young talent, minimizing the amount of free-agent shopping that needs to be done. And thus, fewer coveted players end up as free agents. When there's money but not much to spend it on, prices go up, and suddenly free agents are even more expensive. Which makes it even more imperative to lock up your own players. And around and around we go.

But there's a good argument made in this thread that it's about time for someone to break out of the groupthink and make that big deal.
    Not all who wander are lost

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Because without him, in your scenario, we'd only win 45 or 50 games.
    Nah. Some other guy would step up an convert 80% of his save chances. That's how Weathers ended up with the job in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    So we don't lose 120?
    It might take a painful shock like that to finally convince Castellini to make some meaningful changes. If the Reds keep chugging along at 70-75 wins, Cast will be content to just buy new windshield wipers instead of fixing the problems in the engine.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

ESPN has convinced everyone that the annual rite of buying by the haves and selling by the have nots must occur. They have a show to make exciting coming up in a few days. I'm really bummed that I'm going to miss it.

It really isn't surprising that a team obviously going nowhere like the Reds is not making trades. There are a lot of teams going nowhere not making trades. We have Linebrink for 3 minor leaguers, Kenny Lofton to the Indians, and Izturis to the Pirates. Last year's big deadline deal was Carlos Lee for Cordero and Mench.

I would love to see some movement, but as everyone has pointed out, if the offers are poor, do not make deals just for activity.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Last year's big deadline deal was Carlos Lee for Cordero and Mench.
    Which interestingly enough was made between basically non-contenders.

Texas unloaded salary(both Mench and Cordero were expensive) and got a bat they could not sign.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Nah. Some other guy would step up an convert 80% of his save chances. That's how Weathers ended up with the job in the first place.

It might take a painful shock like that to finally convince Castellini to make some meaningful changes. If the Reds keep chugging along at 70-75 wins, Cast will be content to just buy new windshield wipers instead of fixing the problems in the engine.
    Good point on your first thought.

A big ole "huh?" to your last sentence. What "proof" other than wild speculation do you have that Cast would do that? Other than trying to connect some random and imagined dots Cast has done nothing to show that all he wants is a 70-75 win team with a few tweaks here and there.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Good point on your first thought.

A big ole "huh?" to your last sentence. What "proof" other than wild speculation do you have that Cast would do that? Other than trying to connect some random and imagined dots Cast has done nothing to show that all he wants is a 70-75 win team with a few tweaks here and there.
    I don't think Cast is content with 75 wins at all. I think he's content with making tweaks to a 75 win team and trying to squeeze out an extra 12-15 wins somewhere along the line. Unfortunately, I think the current Reds team is already being squeezed so hard that it's ears are about to pop.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

You have to remember the deadline isn't July 31st but Augest 30th.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    You have to remember the deadline isn't July 31st but Augest 30th.
    Good point. I keep thinking that some of the Conine types might be moved after the first deadline.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I think Cast thinks Krivsky can tweak 70 to 95 and has no real clue on what it would take to create sustainable 90+ game winner.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

That's true, but players have to pass through the revocable waivers after July 31. If a player is a known trade target and he doesn't have a lot of money coming due, odds are decent he'll be blocked.
    Not all who wander are lost

I wonder if the general reaction of the baseball world to all of the wacky contracts given out over the offseason (ie, Mathews Jr, Pierre, Mench, et al) is factoring into so many GM's unwillingness to go hog wild this trade deadline?

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I think Cast thinks Krivsky can tweak 70 to 95 and has no real clue on what it would take to create sustainable 90+ game winner.
    I know this is an ongoing question, but you know this how?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    It's an opinion, just like everything else on this board. RedsManRick even prefaced it with "I think..."

No one is claiming to have "The Truth" here. We're all just sharing opinions. That's understood.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Posting on a message board is like writing a paper. You don't have to keep stating that something if your opinion, or your perspective. You can work on the assumption that we don't actually KNOW what Reds officials/players are thinking. Just read every post as if there's a "It is my opinion that..." in front of it, unless somebody clear indicates that they have some special knowledge.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Posting on a message board is like writing a paper. You don't have to keep stating that something if your opinion, or your perspective. You can work on the assumption that we don't actually KNOW what Reds officials/players are thinking. Just read every post as if there's a "It is my opinion that..." in front of it, unless somebody clear indicates that they have some special knowledge.
    And you base your opinion that BCast is clueless on what? 18 months of ownership and we aren't in the world series?

All isn't perfect in Redsland by any strech of the imgaine, but it's a little early to damn the ownership and FO to "utter imcomptence" because they haven't unraveled years long tangle of rot and neglect.

Turn Off Ads?