Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadline Notes 7/27

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Deadline Notes 7/27

Just some tidbits I p/u from Buster Olney's chat. Some Reds related some not so much, but it all intertwines doesn't it? It should give us all a good indication of whether or not a team is dealing and who they want/will give up or not.

(Posted before the Linebrink deal, Sources are good!)
    Chris (madison): Hey Buster, Doug Melvin recently shot down the trade rumors surrounding Dunn to Milwaukee (thank god, that would be an unneeded addition). Are you hearing anything else out of Brewers camp concerning trades? What are they targeting, since there isn't a glaring hole anywhere on the roster?

Buster Olney: Chris: Talked to Doug the other day, and they are looking for relief help; they've had to work their bullpen a lot in the first half, and they're looking for some kind of experienced reliever to help... That's more important than a hitter.

TEX PART I
    Dan (Boston): Hey Buster, I heard the Sox are showcasing Lester tonight and maybe looking to trade him for Tex. Any truth?

Buster Olney: Dan: No, don't think so. I think they're just trying to upgrade the rotation -- although am hearing today that the asking price for Teixeira is dropping; the perception of a couple of rival executives is that the Rangers are intent on making the best deal and moving on (think Padres, Sheffield, 1993...)
    TEX PART II
    Matt, Philly: If what you're saying is true about Texeira, wouldn't the Yankees stand a pretty good chance in swinging that deal? Assuming they're interested (they must be). I mean, they've got a lot of secon-tier prospects having great years surrounded by hype (Alan Horne, Jeff Marquez, Chase Wright). You think you could just throw a lot of B-level pitching at the Rangers and it'll stick?

Buster Olney: Matt: -- Yankees have been told they must include either Hughes or Chamberlain in any Teixeira deal, and that won't happen.
    TEX PART III
    Dan (NY): So basically Buster, if what you say is true...it will cost the Yankees a top prospect for Tex, but for other teams, it will come down to the best offer on the table?

Buster Olney: Dan: I wish I could give you a better answer about how the price for Teixeira is going down, but that's what some execs are saying; the last word I got on the Yankees/Rangers talks, however, was that Texas was saying that either Chamberlain or Hughes would have to be involved. That could change, of course... GMs are talking a ton these days. Remember how last year, the Phillies kept saying, no, no, no on Abreu to the Yankees, and then at the last second, they capitulated, in order to dump him. That's the most important development in the Teixeira thing, at this point -- the perception is that the Rangers seem intent on cutting and running, making their best deal possible and moving on. He makes sense for Atlanta, in particular.

(Says alot about the Twins)
    Greg (MN): Who is on the Twins' radar? Please say a 3B or DH-type.

Buster Olney: Greg: You've probably seen this -- they've activated Rondell White.
    (NO Kyle Lohse in the ATL?)
    Shar (Durham): Buster, as always, great work lately. What is the Braves' biggest priority: SP, RP, or 1B? Until last night I thought it was a starter, but I think Reyes/Carlyle is a workable 4/5, and the bullpen (Wickman and Soriano mostly) has been scarily hittable. Or should they go hard after Teixiera/Dmitri Young?

Buster Olney: Shar: Offense. There is a sense that the Braves aren't enamored with the high prices for mediocre pitching, and are looking to upgrade their offense. That said, my colleague Peter Gammons had a note yesterday that Chicago and the Braves talked about Renteria/Garland...
    (Busy Guy, but why are GM's calling him?)
    Buster Olney: I'll be right with you guys... GM call...
    (Why deal for anyone if Rodney and Zumaya are on the way?)
    Adam (Detroit): Buster, can I get a response? Do you see the Tigers picking up a middle reliever such as Eric Gagne or Joe Nathan?

Buster Olney: Adam: They're talking about it, but I don't know if they'll necessarily pull the trigger, because they are optimistic about getting Rodney back in a couple of weeks, and Zumaya back on Sept. 1. My guess is that yes, they'll get one of the many relievers available on the market...
    (Oooh, this as always will get the natives restless)
    Clint (Cincinnati, OH): Buster, Can you talk at legth about Adam Dunn's future in Cincinnati? Is there anyway that he could end up staying long term and being a cornerstone of that franchise? This is what I am hoping will happen and hopefully why he hasn't been dealt yet.

Buster Olney: Clint: Here's the problem for the Reds -- Dunn is perceived as a star in Cincinnati, and execs with other teams view him as a dangerous but flawed hitter, and a subpar defensive player. So while the Reds want good return for Dunn, other teams are privately saying that he's not worth a trade package. Tough situation...
    (Is this good or bad, I vote good?!)
    Kyle (Philly): Is Arroyo on the market? Where might he be going? I hear he loves cheesesteaks. We all know Livan loves cheesesteaks but I dont think his long balls and Citizens Park would mix well.

Buster Olney: Kyle: Teams have asked about Arroyo, and find the prices to be really high...

(Are they really counting on Wood to solidify anything?)
    Kenton (Indianapolis): Buster, are the Cubs looking to make any moves before the deadline? What position do they need to improve the most?

Buster Olney: Kenton: Bullpen help, but I wonder if their enthusiasm for making a deal will be tempered if Kerry Wood continues to show progress... No need to overpay if you really think help is on the way.

(Ok no more Kemp or Billingsley talk, But Eithier and Kershaw are still on the table.)
    Jeff (indianpolis, IN): Please tell me Colletti dosen't trade away some of these great Dodger prospects for a rent-a-wreck middle reliever/Starter?

Buster Olney: Jeff: The Dodgers have a core of prospects that they don't want to touch. Anybody outside the core, they'll talk about... But I don't think they'll trade Loney or Kemp or Billingsley or LaRoche...

(Oh please this isn't even close, HEY BOSS!!)
    Joe (MI): Who's the best prospect? Jay Bruce, Cameron Maybin, or Hunter Pence?

Buster Olney: Joe: I haven't seen Maybin or Bruce in person but hear nothing but good things about them, but on the other hand ... There's not much to not like about Pence, who is a great combo of talent and great makeup. I do wonder what a top hitting prospect would do in Cincinnati's ballpark; that could get ridiculous. Imagine a Miguel Cabrera in Cincinnati?

(And so the world continues to turn)
    Jesse (NJ): Buster: Show some M's love. Are the mariners going to make a deal by the deadline and will it make them competitive for the wild card

Buster Olney: Jesse: They're poking around on starting pitching, just in case, but Jeff Weaver has been good of late, so they're not as motivated as they might have been. I think Weaver has allowed 1 earnie or less in five of his last six starts...
    (End of debate about Duncan!)
    Eric (Flint, MI): Does Shelly Duncan have enough upside and fielding ability that you could see the Yankees staying away from a guy like Hunter and use a rotation of Matsui, Melky, and decent free agent like Byrnes, and Duncan as a fourth for the 2008 season?

Buster Olney: Eric: I have not seen him play on a regular basis, but those who have say he's a DH. Pure and simple.

(Why bother dealing when you are in the catbird seat?)
    Phil (Portland, ME): hey buster whats up with now answering Mike's sox question? Theo always gets sox fans thinking he will make a big splash before the deadline, every year we have needs and he backs off in the end, what percent chance would you give him of coming through? and for who?

Buster Olney: Phil: I do think the Sox will do some tinkering, adding someone like a Reggie Sanders or Bobby Kielty, moving Wily Mo Pena, but there really isn't a lot of pressure on them to make a big deal. They've got Lester coming back tonight, Schilling in a couple of weeks, they've got a good solid lead in the division, 15 games left against Tampa Bay... I bet they add a reliever, but I can't imagine them making some big Nomar-like blockbuster this year. We'll see...
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Deadline Notes 7/27

Buster Olney: Clint: Here's the problem for the Reds -- Dunn is perceived as a star in Cincinnati, and execs with other teams view him as a dangerous but flawed hitter, and a subpar defensive player. So while the Reds want good return for Dunn, other teams are privately saying that he's not worth a trade package. Tough situation...
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, Buster... he's not great in the field, but in the American League he wouldn't have to play the field.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

That sums it up perfectly. Absolutely perfectly. How many debates have we had about Dunn on this board, and that statement is the definitive summary of the Adam Dunn dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    That sums it up perfectly. Absolutely perfectly. How many debates have we had about Dunn on this board, and that statement is the definitive summary of the Adam Dunn dilemma.
    I don't specifically agree.

He's viewed as a star/special talent by some in Cincinnati, while others view him as a no fielding K machine.

Basically there are all sorts of opinions here on Dunn, and it only takes one GM outside Cincinnati to look at him as a potential building block to open the coffers. We don't need 29 others, just 1 other.

If you are of a mind to trade him.

I personally am not.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I'll say this, he (Dunn) has looked good to this point this season. He started a bit slower than usual but has come on strong especially as of late. His season looks much better than the norm for my tastes. IMO he has improved this season.

If he sustains it through Aug/Sept he has shown me something bigger than the #'s.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, Buster... he's not great in the field, but in the American League he wouldn't have to play the field.
    Right but there was also that part about dangerous but flawed.....

And thats the problem that drives Dunn's trade value down..... he's viewed as a compromise for most FO's but has entered the part of his career where he'll be paid like a team's first choice...
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

More insight into the minds of the Professional Baseball GM. The link also provides a position-by-position breakdown.

http://http://sportsillustrated.cnn....oop/index.html

Setting the table
    Who's going where, who's staying put at deadline?
    Posted: Friday July 27, 2007 11:31AM; Updated: Friday July 27, 2007 5:01PM

This, according to one American League GM, is "the worst trade deadline ever."

The GM didn't provide the reasons why this trading season carries all the potential to bore us into oblivion. But the five main ones are these:

1) With parity, nearly everyone thinks they're in the race, and thus hold on to their players;

2) The truly bad teams have little starting pitching;

3) The worst teams are also cheap teams, meaning their players make little money and provide no impetus to be moved;

4) Even in this golden era where everyone (yes, everyone) is making money, the value of top prospects who won't be paid the big bucks for a few years is off-the-board now (even the Yankees want to keep them); and

5) GMs of non-contending teams are afraid to worsen their situations by daring to make a misstep.

Credit goes to Rangers GM Jon Daniels, who has taken hits for a couple deals that haven't worked, and yet is doing the right thing by working overtime trying to remake his team before next Tuesday's trade deadline. Meanwhile, GMs of many other non-contenders are standing pat, apparently happy no one's calling attention to their mediocre-to-poor situations.

It's a shame, because those do-nothing GMs/owners are doing a disservice to their organizations and their fans. When a GM of a team that is absolutely out of it tells the Yankees he'd need to be "blown away" to consider trading a veteran middle reliever, and means it, that is nothing short of malpractice.

What we're left with is one headliner who'll probably go (Texas' Mark Teixeira), a couple power hitters who may go (Jermaine Dye and Adam Dunn), a bunch of complementary players, a few run-of-the-mill second basemen, a smattering of interesting relievers (Eric Gagne, Octavio Dotel and Chad Cordero) and a truly uninspiring roster of starting pitchers, not one who'll significantly impact a pennant race.

P-B-P Breakdown Blurbs.

Hitters:
    2. Dunn, Reds
    His value appears to be diminished by his indifferent defense and ineffective clutch hitting. He'd help all three Southern California teams and Milwaukee's been mentioned, but he's probably best-suited for the AL, where he could DH.
    Best guess: Southern Cal.
    4. Ken Griffey, Jr., Reds
    He's a homebody who doesn't seem to mind losing all that much and won't OK trades. Best guess: He stays.
    Others who could go somewhere:
    13. Jeff Conine, 18. Scott Hatteberg
    Starting Pitchers:
    Others who may go: 6. Kyle Lohse
    Relief Pitchers:
    9. David Weathers, Reds
    The latest word is that Cincinnati wants to keep him. Weathers has turned in an excellent season as a surprise closer.
    Best guess: He stays.
    Others who may go: 15. Mike Stanton

--Woody Hayes

GMs of non-contending teams are afraid to worsen their situations by daring to make a misstep.
    Especially those who have already made their fair share it would appear.

Credit goes to Rangers GM Jon Daniels, who has taken hits for a couple deals that haven't worked, and yet is doing the right thing by working overtime trying to remake his team before next Tuesday's trade deadline. Meanwhile, GMs of many other non-contenders are standing pat, apparently happy no one's calling attention to their mediocre-to-poor situations.

It's a shame, because those do-nothing GMs/owners are doing a disservice to their organizations and their fans. When a GM of a team that is absolutely out of it tells the Yankees he'd need to be "blown away" to consider trading a veteran middle reliever, and means it, that is nothing short of malpractice.
    and

The worst teams are also cheap teams,
    Couldn't possibly be talking about this shining example of a successful franchise could he?

More notes and this one just may be the most interesting of them all. From John Fay.

Fay

Saturday, July 28, 2007
    My theory

I caught the end of last night's game in bar full of Cubs fans. They went from way up to way down pretty quickly. That was one very nice play by Ryan Freel and David Ross. Edwin Encarnacion's big night came at a good time for him. When Alex Gonzalez comes back, Pete Mackanin is going to be looking for places to play Jeff Keppinger. And Keppinger plays third.

Anyway, my theory, which I'll explore further in my Sunday Reds Insider, is that the Reds won't do a lot at the trade deadline. I think they'll trade Kyle Lohse and maybe Scott Hatteberg and/or Jeff Conine. Why? This is simply my theory, but I think Wayne Krivsky wants to give Mackanin an opportunity to get the permanent job.

If the Reds trade Adam Dunn, David Weathers and Bronson Arroyo for prospects, it would be difficult to continue to play as well as they have under Mackanin. By the way, the way the Reds are playing .636 baseball under Mackanin. If they play that well the rest of the way, they'd finish 81-81. That's the magic number (or numbers) for Mackanin to get the job in my opinion.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 07-28-2007 at 01:31 PM.

--Woody Hayes

If Hatte is not traded this week, I will be VERY dissapointed. His value is peaking and Votto is very ready to take over.

More notes from around the league: (BTW Many notes from this link, including Dunn stuff but just re-hashed stuff)

Link

According to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal, the Red Sox had a three-way deal in place for Jermaine Dye that fell through because of an unspecified issue with a player from the third club.

The third club is unknown. Dye apparently was willing to go to the Red Sox, who were promising to play him five times per week. Something still might happen here. We're guessing Wily Mo Pena and more would go to the unspecified third team. Jul. 27 - 10:59 pm et
    Including this snippet:

(Kyle) Lohse is attracting interest from two other NL West contenders, the Dodgers and Diamondbacks, as well as the Mariners and other clubs.
    (What would it take?)
    The A's will listen on right-hander Joe Blanton, according to one rival executive. However, it remains highly unlikely that they would move Blanton, a 200-inning workhorse who is enjoying his best statistical season.
    Closer Huston Street would be in play only if the A's received an extraordinary offer.

--Woody Hayes

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    If Hatte is not traded this week, I will be VERY dissapointed. His value is peaking and Votto is very ready to take over.
    Something tells me the Reds will keep Hatteberg and deal Conine. Reason I believe that is Hatteberg has a option for next season and he could be platooning with Votto at first while Votto also may get some playing time in LF aswell.

Conine has also stated that this will be his last season as he looks to retire after this year.
    "I could watch video of Griffey swinging all day. It's like baseball porn." - C. Trent Rosecrans

2008 Reds Record When I Attend: 9W - 5L

2009 Reds Record When I Attend: 1W - 2L

2010 Reds Record When I Attend: 1W - 0L

2011 Reds Record When I Attend: 0W - 1L

And the hits just keep on coming....Igawa anyone (The recently optioned to AAA Igawa)

MLB Trade Rumors

Apparently the Mariners have some interest in twice-demoted Yankees starter Kei Igawa, according to an uncited TV report. The report pleased Ichiro Suzuki and Kenji Johjima.

Igawa is locked up through 2011, which may or may not be a positive. He earns another $1.5MM this year plus $4MM annually through the end of the contract. The posting fee situation ensures that Igawa's salary is really cheap, the price a team might pay for a semi-utility guy like Mark DeRosa. If Igawa can be league average in the comfy confines of Safeco, he's a bargain. More likely he'd have value to an NL team.

The Mariners were in on Igawa this offseason, along with the Padres, Diamondbacks, Dodgers, Braves, Mets, Cubs, Tigers, and Indians. Igawa was said to prefer playing on the West Coast. The 28 year-old had a decent strikeout rate but has otherwise been rocked in 62 innings as a Yankee.

Meanwhile Dan Graziano says the Mariners are entertaining practically every available starter. He says they're "hot on the trail" of Jason Jennings. I still think Jennings stays put.

Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times has a few new names for us: the Mariners have "serious interest" in reliever Al Reyes and may go for Edwin Jackson as well.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Something tells me the Reds will keep Hatteberg and deal Conine. Reason I believe that is Hatteberg has a option for next season and he could be platooning with Votto at first while Votto also may get some playing time in LF aswell.

Conine has also stated that this will be his last season as he looks to retire after this year.
    Can you platoon two left handed hitters at one position?

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Can you platoon two left handed hitters at one position?
    Why not.. you know what you're getting with Hatteberg and as far as Votto.. we just have to see how he fares against major league pitching.
    "I could watch video of Griffey swinging all day. It's like baseball porn." - C. Trent Rosecrans

2008 Reds Record When I Attend: 9W - 5L

2009 Reds Record When I Attend: 1W - 2L

2010 Reds Record When I Attend: 1W - 0L

2011 Reds Record When I Attend: 0W - 1L

Turn Off Ads?