Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weathers -- OFF the block?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Weathers -- OFF the block?

CNN
    As if the relief market isn't weak enough, word is David Weathers has been pulled off the block. His $3.1 million salary for 2008 is just too much of a bargain for Cincy to give up.

Mistake (if true) in my book....the guy is pitching out of his mind...I'd rather it be another team's problem when he returns back to Earth.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Weathers -- OFF the block?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    CNN
    As if the relief market isn't weak enough, word is David Weathers has been pulled off the block. His $3.1 million salary for 2008 is just too much of a bargain for Cincy to give up.

Mistake (if true) in my book....the guy is pitching out of his mind...I'd rather it be another team's problem when he returns back to Earth.
    It's all dependent on the offers, just like with any player.

If a serious prospect is offered, it's probably a mistake to pull him. If it's all unknown A ballers, then it might not be the worst thing in the world.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    CNN

Absolutely, he needs to go. Even though he could be a quite valuable 7th-8th inning guy next yr assuming the Closer role is filled. In other words as always if we are bowled over then make the deal. If the return isn't gonna actually make us any better down the road why bother.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I will never get that period from last year out of my head where he was absolutely abysmal and Narron sent him out everyday. I always fear he will suddenly revert back to that. If you get a good offer trade him and don't think twice.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Absolutely, he needs to go. Even though he could be a quite valuable 7th-8th inning guy next yr assuming the Closer role is filled. In other words as always if we are bowled over then make the deal. If the return isn't gonna actually make us any better down the road why bother.
    He's under contract for next season too -- if the offers aren't blowing anyone away right now, it doesn't make any sense to deal him.

Its not like the market for relief pitching is going anywhere -- if the Reds want to deal David Weathers, there should be another opportunity to deal him in the offseason.

Its frustrating, but if the offers aren't there it doesn't make sense just to throw talent away for the sake of throwing it away.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Wayne does not talk to the media about anything, so for CNN of all news programs, to say he is off the market, yea we have to believe that.................

I say he is still on the market. If he was 30 and pitching like this, than I would hold onto him. He is way past that and time to let him complete his career on a good note with a chance to play in the playoffs. He is a great person to have in the bullpen and around the clubhouse, but lets get something for him.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alexad View Post
    Wayne does not talk to the media about anything, so for CNN of all news programs, to say he is off the market, yea we have to believe that.................

I say he is still on the market. If he was 30 and pitching like this, than I would hold onto him. He is way past that and time to let him complete his career on a good note with a chance to play in the playoffs. He is a great person to have in the bullpen and around the clubhouse, but lets get something for him.
    If he's not on the market, the Reds are dumb....I have no problem keeping him if the offers are nothing but "blah" as others have said.

Don't "pull him off the block" because of how he's pitching right now....mistake. He WILL NOT pitch like this next season...I feel pretty comfortable saying that.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Its not like the market for relief pitching is going anywhere -- if the Reds want to deal David Weathers, there should be another opportunity to deal him in the offseason.
    Perhaps, but you'd have to think the market for David Weathers will never be stronger than it is right now. After all, he's NEVER pitched this well before.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Taking him "off the market" might improve the quality of the offers.

I said in another thread that I think the loss of Weathers has the potential to cost the 2007 Reds more games than would the loss of anyone else on the roster. I usually prefer to take the long view and build for the future, but I can at least understand why the FO would be reluctant to part with Weathers.

Really, all this tells me is that the Reds, as an organization, don't plan on spending much money this offseason or trying to get better. If they are going to keep David Weathers for 2008 that means they have an important role lined up for him. If they have an important role lined up for him, we're in trouble.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Really, all this tells me is that the Reds, as an organization, don't plan on spending much money this offseason or trying to get better. If they are going to keep David Weathers for 2008 that means they have an important role lined up for him. If they have an important role lined up for him, we're in trouble.
    Of course, you could always look at it that if the Reds ARE planning to spend money in the offseason to get better, they're better off hanging onto reasonably priced talent than cutting it loose and having to buy a replacement at, potentially, a higher price.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

I just don't get that. They guy has pitched really well and is signed cheap for next year. Keeping him doesn't tell us anything about what their plans are other than that they know their BP sucks and they don't want to have to replace the one guy who's provided any semblance of consistency.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Of course, you could always look at it that if the Reds ARE planning to spend money in the offseason to get better, they're better off hanging onto reasonably priced talent than cutting it loose and having to buy a replacement at, potentially, a higher price.

I could look at it that way, (and I did at first) but then FCB would make fun of me.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Hopefully he'll be here next year as set-up to Cordero.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I just don't get that. They guy has pitched really well and is signed cheap for next year. Keeping him doesn't tell us anything about what their plans are other than that they know their BP sucks and they don't want to have to replace the one guy who's provided any semblance of consistency.
    Yeah. That's exactly the stance I took at first (and maybe I'm just grumpy Wayne's not making any deals, when I feel he should).

Weathers is really the only RP that can get hitters out right now and that's pretty much a fact. If he were to be traded, we'd be absolutely dismal after he left from the 6th inning on. Weathers is signed to an affordable contract next year. They also have Stanton signed for next year (and likely won't move him). The guy they are looking to move is Coffey. I don't see the Reds spending TONS of money this offseason, especially on a closer. I also haven't seen the Reds throw many of their younger arms in important spots in the game thus far this year. That says to me that David Weathers is going to be penciled in as the closer next year. If he wasn't thought to be the leading candidate they'd either 1) trade him for good, young prospects, or 2) give important innings to younger guys to try them out. As I said, they aren't doing either of those.

I can see holding on to Weathers. He does have a very affordable contract for next year and bullpen help is what they need almost more than anything else. Why trade away the guy that you so desperately need? Well, you trade him away if you had given a shot to Burton, Guevara, Medlock, Salmon, etc and saw that they could perhaps do the job (and thus making Weathers not as important) and if you are being offered two younger power arms that you could use in his place, or two useful pieces for 2008 and beyond. I think Weathers could draw that kind of return, personally. Why hold on to the guy you're depending on for the rest of this year and next year when we likely won't be competing for anything instead of trading him and getting guys that could be part of the nucleus you are building for a championship run?
    Last edited by Red Leader; 07-27-2007 at 02:59 PM.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?