4 11.76%
  • No - I don't want to obstruct the views of those behind me

30 88.24%

Thread: umbrellas at the ballpark?

umbrellas at the ballpark?

Yes - I need to stay dry - screw everyone else
    No - It obstructs the view for those behind me

I really just wanted this to be a poll, not a thread like this...sorry
    Last edited by Red in Chicago; 07-27-2007 at 10:24 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: umbrellas at the ballpark?

Plastic raincoat/parkas. You better not put up an umbrella in front of me at a ballgame, unless you sit way down and make sure you don't obstruct my view.

No thundersticks blocking my view from the front or banging behind me either.

And stay off my lawn.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

I don't use umbrellas to begin with, so no.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Plastic raincoat/parkas. You better not put up an umbrella in front of me at a ballgame, unless you sit way down and make sure you don't obstruct my view.

And stay off my lawn.

I hear that. You won't have it up very long.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post

And stay off my lawn.

Great post!

Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

If your umbrella blocks someone else's view, there's no way we can be friends. If I had a wife do that, I'd divorce her. If my child did that, I'd put herhim up for adoption. If my dog did that, I'd put him down. You get the idea.

The White Sox gave out umbrellas at a game back in ninteen hundred and eighty four. I still have mine.

But I wear my snazzy Reds plastic thing if it start raining. Not the one the same weight as saran wrap, oh no, I sprung for the super duper heavy duty one.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Most definitely no. "Ever hear of a rain coat?" would be my reply. I don't use umbrellas either.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

I took the family to a game in Atlanta a few years ago and it rained all day and throughout the game. About a 2 hour delay before it started.

I wouldn't let them take their umbrellas in, so we found a Braves gift shop and they all bought those cheap, thin plastic rain ponchos. Problem was, they had freakin' Braves logos all over them. I refused to wear one, no way, no how. They already thought I was crazy, but this confirmed it. I told them I would sit there and soak before I'd ever put on a Braves logo rain poncho.

Luckily for me, just before we got to the park we finally found a place that had clear plastic with no logo and I was vindicated. They sold out, but not me, baby. I'm considering writing them back into my will in a couple of years. Probation, you know. Gotta make sure they learned their lesson.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    If your umbrella blocks someone else's view, there's no way we can be friends. If I had a wife do that, I'd divorce her. If my child did that, I'd put herhim up for adoption. If my dog did that, I'd put him down. You get the idea.
    Tell us how you really feel!

As an aside, if I'm going to a game with a bad forecast, I'm bringing my golfing raingear with me. I've survived monsoons with that stuff.

FWIW, they are banned at Portland's ballpark, and you know how it rains in Portland.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The whole question seems moot to me since baseball isn't played in the rain, unlike other outdoor sports. Using an umbrella at a crowded football game? That's just asking for trouble.

If it's raining hard enough at the ballpark to justify using an umbrella, chances are that there isn't any baseball happening on the field. If there isn't any baseball being played, what's the point of staying at your seat if it's not under an overhang? If you're one of those diehards who stays in your seat while it's raining and no game is being played, why should it matter to the wet fools behind you whether you're under an umbrella?

I'd vote to bring the umbrella to the baseball game, in case it is needed for the walk between the stadium and the car. When the rain comes, it's time to head for the shelter of the concourse and wait it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    The whole question seems moot to me since baseball isn't played in the rain, unlike other outdoor sports. Using an umbrella at a crowded football game? That's just asking for trouble.

If it's raining hard enough at the ballpark to justify using an umbrella, chances are that there isn't any baseball happening on the field. If there isn't any baseball being played, what's the point of staying at your seat if it's not under an overhang? If you're one of those diehards who stays in your seat while it's raining and no game is being played, why should it matter to the wet fools behind you whether you're under an umbrella?

I'd vote to bring the umbrella to the baseball game, in case it is needed for the walk between the stadium and the car. When the rain comes, it's time to head for the shelter of the concourse and wait it out.
    Guess you weren't watching last night.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

I hate umbrellas. I hate hate hate umbrellas. If every grain of sand on every beach in the world were a grain of hate, it would not be one-tenth of the amount of hate that I have for umbrellas. People put them up if there is literally not a drizzle, not a SPRINKLE. If the air is misty, they put them up and pay absolutey no heed to the fact that they're walking around with a dangerous weapon in front of them. All thoughts only toward the bubble that encompasses them. I spend all my time on rainy days trying to avoid getting my eyes poked out by oblivious umbrella carriers who, were they to put down their umbrellas, might -- MIGHT -- get a drop of fog in a single one of their pores. Get a goddang hat with a brim. It does the same job and doesn't threaten the lives of others, nor does it leave pools indoors everywhere you go.

As for the ballpark, if you must, get an umbrella hat. Then you can be cool like this guy:

But really. If it's just drizzling, it's not going to hurt you. If it's raining hard, face it, you're going to go up and get undercover anyway. Why do you need an umbrella? God I hate umbrellas.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Ponchos for all.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?