Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Strange play in the Snakes/Braves game

Strange play in the Snakes/Braves game

2 out and nobody on in a 7-6 game and PH Escobar draws a walk. As he gets to first Valverde has his back to him pulling on a sock, both Hudson and Drew are walking back to their positions with their backs turned so Escobar takes off for 2nd and makes it without a throw as no one ever moved to cover 2nd.

Have never seen anything like it.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Strange play in the Snakes/Braves game

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    2 out and nobody on in a 7-6 game and PH Escobar draws a walk. As he gets to first Valverde has his back to him pulling on a sock, both Hudson and Drew are walking back to their positions with their backs turned so Escobar takes off for 2nd and makes it without a throw as no one ever moved to cover 2nd.

Have never seen anything like it.
    My son's Knothole team used to practice that play. Worked quite a lot. I'm guessing few of these players have seen that play since then!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often when the pitcher is wandering around the mound.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Any video of the play? I can't find any?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Any video of the play? I can't find any?
    it happened in the 9th. The next batter, Harris, blooped a single to left to tie the game.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I love heads up plays like that! Once, when I was in high school, I went form second to third on a sacrifice fly. As I was getting up from my slide, our third base coach realized both the pitcher and catcher had come to back-up third on the play and home plate wasn't covered. All three of us took off for home and I scored easily. The homeplate umpire could hardly stand up he was laughing so hard.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

From the Atlanta Constitution Journal

he Braves tied the score with a run in the ninth against closer Jose Valverde, who converted 10 consecutive saves and 31 of 34 before Friday. He blew this one because of his carelessness and Escobar's alertness.

Escobar drew a two-out walk as a pinch-hitter, then stole second when Valverde took his eye off him and bent to adjust his cleats. Neither middle infielder covered the base in time when Valverde saw Escobar dashing toward it.

"He's always alert," Cox said of Escobar, a dynamic talent who's quickly carved out a role with the Braves. "That's the way you're supposed to play the game."

I've often wondered why an aggressive and alert baserunner doesn't steal on an intentional ball when the pitcher and catcher are lobbing the ball back and forth to each other. Sometimes the P and C aren't paying a lot of attention to the runners.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    From the Atlanta Constitution JournalHe's always alert," Cox said of Escobar, a dynamic talent who's quickly carved out a role with the Braves. "That's the way you're supposed to play the game."
    Where have we seen quotes like that before?

Turn Off Ads?