Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Adu to Serie A?

Adu to Serie A?

For the soccer fans on the board, this report from Italy:

It seems after some lackluster performances in MLS, the U20 World Cup has allowed Adu to shine up his image again. I'd rather see him play in England or Spain because of the more creative offensive game. In any event, it's time for him to go and build up some skill. He should be on the call-up list for the US National Team as well, along with Altadore.

Adu to Inter via Tardini?
    Saturday 28 July, 2007

American sensation Freddy Adu could travel to Serie A for Parma before reaching his eventual destination –Inter.

The young talent born in Ghana has been a household name among talent scouts since he was 12 years old, though he resisted all attempts at a bidding war between giants like Milan, Manchester United and Barcelona.

In 2001 Adu’s mother Emelia confirmed that Inter had offered $750,000 to sign the youngster, but she preferred he grow up and develop his skills in America.

Now the Nerazzurri have revived their interest in Adu and the ‘Corriere dello Sport’ claim they set out an intricate plan to bring him to Italy.

The 18-year-old is a target for Benfica, Celtic, Manchester United, Chelsea, Tottenham and Villarreal, so they have to move fast.

It’s believed Inter will help Parma to register the player and, if the results are convincing, bring him to San Siro a year later.

It would be a similar trajectory to that of Adriano, who first really made his mark at the Stadio Tardini in 2002-03, eventually returning to Massimo Moratti’s side in January 2004.

Adu currently plays for Real Salt Lake and impressed in the recent Under-20 World Cup. His price-tag has been valued at £3.3m.
    Last edited by NJReds; 07-28-2007 at 09:37 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Adu to Serie A

Mods...please move this to the Non-Baseball forum. I shouldn't be posting so early in the a.m.

Re: Adu to Serie A?

Is this a slam of MLS, NJ?

He's always said Chelsea. I think that'd be a big mistake at this point in his career. He needs to play regularly wherever he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post

Is this a slam of MLS, NJ?

He's always said Chelsea. I think that'd be a big mistake at this point in his career. He needs to play regularly wherever he goes.
    Actually it's a slam against his performance in MLS. I think he needs to be challenged. He does need to play regularly, and he would at Parma. Interestingly enough, he'd likely be paired with Giuseppe Rossi, the American-born 'up-and-comer' that chose to go with his Italian roots and play for the Azzurini (U21).

I guess the mods are sleeping in.

If I were advising Adu, I'd steer him toward Benfica. The Portuguese Liga would be a good place to hone his game. He's not ready for the physicality of the EPL or the stifling defenses in Serie A. Portugal's been a great proving ground for South American players looking to blend their creative flair with the structure of the European game. I think that would be an ideal first step for Adu.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

NJ, I was giving you a hard time for putting this in the Minor League forum... calling MLS a minor league???

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    NJ, I was giving you a hard time for putting this in the Minor League forum... calling MLS a minor league???
    Ha. I guess you could look at it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If I were advising Adu, I'd steer him toward Benfica. The Portuguese Liga would be a good place to hone his game. He's not ready for the physicality of the EPL or the stifling defenses in Serie A. Portugal's been a great proving ground for South American players looking to blend their creative flair with the structure of the European game. I think that would be an ideal first step for Adu.
    Looks like that's where he's headed...with some other talent as well:

Benfica poised to sign US star Adu

AFP
    July 30, 2007
    LISBON (AFP) - Freddy Adu, the most recognisable name in the Major League Soccer, was on Monday poised to sign a five year deal with Portuguese side Benfica.

The Ghana-born Adu, 18, was twice named an MLS All-Star - in 2004 and 2006 - helped DC United capture the 2004 MLS Cup during his rookie season.

According to press reports here Benfica have already paid out 1.5 million euros to recruit the United states international.

Benfica are also due to sign Argentina duo Angel Di Maria and Andres Diaz.

Nice.

Turn Off Ads?