Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Will the Reds pick up Dunn's option?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they will pick up the option.

72 91.14%
  • No, they will decline the option.

7 8.86%
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the Reds pick up Dunn's option?

Will the Reds pick up Dunn's option?

Yesterday during the game (2nd inning), Marty sounded 100% sure that the Reds can't afford to pick up Dunn's option. When he was discussing trades with John Fay, Marty said (exact words):

"Dont you think this team has to move somebody by August 1st, like players that won't be back next year....Adam Dunn's not gonna be back here next year, lets face facts, its a 13 million dollar option. I cant imagine this team is going to take the risk of picking up his option and then try to trade him."
    He said this so emphatically that he knew it was the case.

Personally, I was shocked when I heard this. To me, I don't think there is a chance in the world that the Reds won't pick it up if he isn't traded.

WHAT DO YOU THINK THE REDS WILL DO? Not what do you want them to do, or what you think they should do. What will they do?

I just want to see who is crazy here, me or Marty.

****Disclaimer, this is NOT a Marty bashing thread, or an Adam Dunn thread. This IS a "Will the Reds pick up his option?"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will the Reds pick up Dunn's option?

I must add that neither Fay or Marty realized that Dunn cannot be traded until June 15, iirc, if the option is picked up.

From mlb4u.com:

the deal includes a Team Option for 2008 worth 13M or a 500K buyout- + the option is eliminated if he is traded- + he receives a 500K assignment bonus if traded- + the value of the option could rise to 16M with award-based escalators- + if the option is exercised, he receives a complete a no-trade clause until June 15, 2008 (after that date he can select 19 teams to which he cannot be traded to w/out his consent)
    I think I accidentally made the results hidden, if they can somehow not be hidden, someone take care of that. Thanks.
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 07-27-2007 at 02:09 PM.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I'd say that there is zero chance it won't be picked up.

They would be insane to turn it down.

I think marty is in for a big shock, unless Wayne decides to just dump Dunn for nothing he'll still be here manning LF next year
    Go Gators!

Can I answer this after the trading deadline passes?

I just don't understand why, if he's not traded, it wouldn't be picked up. To get draft picks, they'd have to offer arbitration. If they lose arbitration, they might find out that $13mm is a "deal".
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Wishful thinking and lobbying on Marty's part.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Oh yeah, Marty's comments yesterday made me laugh. I just threw it in the ever growing pile of 'Things Marty says that he has no freakin clue what he is talking about'.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    They would be insane to turn it down.

I think marty is in for a big shock, unless Wayne decides to just dump Dunn for nothing he'll still be here manning LF next year
    Maybe the Reds decide to dump Marty? Might he be chomping at the bit to be rid of his favorite whipping boy?

I think they'll pick up Dunn's option - the price tag doesn't phase me (of course, it's not MY money!).

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I voted "no", but honestly, I'm not getting a good read on this Dunn situation anymore. Either way would not shock me
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 07-27-2007 at 02:19 PM.

If hes not traded, then yes they will pick up his option.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Oh yeah, Marty's comments yesterday made me laugh. I just threw it in the ever growing pile of 'Things Marty says that he has no freakin clue what he is talking about'.
    I'm a big Marty fan, but yea, his comments yesterday were goofy. Later in the game Marty said something to Thom to the effect of, "Here's your man, Dunn".

But to the point of the thread...I think they pick up the option. It appears they are not getting the haul of players in return they had hoped. I think they pick up the option, enjoy the production and then either see if they can work out another extension with him, work on trading him next year.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

I voted yes. I think they have set the bar very high for a trade and no one is going to part with what the Reds are asking. $13 million won't be a huge increase when you consider they will be out from under Milton's contract. It's basically a wash.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

The chances of the Reds not picking up that option are the same as you throwing a rock and missing the Earth.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

He's either being traded or the option is being picked up. If the Reds really didn't want him, then he would be traded for prospects. If he is a Red passed the deadline, then you can bet your life the Reds are prepared to pay him some money.

Turn Off Ads?